PDA

View Full Version : Barbless hooks?

Sharpie
03-04-2015, 04:11 PM
I dont see any new laws about barbless hooks in 2015 regs. Ive heard this would be coming in new regs. Does anyone have info? Is it in there and i cant find it?

Geezle
03-04-2015, 04:14 PM
I dont see any new laws about barbless hooks in 2015 regs. Ive heard this would be coming in new regs. Does anyone have info? Is it in there and i cant find it?
They are not bringing back the barbless hook law.

Sharpie
03-04-2015, 04:19 PM
That puts an end to my curiosity, Thanks

schmedlap
03-04-2015, 05:44 PM
I don't know that it needs to be "law". There are some situations where barbs are an advantage, of course. I am still going to voluntarily debarb all hooks on any kind of treble set ups, particularly all crankbaits (even if I have swithed them to singles) and when targeting Pike, just because it makes it so much easier to remove the hooks and release them unharmed and quickly (?). I hope that the proscription that we had for some years was useful in encouraging people to do the same - I look upon it as an advantage that was originally "forced" upon me, but that taught me something of value.

Fish_Styx
03-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I would agree. I like barbless hooks now that I have used them a lot. Much better to remove.

linger
03-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I think there still wipeing egg off there face:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Geezle
03-04-2015, 07:18 PM
I don't know that it needs to be "law". There are some situations where barbs are an advantage, of course. I am still going to voluntarily debarb all hooks on any kind of treble set ups, particularly all crankbaits (even if I have swithed them to singles) and when targeting Pike, just because it makes it so much easier to remove the hooks and release them unharmed and quickly (?). I hope that the proscription that we had for some years was useful in encouraging people to do the same - I look upon it as an advantage that was originally "forced" upon me, but that taught me something of value.

This is pretty much how i look at it too...anything involving a treble - especially cranks are automatically de-barbed. Most of the time I'll de-barb jigs and other lures as well as I'm mainly a catch and release guy, however it is nice to have the option to keep the barb if I'm in a situation where say I want to keep a few perch or something along those lines.

thumper
03-04-2015, 07:51 PM
"however it is nice to have the option to keep the barb if I'm in a situation where say I want to keep a few perch or something along those lines."

Exactly. Or if you're just getting some kids started on fishing, and they haven't got the knack of keeping tension on the line. It's nice to have the option.

Sharpie
03-05-2015, 07:56 AM
Im with you guys, just wondering if they were going to start enforcing it. Keep your line tight and you dont need em usually.

58thecat
03-05-2015, 08:11 AM
:sHa_shakeshout: Only if Barb doesn't mind!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

cranky
03-05-2015, 09:24 AM
"however it is nice to have the option to keep the barb if I'm in a situation where say I want to keep a few perch or something along those lines."

Exactly. Or if you're just getting some kids started on fishing, and they haven't got the knack of keeping tension on the line. It's nice to have the option.

I agree 100%. It is nice to have the option.

huntsfurfish
03-05-2015, 10:14 AM
I also like that I dont have to use anything to keep the bait on anymore.

CK Angler
03-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I also like that I dont have to use anything to keep the bait on anymore.

Another great option for helping keep baits on are these bait buttons, view link. I use them all the time now! They really do work. I do a lot of river fishing for Walleye in the Athabasca and I can't even count how many times I pull in my line to no bait on the hook.... What a difference these make, honestly worth it!

https://www.baitbuttons.com

CritterCommander
03-05-2015, 10:37 AM
I just take a rubber jig body and cut thick chunks off with a knife (or my teeth) and use as a bait button, if needed. Work like a hot jiggity!

CK Angler
03-05-2015, 10:43 AM
I just take a rubber jig body and cut thick chunks off with a knife (or my teeth) and use as a bait button, if needed. Work like a hot jiggity!

Yep, I used to do the same thing, then I discovered these bait buttons.

ELECTRIC FISHER
03-05-2015, 12:10 PM
This is pretty much how i look at it too...anything involving a treble - especially cranks are automatically de-barbed. Most of the time I'll de-barb jigs and other lures as well as I'm mainly a catch and release guy, however it is nice to have the option to keep the barb if I'm in a situation where say I want to keep a few perch or something along those lines.

I am with you guys, I don't think I have a crank bait left that has a barb.
Not to start a war but I find it actually harder to land a fish without a barb hence making me work harder and more skillfully to land the fish.
I am also strictly C&R so no barbs leads to better releases.

Gerv
03-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Might be a little off topic, but whenever i'm fishing for grayling or trout with spinners or small spoons i like to snap off one of the hooks on the treble. makes the chance of hooking the top and bottom jaw and locking the mouth shut a lot less likely. Also far easier to pull the hook out of their mouth without getting stuck in again on the way out.

Ozzzzz
03-05-2015, 04:06 PM
I've just got into the habit of pinching the barbs on all my hooks as soon as they come out of the package...

EZM
03-05-2015, 05:53 PM
I think barbless makes sense in most situations. It's also nice to have a choice.

I don't use barbs often ..... but when I do ...... the fry pan is hot.

Photohawk
03-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Another great option for helping keep baits on are these bait buttons, view link. I use them all the time now! They really do work. I do a lot of river fishing for Walleye in the Athabasca and I can't even count how many times I pull in my line to no bait on the hook.... What a difference these make, honestly worth it!

https://www.baitbuttons.com
Bait buttons will be available coast to coast in Canada. Coming to Cabelas's Canada. cheers Vanessa.