PDA

View Full Version : I love this bait! check out these giant walleyes

clarki
03-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Couple of 10Lb eyes from Bay of Quinte and Lake Winnipeg, this thing roocks! anybody else using these Smartfish in Alberta other than me?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/anyluck/IMG_6137.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/anyluck/media/IMG_6137.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/anyluck/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3152.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/anyluck/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3152.jpg.html)

Rennich98
03-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Holy that's pro one of the darkest walleye I've ever seen! Awesome fish...I've heard those lures are pretty effective on lake Winnipeg

chriscosta
03-07-2015, 10:24 PM
i want some lol ...nice walters

Hydro1
03-07-2015, 10:26 PM
As rennich said, very dark eye you caught...
Nice fish, congrats. :)

Fishslayer99
03-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Those are some pigs, I have been using the Smartfish lures for a few months, I found the rattle to be very effective in attracting pike,perch,walleye,and even whitefish. The problem I've had is getting them to comit after they come in to check it out. Pike are the only thing I have caught on it, and only a small amout of the ones that check it out. Obviously the perch and whites likely won't bite the lure so it gives me a chance to throw something else down. I think this is a very good lure with a great design, but i can see this hook being much more effective in open water.

Og Dumi
03-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Great fish that wally is the darkest one I've seen also, Ive seen similar colouring in saugers but never in eyes, congrats! :happy0034:

Stryker2
03-08-2015, 09:10 AM
WOW! Those are big eyes! Beauties that's for sure! Congrats! I was on Wabamun one day a few weeks back and came across the guy that designed those Smartfish lures. He told me all about his videos on them and gave me one of the lures new in the box! I tried it and caught a jack with it. I'd like trying trolling with it, he said they're effective that way because of the weighted belly. I guess we'll see...:thinking-006:

TJG
03-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Those are some pigs, I have been using the Smartfish lures for a few months, I found the rattle to be very effective in attracting pike,perch,walleye,and even whitefish. The problem I've had is getting them to comit after they come in to check it out. Pike are the only thing I have caught on it, and only a small amout of the ones that check it out. Obviously the perch and whites likely won't bite the lure so it gives me a chance to throw something else down. I think this is a very good lure with a great design, but i can see this hook being much more effective in open water.

Your on the path with the extra rod rigged with another lure. As soon as you have fish below you drop a jigging spoon(buckshot in glow) or a jig and you will seal the deasl. Remember they came in with the aggresive action, they will bite with spoon action too. Good luck and give us an update.
TJ

CK Angler
03-08-2015, 03:12 PM
you catch those ??

clarki
03-08-2015, 03:25 PM
you catch those ??

nope

CK Angler
03-08-2015, 03:26 PM
That greenback is only 26 inches, nice healthy fish and a great photo! But it ain't no 10 lber... Seen it on Manitoba greenback forum on FB

CK Angler
03-08-2015, 03:29 PM
The one thing that had turned me off of this lure is the single treble... Guys are having great success with them on big windy( lake Winnipeg) but I wonder how many missed hook sets?

Fishslayer99
03-08-2015, 05:30 PM
The one thing that had turned me off of this lure is the single treble... Guys are having great success with them on big windy( lake Winnipeg) but I wonder how many missed hook sets?

CK,

I found the rear treble to be a pain in the *ss because it would get wrapped in the main line while jigging, I took it off and replaced it with a good quality large singe hook. It doesn't get tangled any longer and the hookup ratio is actually fairly good, I'm sure the hookup ratio with the treble is pretty good. I usually pull one of the trebles off if there are 2 on a lure anyway. Nothing worse than a slimy pike that swallows a plug and you can't even pry his mouth open because he's got 6 hooks in him!

Winch101
03-08-2015, 06:03 PM
In that Lk.Winnipeg south basin you can catch fish like
That with your hands . We been fishing lures like that
For years , hit and miss ,
I don't think it's the lure , more like the water ......
Definitely that rear treble is a pain , snip off one point
Has to be the correct one ....

Lures catch fisherman ........nice fish though .