PDA

View Full Version : Picking the right fish finder

tonypower
03-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Hey guys. I am in the process of buying a new boat. It is going to be a fish and ski boat, (2008 bayliner 185 with the 3.0l merc) but I will be incorporating the fish part. It doesn't have a fish finder right now and the finder I have right now is a portable one. Most of the fishing I do is for walleye and pike. What is a good fish finder for under $1000.00 that is not too complicated to operate. Is down imaging really worth the extra money. I have heard its hard to tell where the fish are with the down imaging. is this true? Thanks for all your help.

drhook
03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
IMO. If you want to find the big walleye you need to know where they are. The big boys and girls are big for a reason, they're smart and hide around structure. Almost any fish finder can show you fish swimming in the water column. Down and side imaging shows you the structure which might hold the big ones. They might not be there at the time but if it's a location that could hold fish you know it will from time to time. Knowing where the good ledges are, rock piles, weed beds, or almost anything about the bottom of the lake is valuable.

The GPS options are nice, if you know how to use it and mark your spots. But it has helped us finding the way back to the launch when a summer storm hits.

Cheers,

huntsfurfish
03-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Both humminbird and lowrance make some great units. If you go with upper end units, they are capable of sharing info and transducers with other units if you care to expand. Also can be "connected" to your trolling motor.

Humminbird - ipilot and ipilot link with terrova, ulterra and power drive motors along with 800, 900 and 1100 series units. Sale comin up at bass pro for 899 for your price point.

Lowrance - pinpint Xi5 with gps(motorguide) bow trolling motor with Lowrance Gen 2 HDS 5,7,8 or 10 and Gen 2 Touch 7,9 and 12 as well as Gen 3 touch units. Great prices on HDS gen 2 if you look around a bit.

Go min of 80 lb thrust for electric trolling motor.

edit: Humminbird/lowrance units mentioned all have gps as well. And both offer mapping options too.

JohninAB
03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Both humminbird and lowrance make some great units. If you go with upper end units, they are capable of sharing info and transducers with other units if you care to expand. Also can be "connected" to your trolling motor.

Humminbird - ipilot and ipilot link with terrova, ulterra and power drive motors along with 800, 900 and 1100 series units. Sale comin up at bass pro for 899 for your price point.

Lowrance - pinpint Xi5 with gps(motorguide) bow trolling motor with Lowrance Gen 2 HDS 5,7,8 or 10 and Gen 2 Touch 7,9 and 12 as well as Gen 3 touch units. Great prices on HDS gen 2 if you look around a bit.

Go min of 80 lb thrust for electric trolling motor.

edit: Humminbird/lowrance units mentioned all have gps as well. And both offer mapping options too.

What he said!

huntsfurfish
03-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Bass Pro has the Humminbird 899 right now with a navionics+ Map card included for $1049.99 pretty good deal.

This model Has down imaging, side imaging and 2d sonar. Also has GPS too.

huntsfurfish
03-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Also if EZM can run a humminbird, anybody can. :)lol;)

JohninAB
03-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Also if EZM can run a humminbird, anybody can. :)lol;)

Ain't that the truth! :sHa_shakeshout:

EZM
03-06-2015, 07:06 PM
True enough ....... I might not be very smart but I'm better looking then you two old guys!!!!

The book came with pictures ..... so I figured it out after doing it wrong a dozen times.

I think you have it covered ..... I personally think the humminbirds are a little more intuitive and easier to navigate through ..... but both the Lowrance and Humminbirds are great units.

Both are network capable, both have a trolling motor link, both perform similarly when comparing units of similar price.

The only thing I would absolutely add to this conversation, and all of the units at this price point will have it anyways, so it's almost a mute point, is GPS IS CRITICAL in my mind.

If I had to choose between GPS or side imaging ...... GPS wins every time. I think it's the one feature guys are surprised at how helpful it really is. Get right back onto that magic drop off, gravel pile, mid lake structure or secret spot that fish hang out in.

After my first GPS unit (seems like 20 years ago .... lol) my ability to fish in the boat improved dramatically.

