PDA

View Full Version : Is la nonne dead?

troutmountain
03-01-2015, 09:25 PM
dropped in to la nonne this evening punched a few holes looked around with the camera and there were a bunch of whites and minnows dead on the bottom in 10' of water. does this lake winter kill? ice was thicker than any lake i've fished this year.

Geezle
03-01-2015, 10:00 PM
It's sure sounding like it killed from all the reports I've been hearing recently.

fishunter77
03-01-2015, 10:20 PM
I have a friend with a cabin there and it seems to winter kill quite often. Too bad. They were seeing a lot of dead fish on the bottom a few weeks ago on the bottom as well.

igor
03-01-2015, 10:29 PM
My friend has a cabin on that lake for 20 years, and he said that lake never had a winter kill before. It was a very good lake for fishing, and it is very hard to see one more lake gone.

Jamie Black R/T
03-02-2015, 06:33 AM
I have a friend with a cabin there and it seems to winter kill quite often. Too bad. They were seeing a lot of dead fish on the bottom a few weeks ago on the bottom as well.
Ive fished that lake over 20 years and never seen a winter kill....this year is an anomaly

wind drift
03-02-2015, 08:06 AM
This is not an anomaly, but an effect of increasing nutrient loads in lakes and streams. We're doing things to our watersheds that are not conducive to good water quality, and that will be hard to undo. Agriculture is becoming more intensive, not less. Farmers have to keep increasing production to keep viable. Unless we figure out a way to reverse this trend, I think history will show Lake Isle and Lac la Nonne to be the early victims of our land use practices. Maybe some day, we'll be wondering how to get Lac Ste. Anne or Baptiste, or even Pigeon Lake back.

This is a problem that's been recognized and still growing for a long time:
http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/7965.pdf

I bet we're not committed to solving it any time soon.

Northern Yaker
03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Every year I hear people saying they seen some dead fish there during the winter it must have winter killed and every year I continue to catch a ton of walleye and pike there. Maybe one day the stories might actually be true.

huntsfurfish
03-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Every year I hear people saying they seen some dead fish there during the winter it must have winter killed and every year I continue to catch a ton of walleye and pike there. Maybe one day the stories might actually be true.

Winter kill does not have to be 100%, partial kill happens on more lakes than you might think.

Northern Yaker
03-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Winter kill does not have to be 100%, partial kill happens on more lakes than you might think.

More than some might think, not me...

Considering La Nonne, Pigeon and Ste Anne have some of the worst blue green algae I've ever seen and significant numbers of whites dying in the summer months due to low oxygen, I realize the same thing is happening in the winter.
This talk of winter killed makes me laugh because it's the first thing you hear when winter is nearing an end and someone can't find the fish.

troutmountain
03-02-2015, 08:27 PM
never been there before punched a half dozon holes off a weed bed and thats what I saw. Many minnows on bottom as well just thought i'd let the members know. dont know if its partial or full. great you know the lake and there you are catching.

bushnell
03-02-2015, 08:52 PM
was there last weekend. fished for about 6 hours. the only fish I saw on the camera were dead on the bottom.moved around and drilled over 50 holes

searay
03-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I've been at this lake since I was 3 years old and am now 40 , I have never in the winter seen dead minnows or fish at the bottom of the lake like I have this year. I am no expert on why this is happening but am concerned to what the fishing will be like in the spring/summer. I have fished it 3 times this winter, first time in early January and had success and the last two times more recent have noticed the dead minnows on the bottom and have not caught any fish at a few different favorite spots.

JohninAB
03-05-2015, 01:49 PM
I've been at this lake since I was 3 years old and am now 40 , I have never in the winter seen dead minnows or fish at the bottom of the lake like I have this year. I am no expert on why this is happening but am concerned to what the fishing will be like in the spring/summer. I have fished it 3 times this winter, first time in early January and had success and the last two times more recent have noticed the dead minnows on the bottom and have not caught any fish at a few different favorite spots.

Terrible to read of your experience as a long time fisherman out there. I just found this lake In January. First time out did alright, next time not as good, next two times did not even see a fish. Was hoping maybe it was just me but the more I read, the more it seems the lake is suffering this winter.

ctown
03-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Minnows and whites are dead or dying but not a pike or perch on the bottom. Just have to find them or have someone show you where they are(thanks old guy). Had a good day out yesterday. Slower but good. Could just bonk the fish with a jig and they wouldn't even move. Not even the pike cared. Probably all too fat from the free food. Drove everywhere.

