PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on pricing big game mounts...

molly
02-26-2015, 11:26 AM
The Hublet thinks he should sell some of his big game mounts as we are looking for a new place to move to, and unless we are very lucky, it is doubtful all his mounts would fit. I assume some of you have sold mounts for similar reasons...How do you put a price on them? Get a good taxidermist out to take a look? I am not that keen on the idea as these represent his accomplishments as a very successful hunter, but he is more practical than I am...:)
Do we need to do anything in particular in regards to paperwork?
Thanks!

muzzy
02-26-2015, 12:31 PM
When we built a new smaller retirement house my wife wasnt keen on the mounts coming inside so mine are all out in garage lining the walls That way I can still keep them

edmhunter
02-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Yes there is paperwork involved! Call F&W, they will let you know what paperwork is required. :)

Lefty-Canuck
02-26-2015, 12:39 PM
The Hublet thinks he should sell some of his big game mounts as we are looking for a new place to move to, and unless we are very lucky, it is doubtful all his mounts would fit. I assume some of you have sold mounts for similar reasons...How do you put a price on them? Get a good taxidermist out to take a look? I am not that keen on the idea as these represent his accomplishments as a very successful hunter, but he is more practical than I am...:)
Do we need to do anything in particular in regards to paperwork?
Thanks!

You need to obtain permits to sell, depending on what it is you have and where they were harvested....there is a limit do the number you can sell in a LIFETIME and there is a mandatory waiting period prior to them being eligible to sell....I believe 2 years.

LC

molly
02-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Yes there is paperwork involved! Call F&W, they will let you know what paperwork is required. :)

Thanks! I suspected as much but wasn't sure.

You need to obtain permits to sell, depending on what it is you have and where they were harvested....there is a limit do the number you can sell in a LIFETIME and there is a mandatory waiting period prior to them being eligible to sell....I believe 2 years.

LC

Oh, these have been around for many years!! I will call F&W regarding the permits, etc.

Lefty-Canuck
02-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks! I suspected as much but wasn't sure.

Oh, these have been around for many years!! I will call F&W regarding the permits, etc.

The 2 years is a condition placed on the item you want to sell....after obtaining permits, you cannot sell for two years....regardless of the age of the mount.

LC

Dacotensis
02-26-2015, 01:30 PM
I have room in my house if he decides to give them away;)

edmhunter
02-26-2015, 02:21 PM
The 2 years is a condition placed on the item you want to sell....after obtaining permits, you cannot sell for two years....regardless of the age of the mount.

LC

L-C is 100% correct! Even giving them away can be an issue and create hassles for yourself! Welcome to our over regulated country.

molly
02-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Just found this old thread called "Ask Fish & Wildlife"...Someone asked a similar question.

Question: Is there a limit on how many big game mounts you can sell in your lifetime if they are all legally harvested and registered under your name?

Answer: The answer to your question is contained in Section 141.1 (2) of the Wildlife Regulation. A hunter that wishes to register a mount taken under the authority of a recreational licence is limited to selling;
2 sets of trophy sheep horns,
2 sets of goat horns, or
2 grizzly bear skins.

For all other species of big game taken under the authority of a recreational licence, there is no limit on the number of mounts that can be sold in a lifetime. Only the hunter that killed the animal in Alberta under the authority of a recreational licence can register the animal for sale. Prior to selling the animal, a Registration for Sale permit is required.

I will find out more when the office is open in High River tomorrow. Still wondering how to price this stuff, if we want to sell a few. :confused:

Tundra Monkey
02-26-2015, 02:29 PM
L-C is 100% correct! Even giving them away can be an issue and create hassles for yourself! Welcome to our over regulated PROVINCE.

Fixed that for ya Sir ;)

Our country is over regulated on a lot of different levels tho :sign0176:

edmhunter
02-26-2015, 02:32 PM
How so?

It my understanding that in order to sell an animal/mount, it must be registered, then after a 2 year mandatory waiting period you may sell it, but not before.

Could be wrong??

Tundra Monkey
02-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Must be a provincial thing. Our Wildlife Act has no such provisions in it.

I'll sell you my next dall for $10k if you want :)

edit....I'm gonna keep the meat but I'll gift you a little :happy0034:

edmhunter
02-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Must be a provincial thing. Our Wildlife Act has no such provisions in it.

I'll sell you my next dall for $10k if you want :)

Sure providing you buy my 206 B&C Typical Whitetail for 15k. I'll buy the beer for the trip :)

Tundra Monkey
02-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Very tempting......we don't "officially" have deer up here.

