PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun! Operation stay alive...

FreshAirGetter
03-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

During a bit of a crazy first year of fishing I encountered quite a few near-death experiences, and for 2015 want to do my best to keep those down to the bare minimum. With that in mind, I've been recommended by my dad and another over-protective friend to buy a shotgun for when I'm off in the bush alone wandering aimlessly to find a fish.
My favorite trips were hiking in seldom travelled areas with nothing but my rod and a tiny pill bottle of small choice lures. The idea of adding weight doesn't appeal to me, but I did run into a bear last year as well as know of wolf dens and cougars in the area.
Biggest decision then is do you think I should get a shotgun or not? I'm sure the statistics of animal attacks are low, but I do seem to hear of quite a few - plus I'm a bit cursed and have bad luck so it's probably just a matter of time before I wander in the wrong bush and the wrong time. That being said there is such a thing as being over-prepared, and I don't want to be bogged down by every piece of safety equipment.
If the general consensus is to get one, any recommendations? Price and weight would be the biggest factors for me.
Another topic of concern would be on when it's allowed to use and not. For this I would do the research, but if any members happen to know general areas that you can't protect yourself with a shotgun, let me know. I haven't been to any Provincial Parks yet but imagine there's laws there. I wouldn't mind going to get a Golden Trout again and have a feeling it might not be allowed to bring a shotgun to those mountainous regions, but don't know for sure.
I don't know much about this topic and keep in mind I am aware of that and that's the reason I'm asking - I will not get a gun and go shooting up the place blindly, so please keep any smart@ss comments away :snapoutofit:

wwbirds
03-10-2015, 03:15 PM
use search function this comes up a lot and the statistics are readily available showing 98% of people using bear spray escape an encounter unharmed but using a firearm accounts for 50 death or injury from wounded bear.

FreshAirGetter
03-10-2015, 03:19 PM
use search function this comes up a lot and the statistics are readily available showing 98% of people using bear spray escape an encounter unharmed but using a firearm accounts for 50 death or injury from wounded bear.

Thanks ww...that's good to know. I actually made myself a little safety kit. It was just a knife and a bear spray bottle in a holster that I held up with a belt over my waders...lol. Guess that should work!

cube
03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks ww...that's good to know. I actually made myself a little safety kit. It was just a knife and a bear spray bottle in a holster that I held up with a belt over my waders...lol. Guess that should work!

Personally I would not carry a gun for the purposes that you mentioned. Bear spray perhaps.

I do not think you'd be allowed to carry a weapon in the National Parks.

As for Provincial parks
"Firearms and Hunting
• Hunting and the carrying and discharging of
firearms are not permitted in most provincial
parks and recreation areas.
• Hunting is permitted in wildland parks and
there are limited hunting seasons in some
provincial parks and recreation areas. For
information on hunting in these locations,
refer to the annual “Alberta Guide to Hunting
Regulations” (available in print and on the
Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource
Development web site at esrd.alberta.ca) or
visit AlbertaParks.ca/hunting."

FreshAirGetter
03-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Personally I would not carry a gun for the purposes that you mentioned. Bear spray perhaps.

I do not think you'd be allowed to carry a weapon in the National Parks.

k thx...looks like i'll be able to save some money, while at the same time keeping lightweight and free! Thanks for the advice guys.

PerchBuster
03-10-2015, 06:19 PM
My advice as well would be to always make some noise as you hike through the bush or remote areas. Wear a set of loud bells on your backpack. Carry a small marine horn and let her rip a couple times along the trail. They'll hear you coming long before you ever get a chance to have a face to face encounter and will clear off. The horn will scare the bejeebers out of a lot of them especially if forced to use up close and personal. Always carry bear spray and by the sounds of it you may want to get a lucky rabbits foot to take along too. :sign0161:

Talking moose
03-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Care to elaborate on all your near death experiences? I find these story's facinating.

spinN'flyfish
03-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Great topic here, I also wouldn't bring a weapon either, kinda limits where you can be. Bear spray and a horn is sufficient to keep safe,safer than to carry a weapon and actually ''encounter'' an animal. One thing I've got to ask is if pepper/bear spray can be used on other harmful/aggressive animals when circumstances may require (when charging at you)

blgoodbrand1
03-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Great topic here, I also wouldn't bring a weapon either, kinda limits where you can be. Bear spray and a horn is sufficient to keep safe,safer than to carry a weapon and actually ''encounter'' an animal. One thing I've got to ask is if pepper/bear spray can be used on other harmful/aggressive animals when circumstances may require (when charging at you)

Of course. Just watch the wind direction.

Ozzzzz
03-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Bear spray can be used on any agressive animal. Period.

It is the most effective deterrent out there!! Just don't forget to pack it, and keep it accessible.

spinN'flyfish
03-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Good to know, I've got a big bottle of it. Always expires before need to use it (a good thing), but worth your life. Always good to carry one whenever you're out and if you don't need to use it- good but if you used it and survived - even better

schmedlap
03-10-2015, 08:07 PM
carried a light shotgun (20 g, single shot), or a handgun, with me on some of my adventures into "deep" wilderness, but never fired them on any such occasions, and they were a real pain when wading the canyon creeks or tough bushwhacking in question - the only way to travel those creeks/rivers. Almost all the encounters I have had with bears (several) or a cougar (once) were them just running away from the considerable noise I (we, sometimes) made as I/we hiked into their territory. If I had known about "bear spray" at the time, I would have carried it instead. I think the advice to be "noisy" is the single best deterrent. I will acquire some bearspray if and when I undertake any such new adventures.
The only time I ever actually fired a weapon was in respect to deterring an "acclimatized" black bear that was raiding an actual provincial campsite in the Kakwa area - we hardly ever camped in any "official" campground, but did on that occasion (we had some "yuppies" along who were deathly afraid of not having a real "toilet" nearby) - this guy/gal was pretty happy with the easy food situation (?), until he/she got chased by a couple of 12g shotgun blasts (over his/her head - I did not want to actually put some shot in its ass) at 3 am - he/she was actually sniffing around the edges of a couple of the tents when the occupants awoke me with their screams - that was the last camping trip for those yuppies - funny to me how the "civilized" campground was actually more "dangerous" in this respect than our usual "random" camping sites (?). Never had a bear show up at any of those places in the night.
But I always put the food coolers inside a truck at bedtime, and don't allow any food tossing into the bush - bones and other detritus go into the fire. The squirrels and mice have always been far more trouble than any carnivores. A squirrel which gets into the bread bag (and they will, very inventively) will take "one bite" out of each piece, down the loaf, and cause great distress to those who can't live with bread slices that have a small chunk out of them (?). Or, if one leaves the can of nuts on the picnic table, they will chew through the plastic lid to get at them (actual experience). I have yet to challenge the local squirrels with a firearm - my boys find their antics quite entertaining in this regard.
Get some bearspray and/or some bells, as suggested, and it is very unlikely that we will be reading about your demise at the hands of some carnivores - more likely is the article about an enraged outdoorsman strangling some "cute squirrels" (?).

cranky
03-11-2015, 12:45 AM
I carry some bear bangers and spray. Ive only had to use a banger once.
Both are quite effective its said ( i hope so) and beats packing a heavy gun which id probably never get time to use anyhow.

buckman
03-11-2015, 08:03 AM
I know people who are so scared of the wild that they wont venture into the mountain areas.

I have never had an issue in all my time camping,hunting and fishing in bear country.

Yes I have encountered bears,cougars and wolves.They all seemed more interested in running away than attacking.

The exception may be a sow with cubs or working on a hunting kill.

I carry an airhorn, and sometimes bear spray.

chinchaga
03-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Read the fine print on the wording of the Bear Spray study. It was conducted in the U.S. where Bear Spray is manufactured with a 10% minimum of active ingredient. In fact, in some states, you can't even call it Bear Spray unless it is minimum of 10%.

Now look at your Canadian can of Bear Spray. The high end stuff is 1%. The cheaper stuff is .75%. Huge difference. Cops use 10%. Some humans who are enraged can fight back thru the spray.

Now factor in the wind. If it is against you, which it usually is, or else the bear would have scented you and vacated the area, the effective range is, 1.) Greatly reduced and 2.) You are about to Bear Spray yourself. Even with good wind, the spray still manages to vortex and some will find you, and may incapacitate you at a time when it is extremely inopportune.

The Bear Spray study throws out a skewed result and should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you are charged by a bear without warning, you cannot deploy your firearm fast enough and neither can you deploy your bear spray fast enough.
If a bear stalks you or challenges you, you have enough time for either defense. If you are calm and careful, the firearm works everytime. If you are calm and careful, the bear spray will likely work, as long as the wind co-operates. You choose.

An old park warden I knew from Jasper did not like the bear sprays. Too weak he said and he said that more times than enough it would just infuriate the bear. He was a veteran of the park bear wars and knew what he was talking about. His best defense that he favored over bear spray was a fire extinguisher. Said he thought it took away their air, you had way more capacity, and it didn't incapacitate the operator with blowback.

Bear Spray is better than nothing, but I can assure you, there is drawbacks.

cube
03-11-2015, 08:44 AM
I carry some bear bangers and spray. Ive only had to use a banger once.
Both are quite effective its said ( i hope so) and beats packing a heavy gun which id probably never get time to use anyhow.

Just make sure when using the bangers that it lands between you and the bear and not on the far side of the bear, as you will then drive the bear at you.

tight line
03-11-2015, 08:59 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=2095&pictureid=9219 here is my typical River fishing set up. Nothing too crazy

tight line
03-11-2015, 09:08 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=2095&pictureid=9220 you can never be too safe in Grizzly/Predator Country!!!

J D
03-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Fished in many remote areas with high predator numbers and have not need or felt that I needed to carry a shotgun. North western BC running into bears out fishing is a given the ? Is will they be black bear or grizz. Most want no part of you.

I have also run remote traplines checking baits with no real issue

If you want to carry a shotgun go for it in legal areas but I personally see no point. A loud whistle or bear bangers are easier to carry and scare the crap out of wildlife.

