PDA

View Full Version : Brittany Spaniels- Question from Wife of Chung

Chung
03-22-2007, 08:40 PM
We are considering getting a Brittany. Our research has us thinking that this breed might be a good match for our family.

We are wanting it both as a family pet as well as for Tom (Chung) to use for pointing/retreiving while bird hunting. Do any of you have any experience with this breed? Or, alternatively, do you have any suggestions for other breeds that might suit us? We aren't really lab people, so we are looking for an alternative to labs.

Thanks so much in advance for your input!

RyanGSP
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
The Brittany is a exellent upland dog. Their small compact size makes them a good match for thick cover. They will rtrieve ducks but its not reccomended when it gets cold out. None the less we have hunted Brittany's in minus 20.

They do have ALOT of energy though and need tons of exersize. If you dont exersize them like any other sporting dog they get destructive.

They are great with kids and other pets as well.

Second to the brit I would reccomend (in order) GSP, GWP, Hungarian Viszla, then Weimaraner.

Now saying that get in contact Scott or myself and I would be happy to take you to all the Field events you want. I cant speak for scott but I will be at every Field test, Field trial, and NAVHDA event (exept for the first 2 because of a Field Trial) and you should watch many other breeds as well as Brittanys run. Dont just look at 1 level watch them all and dont forget breeders love to talk dogs so call them.

Feel free to PM or call me and I will get you intoutch with some exellent breeders and if you are not in a rush come hunt over our dogs. We have everyhing from Setters, to pointers to Brittanys.

RyanGSP
03-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Also keep in mind people are Biased with their breeds. Talk to lots of people with different dogs.

Chung
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Ryan....GSP, GWP???? Sorry...not up on the breed lingo!

Thanks!

RyanGSP
03-22-2007, 08:59 PM
GSP - German Shorthaired Pointer
GWP - German Wirehaired Pointer

Chung
03-22-2007, 09:01 PM
OH....YES!!!

That was on the radar screen as well!!

Check your PMs, please

RyanGSP
03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Replyed

209x50cal
03-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Our Brit will turn 13 this year and she has been joy to have in the family. She still has tons of heart but the old body is starting to give up on her. She is the only brit we have ever had but if she is indicative of the breed they are gems!

Re: Brittany Spaniels
03-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Ryan I probably won't be making too many trials this spring - I am heating too many irons still, but this fall .... hope to see you then. The Lakeland Club is hosting a trial and I am treasurer/director of the club so I better make that one!!!

Wife of Chung - the Brittany is an excellent choice for what you are describing. The "maintenance" issues exist with every breed of pointing dog - don't let anyone tell you any different. My own observation is that there is less variance in the temperament of Brittanys in general than there is in most of the other breeds listed. If you buy from the right parents however, it doesn't matter which breed you go with you will have a high rate of success in getting the type of dog you will like. Attend some field events and buy the breed you like to look at - a good specimen of each breed will do the job and then some in the field, but you will only be having the dog in the field for a short period of time each year compared to the whole year so it might as well be a dog you like to look at.

Owning 9 Brittanys at the current time I am will admit a bias toward them, but I have found individuals in every breed there is that I have liked and would not turn down the chance to own. Call me if you want to talk more about my dogs. 403-882-3119

209x50cal - My old girl Mickey will be turning 16 years old the beginning of June. She has slowed down considerably and is going deaf and doesn't see real well but she is still game to point a bird.

ex811
03-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Chung...there are allot of alternatives to the Brittany that actually look like and have more of the Brittany 'style' and that are just as good in the home and the field.
Ryan noted a list of dogs that are all basically the same in head, body height/weight/length, hunting style etc. None of them look like the Brittany however. If it's the look of the Brittany's that you like along with their work ethic, have a look at the Small (or Large) Munsterlander, the Setters or some of the Spaniel breeds out there, in fact, I believe there is still a local breeder of the French Blue Picardie, a breed that looks allot like a Brittany because I believe their origin is very similar (both French...but don't hold that against the bred), one is generally red and white (Brittany) while the Picardie really does look blue.
Have a great time picking out a dog.

RyanGSP
03-23-2007, 12:16 AM
EX

Colour dark orange and white, or liver and white. Some ticking is desirable, but not so much as to produce belton patterns. Roan patterns or factors of any of these colours are permitted. The orange, and liver are found in standard particolour, or piebald patterns. Washed out or faded colours are not desirable.

There is a reason I mentioned the breeds I did over the ones you mentioned. You are far more likly to find a better dog out of what I mention than what you mentioned and also note I said Aside from the Brittany.

trev357
03-23-2007, 03:11 AM
mine is about a year and a 1/2 our family wanted the same thing out of a dog but like was stated before they need lots of running or they rip and destroy anything in site.

if you get a good hunting line with a good nose be prepared for them to hunt and play hard.
i didn't relize how much hair mine grew this winter and the shedding is awful.
mine can jump out of his run thats a big problem(6ft fence).
very very smart and stubborn. be pepared to get a e collar but that is a must for every dog i think.
try to find a pup in the middle of the litter .i was wrong to pick mine he was on top of all the others but he was the color i wanted and he showed some spunk but there has been a big dominace problem in my house .but we love him still even though i want to make a rug out of him every once and a while.
needs lots of attention to keep him busy mine has a toy box full and thats not enough

RyanGSP
03-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Trev there is no need for an ecollar. How do you think they trained dogs 100 years ago. I have been training min without the ecollar scince september. Scince then I have finished his whoa training, prefected his recall, and am now throwing on the finishing polish on his steadyness.