I've never killed a whitetail :sad0125:

but I did fly over a lot of booner's on my way to kill a mulie in Texas a couple of years back!!!

Whitetails are a bucket list hunt for me......hopefully next year on your hunter host program.......wish we had one of those up here!!!!

edmhunter
02-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Very tempting......we don't "officially" have deer up here.

I've never killed a whitetail :sad0125:

but I did fly over a lot of booner's on my way to kill a mulie in Texas a couple of years back!!!

Whitetails are a bucket list hunt for me......hopefully next year on your hunter host program.......wish we had one of those up here!!!!

206 typical whitetails are harder to get then a Dall Sheep. With that said I have been thinking of going on an exotic hunt, Dall Sheep is one on my list as is Lion and Cape Buffalo and New Mexico Herd Bull Elk.

As you mentioned we do have a hunter host program in Alberta! Maybe we should talk sometime :)

Tundra Monkey
02-26-2015, 03:09 PM
206 typical whitetails are harder to get then a Dall Sheep. With that said I have been thinking of going on an exotic hunt, Dall Sheep is one on my list as is Lion and Cape Buffalo and New Mexico Herd Bull Elk.

As you mentioned we do have a hunter host program in Alberta! Maybe we should talk sometime :)

I'd have to agree with you....I've got a few dalls over the years but no whitie's, let alone a 206.

I had the opportunity to kill one last year in AB......but was too picky.

I'm gonna get er' done this Fall tho. Brown & down is gonna be the new motto :lol:

I would love to see a pic of your deer tho :cool:

edmhunter
02-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Best of luck man you will need it! Those giant deer are real smart and nocturnal, so the odds are stacked against you. I got lucky with mine, even though I have been hunting them for many years with a bow and a rifle. :)

Tundra Monkey
02-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Thax for the good luck wishes on a monster :happy0180:

I think I'm gonna set the bar a little lower.........like a spiker with backstraps I think :)

edmhunter
02-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Thax for the good luck wishes on a monster :happy0180:

I think I'm gonna set the bar a little lower.........like a spiker with backstraps I think :)

Buddy trust me, get the first one under your belt and go from there. Like I said I am considering a Dall Sheep hunt, so if you are a guide please send me a PM with your website information and I will consider it. :)

molly
02-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Well, I guess this thread got derailed...but I called F&W just now and with this many mounts, they will come to our house and affix the tags. May as well get it done now, before their busy season!
Has no one on here ever sold anything? I am still at a loss as to how to ascribe a value...I guess I will give our local taxidermist a buzz and see what he thinks.

edmhunter
02-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Sorry about that,

Values are subjective! There are no set prices for any mounts, but typically the bigger the score, the more a potential buyer would offer.

With the advent of Penned Game farming and the abundance of trophy size mounts available on the market and the mass production of replicas the market for wild trophy mounts has gone down. This is according to a friend of mine who is a taxidermist.

Again, keep in mind that the mounts if from Alberta must be registered, if they have not already been registered and you must wait 2 years before selling them, as far as I understand it.

Hope that helps. :)

molly
02-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Thank you. F&W told me certain mounts, such as sheep, have a three year waiting period.
As for who would hang someone else's mount, I suppose not everyone is willing or able to afford a $30,000. hunt or, maybe, they just like the look of a trophy on their wall! :)

purgatory.sv
02-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Just found this old thread called "Ask Fish & Wildlife"...Someone asked a similar question.

Question: Is there a limit on how many big game mounts you can sell in your lifetime if they are all legally harvested and registered under your name?

Answer: The answer to your question is contained in Section 141.1 (2) of the Wildlife Regulation. A hunter that wishes to register a mount taken under the authority of a recreational licence is limited to selling;
2 sets of trophy sheep horns,
2 sets of goat horns, or
2 grizzly bear skins.

For all other species of big game taken under the authority of a recreational licence, there is no limit on the number of mounts that can be sold in a lifetime. Only the hunter that killed the animal in Alberta under the authority of a recreational licence can register the animal for sale. Prior to selling the animal, a Registration for Sale permit is required.

I will find out more when the office is open in High River tomorrow. Still wondering how to price this stuff, if we want to sell a few. :confused:

Thank you for presenting the information in your post.

I have no clue what someone would pay, but if they are in good condition start at $300 a mount?

edmhunter
02-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Could you post pictures of the mounts you are speaking of, that would be neat!