EZM
03-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Ain't that the truth! :sHa_shakeshout:

The funniest thing is .......and Huntsfurfish may not know this story .... is the first day I hooked up my birds, network and i-pilot link onto my new rig is when I was out at the lake and Johnin' and Geezle were in John's boat laughing at me and TrophyPikeHunter spinning in circles .....lol. (had some operator error going on there).

Absolutely, without a doubt, looked like an idiot. lol.

TrophyPikeHunter had his head buried in the humminbird and minnkota book while I was in there mashing button on all my units trying to look all cool and casual.

John and Geezle trolled by, busting a gut laughing, and asked us if my shiny new boat needed any assistance .... lmfao.

If I was able to figure it out how to steer I would have boarded John' Crestliner like a pirate !!!!

:)

That video would have been SOLID GOLD beaks for these guys.

bat119
07-14-2015, 09:16 AM
My buddy is looking for a fish finder for a 18' fishing boat, casual fisherman that doesn't want to take a course to learn how to operate it. What would be an good entry level fish finder for $500?

aulrich
07-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Lowrance has a couple of good units under the 500 price point. and what is nice about those units is the ability to make your own depth charts.

Really useful since Canadian map data is so pitiful.

EZM
07-14-2015, 09:53 AM
I would suggest you get a unit with GPS - you can mark the good spots (and structure or obstacles) and know how to get back to the same spot.

GPS is a must have in my opinion.

bat119
07-14-2015, 10:08 AM
I would suggest you get a unit with GPS - you can mark the good spots (and structure or obstacles) and know how to get back to the same spot.

He has a Garmin Montana mounted in his boat already, how about this one on sale a Cabelas this week ?

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65017/humminbird-678c-hd-sonar?CatId=2394

NEWB
07-14-2015, 10:25 AM

Exactly. GPS comes in handy when you are going back to the honey hole or if you are coming back to the launch and the sun is setting fast and the markings on the shoreline are not as easy to see...

OP,

The maps package is a must. I have a humming bird and picked up the Navionics Canadian Maps. It comes in handy when looking for new spots and also picking out water hazzards. It saved my prop a few times by identifying very shallow spots in the middle of a lake. For fun I slowed down on a few just to see and the water was only about 2-3 feet deep on a quick hump with rocks. Had I not known about the hazzard on the map I would have very likely gone right over it and wrecked my prop..

If I were to do it again I would go for the down imaging option. I like to be able to see what is down there.. who knows.. you migh find a submerged vehicle like what was found recently by someone (in the states I think). Down imaging is not a must, however with the maps package and using the sonar to see the shelfs, drop offs you can enhance your fishing experience!

I do give gredit to EZM as he gave me solid advice about a depth finder a few years ago.

Walleyedude
07-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Good info so far. I don't know the Humminbird units all that well, but I can give you some info on the Lowrance units.

There are three key factors you should consider before you pick a model lineup -

Do you want to be able to connect your trolling motor to your sonar?

Do you intend to expand your "network" at some time by adding additional sonar units or dedicated DI/SI modules, WIFI, etc...

Do you want to have the ability to really customize your settings and upgrade to the latest and greatest in sonar technology as it's released?

If you answered yes to one or more of those questions, then going with the HDS units would be your best bet. The Gen 2 Touch units are a great deal, the Gen 3 units are the cutting edge in quality. The HDS7 Gen 2 Touch with the HDI skimmer transducer would give you everything you're looking for, at around the $1200-1300 mark.

If not, then the Elite units are your best bet, and that's what I suggest given your application. The Elite units give you CHIRP 2D sonar technology, Down Scan imaging, built in GPS, and access to the Insight Genesis Social map database as well as the ability to create your own maps. The Elite units have a $100 rebate on right now for the 5 and 7, and a $300 rebate on the Elite 9.

Regardless of what you decide, I would focus on screen size, GPS, down imaging then side imaging in that order of importance.

Always buy the biggest screen you can afford, or maybe one size bigger lol. With mapping, 2D, DI/SI, trolling motor controls, etc..., you can fill up a screen pretty quick.

GPS is so important, not only for the mapping and marking your waypoints, but to always have a precise speed reading. Speed is critical.

