PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Smokers

Duk Dog
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Anyone have or ever use one? Comments/thoughts?

www.bradleysmoker.com/ (http://www.bradleysmoker.com/)

FiveO
03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Graet smoker. My buddy has one and it has even heat and self loading chips. He makes perssed jerky and fish with it and it turns out awesome.

I have the drum style on propane it works well but hard to control the heat however its great for doing chickens and roast with combo of berqets, smoke and steam.

The only problem with both smokers is capacity. Its hard to get many fish done up at a time. I am currently looking for a new smoker or used with larger capacity, may have to be home made.

Elnino54
03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I've got one and absolutely love it !! It does fantastic ribs, great jerky, I've smoked salmon and pork roasts with it. My wife has given me jalapeno peppers to smoke so she can make her own Chipotle sauce....... and everything has turned out good, even smoked crab meat mmmhhh. Nicest thing about it, is how easy it is to use. Just watch the temp from time to time and try and refrain from opening it. You can mix and match various types of wood pucks but i think my favorite has to be the Pecan ones.........I doubt you'll be disappointed with it overall. I'm not sure how much better the digital one is over the standard one ............LOL

JDR1959
03-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Canadian Tire have the Bradley smokers on sale now...

Warrior
03-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Just finished a load of Mulie Jerky in mine today...

Duk Dog
03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking I may have just figured out what to do with all my Canadian Tire money. Or maybe a tree stand, or maybe a new scope, or......

BigBullAdventures
03-24-2007, 09:14 AM
I've had one for years and am very happy with it. I had problems with the element the first time I used it, but when I called Bradley, they courriered a new one to me and explained how to replace it, no questions asked. It works fairly well outside in sub zero temperatures. I would be inclined to go with the new digital control model, so that you can dial in the temperature that you want. With my manual model, you must keep a very close eye on the temperature, because with jerky, for example, the temperature will start to rise very quickly as the meat dries out. The wood bisquettes are going to cost you about $1.00/hour for smoking, definitely more than a traditional smoker, but well worth it for our priceless game meat.

BigBull

Duk Dog
03-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Done deal. Went and picked one up on sale at Canadian Tire ($70 off) and managed to use CT money to pay for it. Can't wait to break it in!

Anyone ever smoke sausage in it? I have some mild italian and brawtwurst that isn't cooked. We have always BBQ'd it but I wonder if it would be any good smoked? Any idea what temp it should be done at, and for how long?

Jamie Hunt
03-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Duk. Go to Chapters and get that BBQ book by the guy from Calgary. Real BBQ is the best. Its also a fun way to have people over. Pulled Pork Sandwiches are the BEST. It takes awile, but I used to enjoy doing it.

Jamie

Duk Dog
03-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm just doing the initial smoke out of the unit and even without food it smells awesome!! Love that smokey smell.

Duk Dog
03-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Question for those of you that own one of these:

To do the initial smoke in I loaded it with 6 bricks. After 4 had burned they didn't advance any more. The 4th one was still stuck on the burner and there were 2 left on the conveyor still. I pushed the button to advance them, but they didn't move along. Does the auto advance forwarding mechanism only work as long as the stack, conveyor, and burner are full of bricks?

smoker
03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
i found with mine you needed to keep the chute loaded with pucks it almost acks as if pushes the next one on the burner.

Tucumseh
03-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Smoking Tips

Keep a logbook and record what you do each time.

Make sure that your sausages do not touch when they are in the smoker.

Experiment while you are smoking. Cut off a piece of sausage, cook and taste it to see if it has been smoked enough.

Do not oversmoke your sausage. Undersmoked sausage is edible, oversmoked is not.

Do not raise the temperature too fast during smoking. This will cause the sausage to sweat and cause uneven smoking and mottling.

When hot smoking start your temperature at about 120 F, and move up from there in steps.

Always hang-dry your sausage before smoking. Make sure that it is in a cool place when you do this, you do not want bacteria to start developing.

The reason they suggest you dry your sausage is to prevent botulism, food poisoning.

Botulism is more commonly found in canned food but can also be found in sausage. The conditions that are necessary to produce botulism in sausage include lack of oxygen, low acidity, the presence of moisture, and temperatures between 40 degrees and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. All of these conditions can be present when smoking sausage: lack of oxygen from the smoking, low acidity and moisture in the meat and smoking temperatures in the above range.

Warrior
03-24-2007, 07:32 PM
To get the last two pucks to move along is what I did was just made 2 out of tin foil. I shaped them the same as puck and the way you go... Works like a charm...

Duk Dog
03-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks Warrior & Booner88. Glad to hear it isn't just a quirk with mine.