PDA

View Full Version : Dog food poison?

Hydro1
02-26-2015, 11:10 PM
Not looking to start any sort of argument over what dog food is better and why.
Just figured i would post these links for any of you purina beneful feeders.
I personally think that the dogs had/have underlying medical problems.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1849645/lawsuit-claims-purinas-beneful-pet-food-is-killing-thousands-of-dogs/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-claims-purina-beneful-pet-food-sickens-kills-dogs/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/purina-beneful-dog-food-is-killing-or-making-ill-thousands-of-dogs-pet-owner-claims-in-lawsuit-10071647.html

boonie
02-26-2015, 11:53 PM
thanks for posting this. This is what we have been feeding our dog for the past year and just 3 weeks ago he had a seizure and a bout of diarrhea, vet figured it was some kind of toxin he injested. I think I will be changing food just to be safe.
Does anyone have any suggestions for dog food, that is actually healthy for dogs?

Brad6510
02-26-2015, 11:58 PM
My dog has a gut problem and can't have grain in his food. We feed him pulsar brand, bout $45 bucks for a 16lb bag but he's never had an issue on it and helps his coat and energy level. We get it from pet planet

The Fisherman Guy
02-27-2015, 12:29 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for dog food, that is actually healthy for dogs?

We feed Acana Grasslands, it's made in Alberta with Alberta Lamb. It also contains walleye, duck and eggs.

Check the protein content, going from a low to high protein food will cause diarrhea.

We have been very impressed with Acana, worth every penny. http://www.acana.com/products/regionals/grasslands/

Rafter1
02-27-2015, 01:19 AM
I had two border collie/ lab crosses who lived to be fourteen and a half and sixteen years old. For the earlier part of their lives I fed them Iams and a couple of other major brands, then changed to the premium foods made in Canada then I started making my own food with beef, chicken, salmon and wild game suplimented with vegetables and trace elements which I purchased from Edmonton holistic vetrinary clinic. It was hard to believe the increased energy, attitude and appearance within only a few days. I recommend this type of diet as you know exactly what your dog is eating.

artie
02-27-2015, 08:03 AM
When I am travelling with the dog I sometimes feed him canned dog food as I have had problems with the kibble getting too warm and going bad. I have noticed on some canned dog food the list of ingredients contains copper sulfate which is used to kill blue green algae in ponds. I was told there was such a small amount of copper sulfate in the food that it wold not harm the dog but who knows?

saskwildlife
02-27-2015, 08:19 AM
thanks for posting this. This is what we have been feeding our dog for the past year and just 3 weeks ago he had a seizure and a bout of diarrhea, vet figured it was some kind of toxin he injested. I think I will be changing food just to be safe.

Note that a sudden change in food will cause diarrheal also. Usually one would mix the old with new for a week or so to help the dog adjust. I'm sure you already know that!
My ms has worked as a veterinary technologist for the past 6yrs at the local small animal clinic. We feed Royal Canin 'veterinary diets'. apparently it's good stuff. Our gsd is friggen spoiled

muzzy
02-27-2015, 02:29 PM
we are feeding our three dogs Acana duck and bartlett pear They are in Morinville and make a quality product They have about 8-10 different ingredient types

friendofacatahoula
02-27-2015, 05:37 PM
I won't go on a raw rant but if you haven't researched it before there is a lot of good info and sites dedicated to educating people on its befits.

This diet is obviously not for everyone but be it the consumer "barf" style or homemade there are many benefits to raw.

rottik9
02-27-2015, 08:55 PM
What I use.

120lb of meat+15lb of organ meat+25lb of tripe(washed some)10 lb of beef fat, I mix of 20lb of veggies, 1cup of blackstrap molasses. Someone asked about my K9 burgers....this is my mix. I mix it a long time, through my grinder then in a bin, with a home made mixer on a very big drill...until I see it is as even as I can get. I make 1 pound patties, and use wax paper to wrap. I know some will know more about dog food, but I know my dogs are very healthy, happy and love supper time. I fast one day out of 7 when they are not being used. I give straight meat, when I am butchering along with hoofs and other parts they grab.
When I am traveling or working away...we use acana.

fretman57
02-27-2015, 09:14 PM
I have been feeding my cat and dog Presidents Choice lamb and rice and fish and rice with good results and happy campers.

fretman57
02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
I have been feeding my cat and dog Presidents Choice fish and rice and lamb and rice with good results and happy campers.

EZM
02-27-2015, 10:54 PM
We feed Acana Grasslands, it's made in Alberta with Alberta Lamb. It also contains walleye, duck and eggs.

Check the protein content, going from a low to high protein food will cause diarrhea.

We have been very impressed with Acana, worth every penny. http://www.acana.com/products/regionals/grasslands/

Wait a minute .... the dog gets to eat walleye and we dont !!!!

I have to apply for tags to get my once a year feed !!!!

:)