PDA

View Full Version : honda auger

kory1
03-01-2015, 10:46 PM
just baught a honda strikemaster lite last week went to the lake yesterday first hole plastic handle broke... good thing buddy had an eskimo... where could i get parts in canada ?

kory1
03-01-2015, 10:47 PM

Geezle
03-01-2015, 11:07 PM
How did it break...did it get knocked over or something?

Always heard good things about the Strikemaster augers...surprised they have plastic handles that could bask like that. :confused:

kory1
03-01-2015, 11:11 PM
drilled my first hole got a little stuck pulled up on it and it broke 1st hole ever with that auger was not too impressed:angry3::angry3:

averagejoe
03-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Nice thing about the Eskimos is they (now) have aluminum handles. Bit heavier but a lot stronger.

kory1
03-01-2015, 11:53 PM
yeah should of went with eskimo

Geezle
03-02-2015, 12:24 AM
Nice thing about the Eskimos is they (now) have aluminum handles. Bit heavier but a lot stronger.

Before that they were steel if I'm not mistaken.

This is honestly the first plastic handle on an auger I've ever seen.

averagejoe
03-02-2015, 12:30 AM
Before that they were steel if I'm not mistaken.

This is honestly the first plastic handle on an auger I've ever seen.

A whole cast piece or bent tubing? The newer ones have the handles and motor mount as 1 solid cast piece.

kory1
03-02-2015, 12:54 AM
anything would of been better then the honda i think!!

Geezle
03-02-2015, 01:11 AM
A whole cast piece or bent tubing? The newer ones have the handles and motor mount as 1 solid cast piece.

Steel tube on my old one and cast aluminum on the new one.

Geezle
03-02-2015, 01:11 AM
anything would of been better then the honda i think!!

Is warranty an option?

averagejoe
03-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Is warranty an option?

It seems like a solid case could be made. First hole the handle breaks. That would seem like a factory defect on a non consumable part.

If they refuse he could just take it back to the store.... Which might be a better idea since he could pick up a Eskimo V51 for $150 less according to Crappy tire prices. That is a good amount of beer. :sHa_shakeshout:

Buuuuuuut it weighs 35 lbs instead of 23 :/

trophyhunter
03-02-2015, 05:34 AM
Where did you buy it? I would be demanding a new one!! Although i am not a huge fan of the plastic handle, I have had my strikemaster for 3 seasons without any issues.

Esox
03-02-2015, 07:57 AM
its a fairly common issue with the strikemaster Honda's, especially in extremely cold weather. That being said, usually the handle breaks from getting banged around, that's why I take the power head off the flighting fo the trip to/from the lake and put it in a box. You must have been pulling pretty damn hard to snap it trying to get it out of the hole. Have had mine for 2 years and like a dummy I just put it in the box of the truck once and broke in about the same spot as yours. I just used some tin and metal screws and fixed it myself by putting a piece of tin along the inside and screwing it in place.

P.S. I own an eski z71, love that auger for pike and lakers but I wouldn't trade my strikemaster Honda for anything, its quick, quiet ad best of all theres no mixing of gas needed.

EZM
03-02-2015, 07:57 AM
When I was looking at augers, besides reading reviews and forums, I definitely was looking at construction. As mentioned, the Eskimo (which is what I bought) has the cast aluminum which is better than plastic in the cold especially.

There should be no problem and no questions asked when returning and/or exchanging the auger.

The Honda 4 stroke is an outstanding motor .... to bad it's mounted on a such a poor set of handle bars.

EZM
03-02-2015, 08:02 AM
its a fairly common issue with the strikemaster Honda's, especially in extremely cold weather. That being said, usually the handle breaks from getting banged around, that's why I take the power head off the flighting fo the trip to/from the lake and put it in a box. You must have been pulling pretty damn hard to snap it trying to get it out of the hole. Have had mine for 2 years and like a dummy I just put it in the box of the truck once and broke in about the same spot as yours. I just used some tin and metal screws and fixed it myself by putting a piece of tin along the inside and screwing it in place.

I do the same thing with my Eskimo as well. I have a rectangular larger plastic milk crate. Bought them at Drader Plastics (makes diary cases) in Edmonton for under $10.

The flight comes off ( I now have the quick disconnect to make it easier) and the power head nests into the crate nicely, right side up, with enough room to put a jerry can of gas mix to one side.

Secured with a bungee and it's upright, doesn't leak, and doesn't get bounced around the truck and damaged. The crate sits right in my sled nicely.

Esox
03-02-2015, 10:08 AM
I do the same thing with my Eskimo as well. I have a rectangular larger plastic milk crate. Bought them at Drader Plastics (makes diary cases) in Edmonton for under $10.

The flight comes off ( I now have the quick disconnect to make it easier) and the power head nests into the crate nicely, right side up, with enough room to put a jerry can of gas mix to one side.

Secured with a bungee and it's upright, doesn't leak, and doesn't get bounced around the truck and damaged. The crate sits right in my sled nicely.

Yep, if im paying good money for an auger that's vital to my fishing, Im taking good care of it. Ive always used just a 3/8's pin to hold my flighting to the power head for years now, never had an issue and it takes literally 5 seconds to put on and take off the flighting.

cube
03-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Yep, if im paying good money for an auger that's vital to my fishing, Im taking good care of it. Ive always used just a 3/8's pin to hold my flighting to the power head for years now, never had an issue and it takes literally 5 seconds to put on and take off the flighting.

Someone o this forum, I believe posted a link to a you tube vide of a poor guy that had also used the quick release pins. During the Vid you can see it come off and he looses his fligh down the hole.

Esox
03-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Someone o this forum, I believe posted a link to a you tube vide of a poor guy that had also used the quick release pins. During the Vid you can see it come off and he looses his fligh down the hole.

Ive drilled thousands of holes and have never lost one. Same thing can happen with the factory supplied screw and any other method used to attach the flighting. Take care of your equipment and inspect it every time you go to use it and it will last a long time. I only run premium in my augers to and always use fuel stabilizer. Its not like youre using 45 gallons of fuel a year in an auger so the price difference between regular and premium is negligible.

TROLLER
03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
just baught a honda strikemaster lite last week went to the lake yesterday first hole plastic handle broke... good thing buddy had an eskimo... where could i get parts in canada ?

I would take it back to whoever sold it to you. Maybe they will be good enough just to replace it.

Had mine for 3 yrs now never had any issues with the handle. I am careful about how I lay it down both on the ice and in the sled and truck.

You have to go to the Rapala Canada site for any info the Strikemaster guys will just refer you to the Rapala site. A bunch of crap for sure but that is the way they seem to want to work.

Big Red 250
03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I'd be taking it back for a refund. Then go buy an eskimo or jiffy.

Jamie Black R/T
03-02-2015, 04:21 PM
I'd be taking it back for a refund. Then go buy an eskimo or jiffy.

unless its a 20 year old white jiffy that advice wont get him far IMO

the honda four stroke auger he just broke is one of the best on the market

kory1
03-02-2015, 05:31 PM
called strikemaster today no questions asked they shipped me out a new handle.. now just to wait for it since its coming from ontario.. they thought it was probably a defect cause they havent herd of many of them breaking they changed the handles 2yrs ago i belive the guy said.. anyways great service il keep it hondas are usually tough!

Geezle
03-03-2015, 08:13 PM
called strikemaster today no questions asked they shipped me out a new handle.. now just to wait for it since its coming from ontario.. they thought it was probably a defect cause they havent herd of many of them breaking they changed the handles 2yrs ago i belive the guy said.. anyways great service il keep it hondas are usually tough!
Good to hear they're replacing the handle for you with no hassles :)