Down imaging is a great tool to help separate fish from bottom or other objects (weeds, rocks, etc...) and I'd have a hard time being without it. Side imaging can be effective, but has a much smaller range of uses, and would be something I'd be willing to go without if it wasn't in the budget.

bat119
07-14-2015, 10:47 AM
He fish's exclusively on Turtle lake sask. is there map software available? The Garmin Montana has topo maps seems to work good for marking spots it also shows speed , he's looking for something showing a better view of bottom structure and fish

TBark
07-14-2015, 10:58 AM
How about in the $100 price range like me, ha.
My 12+ year old Eagle supra Pro ID unit does all I need.
But it has a few vertice dead spots on the screen.
So time for another one.
Lots of head units only for sale, no transducer nor power cords.
Wonder if these units are hot ? Base unit is all I need and eagle Lowrance cords fit most older units.

TBark

bat119
07-14-2015, 11:04 AM
I mounted a Humminbird matrix in my own boat 7-8 years ago I'm happy with what it shows, kind of crude compared to the new technology this days though.

aulrich
07-14-2015, 11:25 AM
How about in the $100 price range like me, ha.
My 12+ year old Eagle supra Pro ID unit does all I need.
But it has a few vertice dead spots on the screen.
So time for another one.
Lots of head units only for sale, no transducer nor power cords.
Wonder if these units are hot ? Base unit is all I need and eagle Lowrance cords fit most older units.

TBark

I needed/wanted a second portable I picked up a lowrance mark 4 for 199 two weeks ago from my local CT(Calgary) and that did have GPS but no custom map. I just buy regular units and DIY the portable side.

Dean2
07-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Hard to beat Lowrance. I have owned Eagle, Hummingbird, Bottom Edge, and still own Vexillar, Garmin and a couple of Lowrances. I am still using a 20 year old Lawrence LMS 350 SONAR/GPS. It still performs very well except it doesn't have color on the screen like the newer unit has.

I agree with those that say GPS IS INDISPENSABLE. Get caught once way depending in a rock infested inlet when the fog rolls in for 2 days and you will know exactly why you never want to be without it.

CBintheNorth
07-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Good info so far. I don't know the Humminbird units all that well, but I can give you some info on the Lowrance units.

There are three key factors you should consider before you pick a model lineup -

Do you intend to expand your "network" at some time by adding additional sonar units or dedicated DI/SI modules, WIFI, etc...

Do you want to have the ability to really customize your settings and upgrade to the latest and greatest in sonar technology as it's released?

If you answered yes to one or more of those questions, then going with the HDS units would be your best bet. The Gen 2 Touch units are a great deal, the Gen 3 units are the cutting edge in quality. The HDS7 Gen 2 Touch with the HDI skimmer transducer would give you everything you're looking for, at around the $1200-1300 mark.

If not, then the Elite units are your best bet, and that's what I suggest given your application. The Elite units give you CHIRP 2D sonar technology, Down Scan imaging, built in GPS, and access to the Insight Genesis Social map database as well as the ability to create your own maps. The Elite units have a $100 rebate on right now for the 5 and 7, and a $300 rebate on the Elite 9.

Regardless of what you decide, I would focus on screen size, GPS, down imaging then side imaging in that order of importance.

Always buy the biggest screen you can afford, or maybe one size bigger lol. With mapping, 2D, DI/SI, trolling motor controls, etc..., you can fill up a screen pretty quick.

GPS is so important, not only for the mapping and marking your waypoints, but to always have a precise speed reading. Speed is critical.

Down imaging is a great tool to help separate fish from bottom or other objects (weeds, rocks, etc...) and I'd have a hard time being without it. Side imaging can be effective, but has a much smaller range of uses, and would be something I'd be willing to go without if it wasn't in the budget.

Listen to this man.

Dean2
07-15-2015, 08:04 AM

Have to agree with CBintheNorth, this is about as clear and useful an answer to your question as you could ask for. Had I read it I wouldn't have even bothered posting mine.

sanjuanworm
07-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Well I just shipped off my hummingbird 899 for repairs after being 1 month off warranty.

