PDA

View Full Version : Two Rods Question

Cory1
02-28-2015, 07:23 PM
I was thinking the other day on the regulations permitting 2 rods through the ice but only one in open water.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or information from those who make the rules?

Also just for fun, what if your on the ice and have a tip up in and are casting into open water next to you? Would that be illegal, or would the open water constitute as "a large hole".

Thanks,
Cory

EZM
02-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Also just for fun, what if your on the ice and have a tip up in and are casting into open water next to you? Would that be illegal, or would the open water constitute as "a large hole".

Thanks,
Cory

Now that ..... my friend .... is a conundrum.

I wonder what a SRD guy would do ...... his head might explode.

waterninja
02-28-2015, 07:57 PM
We had a thread similar to this couple years ago. On a lot of aerated lakes (Salter for eg.) you can stand by the hole with a rod in it and still spin or fly cast from the edge of the large open water. Never did get it sorted as I recall.

JohninAB
02-28-2015, 08:16 PM

My head would not explode. To me it is against the law but that is my opinion only, not a legal interpretation.

Habfan
02-28-2015, 08:23 PM
I think the law states, if fishing in open water, only 1 line may be used ? So if your casting into open water why would you be allowed to set up another line regardless ? Great question tho !!!

EZM
02-28-2015, 08:25 PM
My head would not explode. To me it is against the law but that is my opinion only, not a legal interpretation.

Only because your head is a little thicker than most of your colleagues. :)

Mike_W
02-28-2015, 08:34 PM
I think the law states, if fishing in open water, only 1 line may be used ? So if your casting into open water why would you be allowed to set up another line regardless ? Great question tho !!!

But you are only fishing open water with one line and ice fishing with the second. I say legal IMO

Now if you cast both into open water that would be illegal.

calgarygringo
02-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Wow buddy way too much extra time in your engineering classes though it is a good question.:test:

Who Da Fisherman
02-28-2015, 09:26 PM

Only because your head is a little thicker than most of your colleagues. :)

Stop it! Can only wipe the screen clean so many times lol.
The way I see it is 2 for the ice season and 1 for open season, best of both worlds.......not sure the CO would see it that way though.
My thinking would be either you are fishin one season or the other but not both.
WDF

thumper
02-28-2015, 10:18 PM
B.C. is even more fun:

If you are alone in the boat, you can have 2 rods in the water. If there's more than one person in the boat, only one rod each is permitted.

You can't use barbed hooks in a river, but you can in a lake.

You can't use water bugs that you catch in a lake as bait in that lake. But you can take them to the river and use them there.

Cory1
03-01-2015, 12:50 AM
B.C. is even more fun:

If you are alone in the boat, you can have 2 rods in the water. If there's more than one person in the boat, only one rod each is permitted.

Is anyone familiar with why you can't use two rods on open water in most places (AB included)?

Sitting in a boat and jigging two rods seems the same as sitting on ice doing the same thing to me. Just curious more so than anything. I'm sure there's a good reason out there, but I haven't been able to figure one out yet.

Cory1
03-01-2015, 12:52 AM
We had a thread similar to this couple years ago. On a lot of aerated lakes (Salter for eg.) you can stand by the hole with a rod in it and still spin or fly cast from the edge of the large open water. Never did get it sorted as I recall.

If I can make it out to lower K again and see a CO I'll be sure to ask as there is plenty of open water from the inflow and seems to be a popular place for the CO's from what I've heard.

Question stemmed from when I was there there were people fly fishing and I was wishing I brought a full length rod, but then wasn't sure what the regulations were on the matter.

Wild&Free
03-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Is anyone familiar with why you can't use two rods on open water in most places (AB included)?

Sitting in a boat and jigging two rods seems the same as sitting on ice doing the same thing to me. Just curious more so than anything. I'm sure there's a good reason out there, but I haven't been able to figure one out yet.

Double header while dead sticking and a fish swimming around with a rod attached to his lips is why imo.

the two rod thing in BC is mostly done while trolling so once you stop the second rod has minimal chance of hooking a fish. trout like to chase and BC is predominantly trout fishing. while all other jurisdictions have fish that take dead sticks far more readily.

that's all speculation but makes sense to me.

fishpro
03-01-2015, 11:15 AM
The regulations read "It is unlawful to use more than one line when angling into open water." I believe that using a line for each would be illegal, because if you used one of each, you would then be using two lines total, and even though one is through the ice you are still angling into open water at the time.

winger7mm
03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
The regulations read "It is unlawful to use more than one line when angling into open water." I believe that using a line for each would be illegal, because if you used one of each, you would then be using two lines total, and even though one is through the ice you are still angling into open water at the time.

Yeah but your ice fishing with 2 rods.....

You can use 2 lines while icefishing ;)

Id say it depends on the officers mood.

Kim473
03-01-2015, 04:40 PM
If there is ice all around the edges of the lake, your ice fishing with a really big hole.

fishpro
03-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Yeah but your ice fishing with 2 rods.....

You can use 2 lines while icefishing ;)

Id say it depends on the officers mood.

Yeah but you're currently angling into open water AND you are using two rods. You might not be using both for the purpose of angling into open water, but you are still angling with two rods while angling into open water :)

barbless
03-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Not so serious here! How much ice off a lake would constitute open water? If you can stand on the ice half way across a lake, drill a hole and drop a line but can still cast far enough to drop a jig in just over the edge of the ice, what then? Your line is still against the ice!! How about the person that can use a chain saw and cut out a 14 x 25 hole in the ice and a single 6" hole drop a jig down the 6" hole and then cast a banjo minnow in the big one? :) Good question though. Wonder what the CO would really say? Hope they could see the humor in it!!

niwrek
03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I put ten lines in all the time .......just incase I see a co.... this way there is no question about the ticket:thinking-017:

drhook
03-02-2015, 06:48 PM

IMO jigging on the boat is still easier to cover a lot of water than while ice fishing. Even if you are able to keep the boat perfectly still its easy to move to another spot. If there's no fish you move 20 meters and away you go again.

Same goes for shore fishing.

I could cover more area slip bobbing with one rod than with 10 small rods thru the ice.

Cory1
03-02-2015, 11:55 PM
IMO jigging on the boat is still easier to cover a lot of water than while ice fishing. Even if you are able to keep the boat perfectly still its easy to move to another spot. If there's no fish you move 20 meters and away you go again.

Same goes for shore fishing.

I could cover more area slip bobbing with one rod than with 10 small rods thru the ice.

So in your opinion the regulations for open water comes from covering distance?

Not sure id agree with that, but it would sure be nice to cast a bait rig from shore, let and let it soak while casting a spoon or crank bait.

gloszz
03-03-2015, 09:20 AM
We should have saltwater laws! Unlimited rods for all!

Jk of course...

Heron
03-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I would be favor of the BC rule that if you are alone in a boat you can use 2 lines. Especially in C&R waters. More recreation. I thought it was the same in Saskatchewan and my buddies now call "The Poacher". When I was caught they observed me releasing several fish. The guy trolling the willow leaf and 3 treble hooks is OK though. Ya you can have 9 barbed hooks on a single line but my 2 barbless hooks are bad.

happy honker
03-03-2015, 10:21 AM
3 rods then.
2 in holes and 1 in open water!:bad_boys_20:

huntsfurfish
03-03-2015, 11:22 AM
One rod, would it be to help conserve fish stocks?:) You are out there to enjoy your self and not to load up on fish.;)

You can also only land one fish at a time.

Ice fishing was more to do with being in one small tiny hole on the lake and to allow a little more coverage when out fishing. Only in fairly recent times have power augers been aboot and much more common. And fairly recently they took away one of the ice fishing rods, from three to two(coincidence - I think not).

Cory1
03-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I would be favor of the BC rule that if you are alone in a boat you can use 2 lines. Especially in C&R waters. More recreation. I thought it was the same in Saskatchewan and my buddies now call "The Poacher". When I was caught they observed me releasing several fish. The guy trolling the willow leaf and 3 treble hooks is OK though. Ya you can have 9 barbed hooks on a single line but my 2 barbless hooks are bad.

What if you could have 3 hooks total, split between 2 rods?

Cory1
03-03-2015, 12:33 PM
One rod, would it be to help conserve fish stocks?:) You are out there to enjoy your self and not to load up on fish.;)

You can also only land one fish at a time.

Ice fishing was more to do with being in one small tiny hole on the lake and to allow a little more coverage when out fishing. Only in fairly recent times have power augers been aboot and much more common. And fairly recently they took away one of the ice fishing rods, from three to two(coincidence - I think not).

You can only land one fish at time ice or open water.

Another dumb question but would there be any harm casting a rod with a lure, but no hooks While fishing with a bait rig?

Regs read "unlawful to use more than one LINE in open water"

If I'm out alone in the summer (usually am) I get bored leaving a bait to soak when my spoons and cranks don't cut it.

huntsfurfish
03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
You can only land one fish at time ice or open water.

Another dumb question but would there be any harm casting a rod with a lure, but no hooks While fishing with a bait rig?

Regs read "unlawful to use more than one LINE in open water"

If I'm out alone in the summer (usually am) I get bored leaving a bait to soak when my spoons and cranks don't cut it.

:)Read a book about fishing.:) Watch for minnows jumping, all kinds of things to do.:bad_boys_20:

Casting a rod with a lure. That will likely attract unwanted attention and get you in trouble. You are still using a lure to attract fish, hook or no hook. Mind you that might solve your boredom. :thinking-006::)

If you are getting that bored might be time to go home.:)

H380
03-03-2015, 05:26 PM

Don't know about the exploding part , but bet you'd get 2 different answers from 2 different officers .

DiabeticKripple
03-03-2015, 05:34 PM
id say you are angling with one rod into open water... legal

you are using a second rod to ice fish... legal

so its legal

bucksman
03-04-2015, 10:31 AM
you will get 2 different answers from 2 different officers, i did, although i was not fishing in the open water at the time. swan lake has aerators and i see guys fishing in the open water with 2 lines because they figure they are still ice fishing because they are standing on ice, officer disagreed with them... so a month later i was fishing off shore because the ice had melted back enough and asked a different officer if a guy could use 2 rods if i was standing on the ice and he said hed be ok with it as there was still ice on the lake(ice was a little thin for my liking) but it was a gray area and another officer might disagree, im assuming it depended on what side of the bed he woke up on that day. im not about to test it out