If hair is your issue get a Pudel Pointer. They are a hypoalergenic dog that will also leave very few birds left unfound.

gopherslayer
03-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Can you pass on where you got the info on the Pudel being hypoallergenic. I have very bad allergies and I can't find that breed on the list I have from my allergist or on any breeding site. any info would be appreciated...as of now I am looking at a Portuguese Water Dog but the prices are a little out of my reach for what I have been quoted. Thanks

Okotokian
03-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I have a one year old Brittany. Wonderful temperment... loving, playful, friendly to other people and dogs, rarely barks. Has only chewed up a few things, not bad. All I could ask for. As noted above however, they ARE energetic and need exercise. We walk ours off leash (meaning I walk, he runs and jumps) 3 times a day. If you are more of a one walk per day person, don't get one.

shotgun
03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Ryan,

Weimeraner (sp) I have heard that it can be very tough to find hunting lines for this breed these days. The show dog/family pet took over. Do you know of any local hunting line breeders?

ex811
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
I can help Ryan on that one shotgun, if you are in the Calgary area their is a good Weimaraner breeder here in town. PM me and I'll give you the info.
Can't agree with you Ryan on 'your best' lists...I've been on a number of hunts in France/Germany where dogs like Cesky Fousek's, Munsterlanders the Picards and even Pudelpointers outworked GSP and Drathaars. I'd saythat it's all down to natural ability and training. Then again, there's probably not a Cesky Fousek breeder around here, and lots of good breeders of the dogs on your list.

shotgun
03-23-2007, 02:40 PM
PM sent

RyanGSP
03-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Shotgun for the best of the best call Shirley and Sly nelson from Vancouver. I have hunted over their dogs (here in Taber) and they are top notch field dogs. They own the most titled weim in CKC and AKC history. Some titles include a NAVHDA UT1, Master Hunter, Field Dog Exellent, and Field Champion ( field Trial)

Regen Weimaraners is the kennel name but they want 1500 a pup.

As for the pudel pointer Contact Bab Farris down in Idaho. Once again he has the best of the best. His kennel is Cedarwoods Kennels.

Re: Ryan
03-23-2007, 11:12 PM
ex811, how many people are asking advice on breeds of dogs because they intend to go to Europe to pick one up? There are so few Small Munsterlanders, Blue Picardy Spaniels, Cesky Fouseks, etc. etc. in North America that the opportunity to get an excellent working specimen of the breed is pretty slim. This is not to knock on anyone who happens to have an outstanding performance individual of any one of those breeds, but there are so many of the more popular bird dog breeds that the chances of selecting a dog of the right breeding to get the job done the way you want it done are much higher. I will back Ryan's statements on that issue.

I trialed out in Kelowna one time and was braced with a Weim from the Nelson's. That dog could hunt.

Northern Hunting Mom
03-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Its true that finding an excellent example of a breed can be easier to get in a ore popular breed but there is a lot of chaff to go through before you find the meat. It is equally as easy to find a dud in a large gene pool.

A wirehaired pointing griffon can fit your bill too. There are excellent breeders in the mid-west US that are a simple plane ride away for a pup. I find my griff a little more protective of home than my gsp plus early socializing is more critical in a griffon than any of the other breeds I think.

The biggest piece of advice, its in the breeding, not the breed that you will find your best fit.

A pudel pointer should give a lot less problems for people sufferinf allergies, the origin of the breed was mixing poodles (an excellent hunting dog) and english pointers. They are an excellent breed I wouldn't mind feeding. Waiting for a Bob Farris Cedarwoods pup can be a year or more but they are worth it. They are also not recognized by the regular kennel clubs but they are recognized by NAVHDA so if you want to do testing/trialing/showing etc with your dog, make sure it is registerable for the things you want to do.

live2bout
03-24-2007, 02:17 PM
The wirehaired pointing griffon would be well suited for the role of family dog / hunting companion. They are excellent with kids, very low aggression and quiet in the house. They are good watchdogs but won't bark incessantly. In my experience they are much more relaxed dogs than some of the other breeds noted - around the house. In the field my griff goes until he has nothing left - although the griffs do tend to work closer than the other versatiles noted, so maybe less suited for someone who hunts a lot in the big wide open. There are several breeders in the province.

RyanGSP
03-24-2007, 08:48 PM
NHM the Pudel Pointer is recognised but alot of organizations exept the AKC. The CKC recognises them as well as NAVHDA and I am pretty sure there is a German Reg. for them

They were created by mixing the Poodle, English pointer, and German Shorthaired Pointer.

The Griffon is a little too close ranger IMO for alberta. Once you step away from pheasants you need a dog that runs a little bigger otherwise you are doing alot of walking.

Northern Hunting Mom
03-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I didn't know CKC recognized the pudelpointer. I knew it was recognized by the FCI but any of those events on this side of the water are few and far between.

I am wondering how Placer's range will affect how much extra walking I will be doing. I'll just have to see which mutt will find more birds that I can shoot. Perhaps I'll be doing a lot less because of her slower pace compared to Digger's.

RyanGSP
03-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I like to use both of mine when im on pheasants but once we hit the prairie I favour Diego because of his big run. The more I run my seteer though the bigger she gets.

Wife of Chung I am not sure if this is what you wanted but I know of a Kick @$$ English Pointer going up for sale this summer probally. The dog is currently retrieving to hand everytime, does water retrieves all natural, he is a natural backer and is 2 years old. Cowboy has been hunted on Grouse, chukar, pheasants, and I beleive ducks and geese. He was raised with kids but was raised outside so will need to be house broke. He is Hoky Tonk on the top and Elhew on the bottom. Let me know if this interests you and I will get you more info.