Talking moose
03-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Minnows and whites are dead or dying but not a pike or perch on the bottom. Just have to find them or have someone show you where they are(thanks old guy). Had a good day out yesterday. Slower but good. Could just bonk the fish with a jig and they wouldn't even move. Not even the pike cared. Probably all too fat from the free food. Drove everywhere.

Perch and pike are next in line.... There's still 2 months of ice left....

bushnell
03-05-2015, 08:31 PM
I've fished there for the last 20 plus years and have never seen that many dead fish

cube
03-06-2015, 08:26 AM

My experience is that with a lack of O2 fish do not feed and it has nothing to do with all the "free food". The small perch food is not all dying and they won't bite either. It's really too bad as we have at least 2 months before open water so it will not probably end well for a number of species.

Does anyone know if SRD has been notified and come out to investigate?

Jamie Black R/T
03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know if SRD has been notified and come out to investigate?

Ive left some voicemails and emails but no response yet.

I did notice lac la nonne has been removed as a choice for walleye tags this coming season however.

cube
03-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Ive left some voicemails and emails but no response yet.

I did notice lac la nonne has been removed as a choice for walleye tags this coming season however.

Thanks for doing that.

Jamie Black R/T
03-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks for doing that.
I got a very lengthy detailed response today. Awaiting permission to post.

The initial response is this is no surprise to local biologists and the lake was ready to crash this past september. Excessive nutrient content and low o2 to blame.

Not good.

cube
03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Jamie Black R/T;2757211\
I did notice lac la nonne has been removed as a choice for walleye tags this coming season however.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask where you found this. I have been looking but only found last years info.

Sorry just found it.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/Walleye-Draws-Brochure-2015.pdf

cube
03-09-2015, 02:50 PM
I got a very lengthy detailed response today. Awaiting permission to post.

The initial response is this is no surprise to local biologists and the lake was ready to crash this past september. Excessive nutrient content and low o2 to blame.

Not good.

Thanks again, very much appreciate it.

embury93
03-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Its not dead, why does it seem like every year right when ice break up begins and people have trouble catching anything they immediately persume its dead. I live not far from the lake and fish it all year long. I was just on the ice last week and was catching pike and the odd walleye.

Jamie Black R/T
03-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Its not dead, why does it seem like every year right when ice break up begins and people have trouble catching anything they immediately persume its dead. I live not far from the lake and fish it all year long. I was just on the ice last week and was catching pike and the odd walleye.

its confirmed by a senior biologist within the SRD staff. Walleye draws have been removed and it is experiencing a severe die off.

No longer here-say.

Wheres safety D to ring the bell?

embury93
03-09-2015, 04:29 PM
So I guess everything I've been catching I've just been pulling out of my @$$ then, right? I already realized they removed the walleye draws that doesn't in any way confirm that the lake is dead, especially when ive personaly still been catching them and have seen others as well. Safety D claims every lake is dead just last week I seen a post of him claiming wabamun was dead, I sure hope he wasnt serious lol. People were saying Dolberg was fished off and Nakamun killed off but sure dont look like that either.

its confirmed by a senior biologist within the SRD staff. Walleye draws have been removed and it is experiencing a severe die off.

No longer here-say.

Wheres safety D to ring the bell?

Jamie Black R/T
03-09-2015, 04:50 PM
So I guess everything I've been catching I've just been pulling out of my @$$ then, right?

A severe winter kill doesnt have to mean every fish in the lake is dead.

The o2 levels in the lake have been dangerously low for months and are now showing up in the form of a die off.

Thats not here-say. SRD has performed o2 tests and dropped test nets and are scheduled to do so again in the next week or so. I plan to be out there for them.

I truely hope its not as bad as it looks. But there is at least another 5 or 6 weeks of ice cover left and can only get worse.

troutmountain
03-09-2015, 07:28 PM
maybe the last few fish hang out in o2 rich areas like springs etc. and those are the areas where guys are catching them.