No more HB for me. Never worked right from the get go.

j27lee
07-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Well I just shipped off my hummingbird 899 for repairs after being 1 month off warranty.

No more HB for me. Never worked right from the get go.

Hmm... I was looking at an 899, and debating waiting to see the helix 7 to compare them side by side. What were the issues you had with the 899?

sanjuanworm
07-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Hmm... I was looking at an 899, and debating waiting to see the helix 7 to compare them side by side. What were the issues you had with the 899?

GPS was crap from the get go. Bought an external antenna and it fixed it up until warranty run out.

j27lee
07-16-2015, 11:38 PM
GPS was crap from the get go. Bought an external antenna and it fixed it up until warranty run out.

Thanks! I'll do a bit more digging into it before I make a purchase.

sanjuanworm
07-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks! I'll do a bit more digging into it before I make a purchase.

I'm so infuriated with their customer service. It's like a bunch of children running it. I flat out refuse to buy another HB product now. Will now buy Lowrance or other.

fluxcore
07-17-2015, 08:58 AM
I run lowrance up front and hummingbird for my main and both are great units, the bird has an easier learning curve In my opinion but the lowrance can be fine tuned a little better. I use my DI (down imaging) more then my SI (side imiging) and pause, zoom in on the fish (when I find them around structure) and with the mouse/arrow click a mark (gps) and fish on top of them........love it ! If I'm not marking fish I move on.

fluxcore
07-17-2015, 09:09 AM
School of fish being chased on DI

fluxcore
07-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Structure id zoom in on and mark

Winch101
07-17-2015, 09:48 AM
You don't need a fish finder to fish in a ditch .....and if you get one
Lowrance because of the skimmer transducer and tin boats ...

In 99 % per cent of the fishing publics hands this is a useless piece
Of equipment ....

No doubt from a safety perspective a good idea but most of the
Transducer are mounted wrong . In nanton you can buy a 25 K
Boat for 35 k and be told your locator only works when your trolling .

Best Finder guy in Calgary ....Kelly at the hole .

Dean2
07-17-2015, 09:58 AM
You don't need a fish finder to fish in a ditch .....and if you get one
Lowrance because of the skimmer transducer and tin boats ...

In 99 % per cent of the fishing publics hands this is a useless piece
Of equipment ....

No doubt from a safety perspective a good idea but most of the
Transducer are mounted wrong . In nanton you can buy a 25 K
Boat for 35 k and be told your locator only works when your trolling .

Best Finder guy in Calgary ....Kelly at the hole .

Man I feel for you. There are so many boat places that despite selling tons of boats a pure ****e at rigging them out properly. With today's boats and all the electronics and accessories they carny, you need to really know how to wire and organise a boat or you will have no end of problems. Same is true of transducer mounting, if they aren't done absolutely right the unit won't work properly. Hope you found someone to set your boat up right.

tigerharry
07-24-2015, 03:22 PM
IMO. If you want to find the big walleye you need to know where they are. The big boys and girls are big for a reason, they're smart and hide around structure. Almost any fish finder can show you fish swimming in the water column. Down and side imaging shows you the structure which might hold the big ones. They might not be there at the time but if it's a location that could hold fish you know it will from time to time. Knowing where the good ledges are, rock piles, weed beds, or almost anything about the bottom of the lake is valuable.

The GPS options are nice, if you know how to use it and mark your spots. But it has helped us finding the way back to the launch when a summer storm hits.

Cheers,

Agreed. Fish finders do help, but fishermen's experience still counts. Here's a good article on how to use fish finders and tips for choosing fish finders (http://www.thecampfiretime.com/how-to-use-fish-finders-and-tips-for-choosing-fish-finders/).

In addition to the structures drhook mentions, there are other factors (such as temperature, barometric pressure, and oxygen level) that every fisherman needs to remember to catch more fish successfully and consistently (http://www.thecampfiretime.com/6-factors-every-fishermen-need-to-know-to-catch-any-fish-successfully-and-consistently/).

My favorite lake for Walleye in Alberta is Lesser Slave Lake and Moose Lake for Pike fishing.