PDA

View Full Version : Maui Goat Hunt

tromaniuk
03-06-2015, 05:50 PM
I just got back from Maui and my Feral Goat Hunt. It was incredible!!
It goes down in the books as my most challenging and exciting single day of hunting. We went from sea level to 5000 ft and back down. Weather ranged from 85 F and 90 percent humidity to a torrential down pour and flash flooding. I would like to thank Patrick from Hawaiian Safari's for the incredible experience.

In the picture with the water fall in the back ground, there was not a drop of water there in the morning.

grouse_hunter
03-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Great looking goat! How does it taste?

tromaniuk
03-06-2015, 05:57 PM
I didn't get to try it. The guide says it isn't the greatest to just fry up but is okay when smoked. We boned in out and he has going to get it smoked after the trip

NBFK
03-06-2015, 06:22 PM
What was the cost of the hunt?

Double Shovel
03-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Congrats, nice goat. I am going to the Big Island next month and have a hunt booked for goat,sheep and maybe a vancouver bull all with a bow. I have been on some amazing hunts and places but for some reason I am pretty pumped about this one. My goat hunt is $750US,Sheep is $850 US and bull is $1550US,pretty reasonable,still not sure on the bull though,just don't feel like skinning one
Congrats again.
Did you bring your horns home with you ? I am caping mine and putting it in my luggage...if I get one,lol

gramps73
03-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Great looking animal, I think the family needs a Maui vacation

AB2506
03-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Congrats!

rednuck
03-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Congrats! I got to hunt ringneck and kalij pheasants when I was there, I wish I could of taken part in a goat or boar hunt.

tromaniuk
03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Congrats, nice goat. I am going to the Big Island next month and have a hunt booked for goat,sheep and maybe a vancouver bull all with a bow. I have been on some amazing hunts and places but for some reason I am pretty pumped about this one. My goat hunt is $750US,Sheep is $850 US and bull is $1550US,pretty reasonable,still not sure on the bull though,just don't feel like skinning one
Congrats again.
Did you bring your horns home with you ? I am caping mine and putting it in my luggage...if I get one,lol

Double Shovel

I had issues with Customs that caused me to miss my connecting flight. I did all my homework but once again Vancouver Customs proved to be the jerks I have dealt with before.

So some advice...... I had a taxidermist there boil the skull enough to pop the horns off ( easier to package). He then put bleach in the horns. The skull had as much meat removed as possible. This included the brain and eyes. It was then salted to dry it out. Everything then has to be frozen and put in a leak proof container.

This was supposed to be adequate and I even talked to a Customs Agent and clarified this before I left. BUT, IT WAS NOT!!!!

After the whole run around and talking with an actual decent Customs Agent this is what I would do different next time:

Ensure your bring back your hunting license from the island with you.
Have the taxidermist write up exactly what he did to prep the animal and include his business card. Make sure any meat that is on that skull is completely dried out before you leave.

Double Shovel
03-07-2015, 04:17 PM
I plan on doing all that myself while I am over there as far as drying it out. I also have an import/export license and when I travel with animals I always carry a copy of the CFIA requirements because some customs agents feel powerful and knowledgeable and try and lay "their " law down but once you pull out that piece of paper, they usually back down. I may bring them back with me or ship them to my tannery in Montana from there. Thanks for the heads up, I have heard the Vancouver people can be sticky

AB2506
03-07-2015, 04:48 PM
My African heads are coming through Vancouver because they are currently better than Calgary. I'm using Rigel out of Moose Jaw to expedite.

scruffy
03-08-2015, 08:43 PM
I would love to hunt one of those Vancouver bulls in Hawaii ... got me thinking ... And speaking of irritating customs ... on my very first safari way back in 1977 Customs seized my leopard skin and skull !!! They said that leopards are endangered so they were going to destroy it !!!:mad0030: Perhaps one of the dumbest things that I have ever heard in my entire life ... For those who like happy endings .. I have two full mounts of leopards in my home - one of which was shot in 1977.

tromaniuk
03-09-2015, 08:24 PM
I just wish Canada Customs would post exactly what is needed to transport a firearm or your trophies. On my last two trips I did my homework as best as I could so that I would be compliant. Both times it seemed the Customs Agents just went out of their way to make it as difficult as possible.

sunkenfr
03-10-2015, 04:23 AM
On my way back from the big island last year I put my horns in my luggage had my cape in a sealed bag and cooler. I was put into secondary customs and showed them my licence and paperwork. Didn't even asked to see them. I was on my way within two minutes. i also went with one of Patrick's guides. Very professional outfit. Can't wait to get my mount back from sugar creek.

sunkenfr
03-10-2015, 04:28 AM
After I shot on top of the lava cliff from 20 yards away he jumped off. Landing about 100 ft down. Pretty tough getting to him and out again but well worth it.
Would love to return and do a sheep and axis deer hunt.

AB2506
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
I just wish Canada Customs would post exactly what is needed to transport a firearm or your trophies. On my last two trips I did my homework as best as I could so that I would be compliant. Both times it seemed the Customs Agents just went out of their way to make it as difficult as possible.

Unfortunately, interpretation of the rules can vary from agent to agent and port to port. That is why I hired Rigel Logistics to import my African trophies.

Currently Kim says it is much easier to import through Vancouver than Calgary.

http://www.orion-taxidermy.com/rigel-logistics/

Tundra Monkey
03-11-2015, 12:56 AM
I came through Calgary maybe 5 years ago with a set of mule deer antlers still attached to the skull cap. Of course I got pulled out of line. The lady I was dealing with wanted to see the antlers and we opened up the duffel bag. She explained to me that I was not allowed to bring them back...even with my Texas Hunting Licence (export permit is on it) and a letter from a very nice Texas Fish Cop explaining that this was a legally taken deer. We had discussed this scenario over beers with him and he offered to write a letter explaining the rules to whoever I was going to run in to. He gave me this letter when we showed up to pick up the deer at the cooler station. Pretty much thought I was golden on my way North :sign0161:

After a not so promising discussion with the customs "lady" went south after she asked why I didn't bring back any meat I figured I was gonna be in for a battle. To make a long story short, she headed back to get her supervisor. He came out and looked at the antlers and the paperwork and shook his head. Congratulated me on my deer and stated that I was good to go. He added that the letter from the fish cop was a good idea and wanted to know how I got the skull plate so clean. He laughed when I told him I used a dremel tool.....worked like a charm btw :happy0034:

They never even looked at the cape that was frozen and wrapped in a garbage bag :confused0024:

Tundra Monkey
03-11-2015, 01:28 AM
Forgot to add the congrats on a great hunt and a thank you for posting it up :happy0180: