PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake walleye

Backwoods boy
02-28-2015, 10:40 PM
Hey guys,
Heading out to pigeon tomorrow in the am to try and cut some tags. Tried park point and the island last week with no luck. Anybody got any tips as to where the Wally's are hiding?

Red Bullets
02-28-2015, 11:13 PM
you could try the marked location in front of Sundance beach. Some rocky structure in the area. If you look at the map you can see where the lake shoreline drops quicker.

The other location to the south was another good area a few years ago. some rocky structure on the downslope to the south of the shallow area called birdpoop island. this might be the island you mentioned.

The walleye will be starting to stage to the upstream side of the lake in late march early april. Pre spawn. Walleye have reds in the river upstream on the west end of the lake. The area to the west side is closed permanently for this reason. Not suggesting you pass the closed boundary but fishing closer to the west side might be more productive.

BrownTrout
02-28-2015, 11:30 PM
We caught some off of crystal shore. Best time was before 630 am and between 430-7 pm.

cube
03-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,
Heading out to pigeon tomorrow in the am to try and cut some tags. Tried park point and the island last week with no luck. Anybody got any tips as to where the Wally's are hiding?

Sorry this might already be too late.

I needed to fill my tags on Sunday so this is what I did. This should work for you but then again it may not.

Get to the lake fairly early.

Drill a line of holes starting at 5 feet and going out deeper. Fish holes no more than about a 1/2 hour unless your on fish that are your slot size. If not getting fish/correct size fish move deeper first.

Again drill line of holes, fish for no more than 1/2 hour if no fish/correct size of fish move to another part of the lake.

Keep doing this until you find the fish in the slot you're looking for.

I set up 3 rods with 3 different types of lures so I can quickly change lure/techniques and try each at each hole.

I had to move 8 times (4 different parts of the lake) to get my 49.5 cm walleye that I was looking for to fill my class B tags. I managed to fill all 3 of my tags no problem, even had time to go exploring other parts of the lake.

FYI; I do use a sonar so I can see if fish are there but not biting the lure (then you have the option to change lures/technique). I have a 4X4 so I can get around on the lake and had no problems getting to where I wanted. I do not use a tent often as it slows me down if I need to move. I do not use a camera for the same reason. Not that tents and camera's are bad it's my opinion that if you are there to fill tags and need to move they just slow you down.

Hope this might help you in your quest

Backwoods boy
03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Let me start by saying that Im no stranger to pigeon lake, on ice or open water, but sunday had to be one of the worst days I had ice fishing anywhere in the province! We tried mulhurst, sandhome, johnsonia, park point, crystal springs, the island, and Connors point. marked 2 fish all day! anybody else find that the lake has been painfully slow for the last week?

drake
03-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Let me start by saying that Im no stranger to pigeon lake, on ice or open water, but sunday had to be one of the worst days I had ice fishing anywhere in the province! We tried mulhurst, sandhome, johnsonia, park point, crystal springs, the island, and Connors point. marked 2 fish all day! anybody else find that the lake has been painfully slow for the last week?

My buddy slammed them on saturday....then again, we always slam them at pigeon.

cube
03-03-2015, 11:46 AM

I would not say I came anywhere near slamming them. I did land about 20. I was looking specifically for large B class fish to fill all 3 of my tags so when I found the right sized school I just stayed put until all 3 tags were filled. Two 49.5's and a 48. I fished in a few of the spots you mentioned and caught fish but they were to big so I moved on. Not sure that helps you much though. Were you fishing very close to drops where the dead zone on your sonar would be big enough that you would not see the walleye on the unit? I know I marked fish every where I went.

Can I ask where Connors point is?

WildCats
03-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Grandview is locally known as Connor's Point.

WC

cube
03-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Grandview is locally known as Connor's Point.

WC

Thanks WC