PDA

View Full Version : New Types of Ice Lines

PerchBuster
03-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Wondering if anyone has some opinions they could share on some of the new ice lines they may have tried that are on the market these days. My experience a few years ago with braid in lighter tests was that it was prone to tangles once wet and frozen so I gave up on it. I've used fluorocarbon and although great as a leader material I would rate it only like a 6 due to line memory and stiffness. there are many more types available nowadays that I haven't tried like Nanofil etc so interested in whatever you may have to say and prefer from your experience on the ice. Thanks for sharing! :thinking-006:

Stonecutter
03-04-2015, 08:56 AM
I have been using SpiderWire Stealth in 8lb in moss green. I switched to this type of line several years ago and found it very strong to put up with pike attacks when fishing leaderless for walleye. This year I've been using it through the ice for perch and it is still fairly pike resistant!

http://www.spiderwire.com/SpiderWire-Stealth%C2%AE/1360932,default,pd.html#start=1

It has very little line memory and doesn't tangle *as much* as mono.

The only disadvantage is that you need a knife or scissors to cut the extra off when you tie it. I am still used to biting through mono-filament to trim up the extra when tying a hook.

cube
03-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Wondering if anyone has some opinions they could share on some of the new ice lines they may have tried that are on the market these days. My experience a few years ago with braid in lighter tests was that it was prone to tangles once wet and frozen so I gave up on it. I've used fluorocarbon and although great as a leader material I would rate it only like a 6 due to line memory and stiffness. there are many more types available nowadays that I haven't tried like Nanofil etc so interested in whatever you may have to say and prefer from your experience on the ice. Thanks for sharing! :thinking-006:

For mono I use Berkley Micro Ice in 2, 4, 6, and 8lb test. They do not make it above 8 lb test. It is suppler with lower stretch than regular mono. I get it in the Steele which is ever so slightly grey, which stops light piping.

I have one reel with flouro but it is a pain in the cold as it retains the coils etc.

I have requested a test spool of Nanofil from Berkley. They said they are sending it out but it has not arrived yet. So I can not comment on it directly yet. The Nanofil from a couple of years a go was crap (had bad quality control and sections would just break)

For super lines I use a fused super line and not a braid. Braided lines seem to pick up and hold too much water for me while the fused is basically melted together so is a bit stiffer but holds less water. You can get these in ice fishing versions which are coated as well.
No one line is great for ice fishing all have their draw backs but I/we keep hoping for the ultra-supple, ultra-abrasion resistant, absolutely invisible, ultra-thin, cut proof, water proof line that sinks when we want and floats the other times. :)