PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Lake

trapper m
03-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Any one know if you can drive on smoke lake and how the fishing is . I'm think of going this weekend .

Red Bullets
03-04-2015, 10:34 AM
I used to fish there a couple years ago.
I used to access the ice from the SE side of the lake There is a lease road right beside the lake there. "X" marks the spot on the map. Look on google maps satellite mode and you will see the lease road.

I would just walk out from there. Fished in about 2 to 6 feet of water under the ice. Never saw much but when the whitefish came thru, they were really big and hit hard and fast. My best whitefish from there 9.25 lbs. The whitefish average size was around 6 to 7 lb.. You need at least a 10 inch hole to get the big whites out. 8 inch hole won't cut it.

Lots of people say the lake is fished out. I don't believe that. I am sure there a few big whites left as well as walleye and perch...if you can locate them. I have heard the NW corner is good for walleye.

If you try let us know how it goes.

* it might seem shallow when you go out in front of where I marked the X but it did produce whitefish.

Walleye101
03-04-2015, 12:29 PM
My father in-law and I used to go there all the time about 10 years ago. We used to see big schools of jumbo whites surfacing for bugs. They were absolutely giants swimming in huge schools. Never could get them to hit though? Used to love that lake.

jigs
03-05-2015, 07:29 AM
there is good access onto the lake at the boat launch and it looks like you can drive anywhere.

Supergrit
03-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Wait a couple years in more netting in lake the white fish numbers should go up. It use to be a great white fish lake

Gerv
03-05-2015, 08:02 AM
many of the leases on the south side of the lake haven't been plowed this winter so it may be a little tough to get to that particular spot. i believe the boat launch has been cleared though. Flood water has been pretty bad at all the lakes in the area this year so i'm not sure if driving on the ice will be the easiest but i haven't been out on smoke this year so it could be fine. Old timers have said there are a few springs in smoke that can wear down the ice from the bottom, so use caution. Wish i could tell you where they are. I just usually walk out. Good luck!

trapper m
03-05-2015, 08:05 AM
Thanks fished it years a go just wasn't sure how it was this year.