PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lakes Reservoir Trout Species

Stryker2
03-07-2015, 06:35 AM
A question to those of you who fish the Spray Res. What kind of trout other than Lakers is there? And has anyone had any luck catching other species? I'm going there for a week at the end of June and just curious what I should learn in order to maximize my chances. Thanks for any input. :)

J D
03-07-2015, 10:03 AM
There are cutties and rainbow only seen 1 rainbow caught and a hand full of cutties. Way more Lakers in their but never focused directly on the other trout species.

Buddy who fished there a lot well living in Canmore for 10 years said he has only caught about a dozen trout that were not lakers. This guy has caught tons of fish out of Spray with lots of time on the lake

Stryker2
03-07-2015, 12:13 PM
oh ok...so focus mainly on the lakers which from what I've read so far can be still fished with a jig and a smelt or trolling with a down rigger which I don't have. I've never caught a laker before so that would be pretty cool to catch one. And I'm going there for camping and the just being in a beautiful place thing.

J D
03-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Caught lots on spinners and spoons as well. Also fishing smelt with a slip rig on the bottom

spinN'flyfish
03-07-2015, 06:20 PM
even from shore with a smelt and a heavy jig

Stryker2
03-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Caught lots on spinners and spoons as well. Also fishing smelt with a slip rig on the bottom

Did you have to use something like a bottom bouncer with your spinners and spoons to get them to go down deep? And what do you mean by a slip rig ..sorry I'm a newbie on all these terms.:)

iliketrout
03-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Just beware if you fishing from shore that you will probably lose some gear if you let your rig hit bottom. The shorelines are rocky and have lots of old tree stumps. A slip bobber rig as suggested will definitely help you out with that if set right.

I would also highly recommend a stinger hook.

Try accessing the lake at the Sparrowhawk picnic area if you're fishing from shore. Otherwise there is a launch at driftwood.

Good luck!

spinN'flyfish
03-07-2015, 10:43 PM
never tried fly fishing there, how long should the leader or tippet above the fly when nymphing/ dry fly for whites and cutties

Stryker2
03-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys for all the great tips! One last question which I can't seem to find the answer to online: Are gas motors allowed on the Reservoir?.. I have an inflatable 12' with a 9.9 HP. I also have an electric motor I use in small lakes. :)

TROLLER
03-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Yes you can run a motor.

If you want to get down then use a 3 way swivel. On the bottom end tie on your sinker with about 12 inches of leader In the middle tie on your lure or spoon with 2 1/2 to 4 ft. of leader. Then just figure out how much one pull of line equates to feet and drop down to the depth you are after.\\

Very effective especially because you have no ability to mount a downrigger.

Stryker2
03-12-2015, 09:13 PM
I thought of one more question that might help out a lot. Any particular spots any of you would recommend along the 18 or so km lake? I have a 12 ft inflatable with a 9.9 hp so I'm kind of limited as to how far I can go.