Northern Yaker
03-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Good call Young Gun. I love the fear mongering. Betcha I'll have a pike and 10 walleye min. Within the first hour back on the lake in the spring. People say the same BS every year.
One of the best walleye fisheries in the Edmonton area the past few years and well past last Sept.

Northern Yaker
03-09-2015, 09:41 PM
And I get a kick out of the it's been confirmed by a biologist comment..
Really because those who manage our fisheries have done such a great job and neeeever make mistakes right.LMFAO.

linger
03-10-2015, 01:29 AM
couple of years ago they were test netting at the pond at mornville were getting sqat in there nets but i was pulling them out like crazy from shore they were even close to me. so yes sometimes test netting dosen't mean didily:sHa_sarcasticlol:

cube
03-10-2015, 08:29 AM
And I get a kick out of the it's been confirmed by a biologist comment..
Really because those who manage our fisheries have done such a great job and neeeever make mistakes right.LMFAO.

Please note: Biologists do not manage your fisheries, Politian's do.

Jamie Black R/T
03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Good call Young Gun. I love the fear mongering.

Theres people who know what they are talking about, and there are people who think they know everything.

you decide what side of the fence you want to be on my friend.

Have fun fishing la nonne this spring. Let us know how it goes for you.

Jamie Black R/T
03-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Please note: Biologists do not manage your fisheries, Politian's do.

x2

the bios have known the solution to the algae bloom issues with our lakes for decades. People who are happy to catch a few fish in a day and people who dont want to have their septic systems pumped nor move their cattle operations elsewhere are the wall that solution faces. Its going to cost money and step on toes to fix these issues. The voting public is going to have to support some changes or it will just stay business as usual.

Maybe losing a big "healthy" lake like LLN will open some eyes.

cube
03-10-2015, 12:03 PM
x2

the bios have known the solution to the algae bloom issues with our lakes for decades. People who are happy to catch a few fish in a day and people who dont want to have their septic systems pumped nor move their cattle operations elsewhere are the wall that solution faces. Its going to cost money and step on toes to fix these issues. The voting public is going to have to support some changes or it will just stay business as usual.

Yep

Talking moose
03-10-2015, 12:46 PM
x2

Well said sir! Well said.

North66
03-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Relevant video from the Edmonton Journal on land use and water quality on Lake Isle, similar geography and land-use as Lac la Nonne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD8FnEmi-l0

searay
03-11-2015, 09:44 AM
x2

Hi Jamie, I sent you a PM looking for contact information @ SRD.

Thanks

Jamie Black R/T
03-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Hi Jamie, I sent you a PM looking for contact information @ SRD.

Thanks

I was asked to hold off until a final round of testing is done coming right up.

After i receive word ill post responses and contact info in this thread with permission.

searay
03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
I was asked to hold off until a final round of testing is done coming right up.

After i receive word ill post responses and contact info in this thread with permission.

great thanks !

embury93
03-11-2015, 12:03 PM
x2

I'll just stop commenting now... If anything probably benefiting me for the doubt all of this rambling. You continue to brainwash the public with what you "believe" too be true, and that equals less bafoons turning out to fish on la nonne and results in more fish for me. So no one trust me, everyone Mr. Biologist is right(Wouldn't be the first time ESRD was wrong, probably wont be the last.)

Jamie Black R/T
03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
I'll just stop commenting now... If anything probably benefiting me for the doubt all of this rambling. You continue to brainwash the public with what you "believe" too be true, and that equals less bafoons turning out to fish on la nonne and results in more fish for me. So no one trust me, everyone Mr. Biologist is right(Wouldn't be the first time ERSD was wrong, probably wont be the last.)

Thats a great attitude. Head in the sand displayed by text ^^

After all of this...i honestly hope Im wrong...the reports are wrong and the lake is doing just fine...but i wont blindly ignore scientific fact because i can go out and catch 3 fish. If you choose that road i take no issue with it. But to accuse me of "brainwashing" is quite the stretch. Anecdotal evidence or actual low o2 counts and the bottom littered with dead fish...you choose whats real and what is "belief".

Tight lines AlbertaYoungGun_93. i hope you smoke a bunch of fish out there after ice out. Also hope you will update us and post pics so i can eat my words. I would love to admit i was wrong on this.

curtis_rak
03-12-2015, 02:36 AM
If any of you use iFish Alberta you will see that many people are seeing dead fish all over the bottom of the lake....