If predators really wanted to eat people we would be screwed. In reality animals like to conflict avoid with people.

Using your head will keep you safer than a shotgun. Educate your self about the predators out there will do you more good than anything you can carry

J D
03-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Look into it a cow moose is more likely to stomp you than a bear chewing on you

CK Angler
03-11-2015, 10:43 AM
I carry bear spray, and have never had to use it... Have yet (knock on wood) had to encounter a bear. I do bring my dog with me 80% of the time, and I know he would sacrifice his life for me if I ever do run into a bear... Although that would suck royaly if it ever happened.... I have run into a couple bears hunting, one was coming up the tree line towards me in a ground blind and all I had was a muzzle loader (hunting in MB) once it got to within 50 yards and was starting to get concerned, so I stood up and yelled "hey, get outta here" bear instantly turned and took off!

Another quick story, I fell last year into a dried creek bed with bear spray on my hip, any one who says it isn't strong enough lol ya... Have a bath in it, it fricken burns man! It was an hour before I could get some where to wash it off my side, it burnt for hours ! I had to keep getting in and out of a cold shower for hours, it was brutal. Thank god I didn't get it in the face... Finally I soaked a Towel in milk and put that on my side, couple xtra strength advils and I was able to fall asleep... And it made me puke from inhaling.. That stuff is nasty!

edmhunter
03-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Look into it a cow moose is more likely to stomp you than a bear chewing on you

Tell that to this poor guy! My answer, go down with a "FAIR FIGHT". Warning Graphic.

http://www.montanahunting.org/1600lb-man-eating-grizzly-killed-in-alaska/

Never say never, my answer, don't stop shooting until the bear stops moving!:

cube
03-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Tell that to this poor guy! My answer, go down with a "FAIR FIGHT". Warning Graphic.

Don't think a shot gun was going to stop that bear in time though.

edmhunter
03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Better than your fists! I have seen this same gun stop a bear in it's tracks, permanently! :)

J D
03-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Did not say it never happens but in reality it is very uncommon. Like I said moose are worse check the stats.

You could choke on your food as well but does that mean we should blend all our food before eating?

Like I said have at it carry your shotgun in areas you can legally carry. In my opinion I see no point and have spent a lot of time in heavily populated bear country beyond anything you will find in Alberta.

Educate your self on bear body language and you will know when to stay and fish or when to move on.

More people worried about them the better for me keeps my fishing spots peaceful

edmhunter
03-11-2015, 11:52 AM
FYI: I am not an advocate of being petrified by bears nor to restrict your outdoor adventures because bears live in the areas you are frequenting.

I have been attacked by one black bear already, and I just prefer to be aware of the environment I am in and to carry a big stick when I feel it necessary.

Try cow elk chirping in Grizz country, you may be surprised what shows up! :)

Talking moose
03-11-2015, 12:00 PM

That last pic is nasty!!!!

J D
03-11-2015, 12:06 PM
FYI: I am not an advocate of being petrified by bears nor to restrict your outdoor adventures because bears live in the areas you are frequenting.

I have been attacked by one black bear already, and I just prefer to be aware on the environment I am in and to carry a big stick when I feel it necessary.

Try cow elk chirping in Grizz country, you may be surprised what shows up! :)

Attack do you mean charged or actually got a claw on you? If it got a hold of you I could see where your stance comes from. Charged been there and bluff charges will make your butt hole pucker.

I have actually bowhunted grizz in BC and many black bear. Spot and stalk or calling are my methods. Fully aware of how bears react to calls try a fawn/calf in distress during late spring like ringing a dinner bell.

My stance comes from a lot of exposure to both species of bear hunting them and being in the bush with them. Hold a lot of respect for them and will stand firm that education on bear encounters is far more valuable than anything you carry

Personally I will take bear bangers over a shotgun less likely to turn a tense situation into an injured bear wanting to chew on you. This comes from having to finish 2 injured bears do to scared Rambos.

huntsfurfish
03-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Attack do you mean charged or actually got a claw on you? If it got a hold of you I could see where your stance comes from. Charged been there and bluff charges will make your butt hole pucker.

I have actually bowhunted grizz in BC and many black bear. Spot and stalk or calling are my methods. Fully aware of how bears react to calls try a fawn/calf in distress during late spring like ringing a dinner bell.

My stance comes from a lot of exposure to both species of bear hunting them and being in the bush with them. Hold a lot of respect for them and will stand firm that education on bear encounters is far more valuable than anything you carry

Personally I will take bear bangers over a shotgun less likely to turn a tense situation into an injured bear wanting to chew on you. This comes from having to finish 2 injured bears do to scared Rambos.

Very well said!

edmhunter
03-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Well every situation is different for sure, the bear I killed, was about 12" away while I was in a tree stand. 12" goes way beyond bluffing, and I have seen a few bluff charges in my day, where I did not shoot.

I say anything thing closer then 50 Ft. based on my experiences is way too close for my liking. For the record, I have killed several bears with bows and I stopped killing bears years ago because I found it relatively easy, plus I do not eat bear meat and do not want to kill anything I do not eat.

J D
03-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Well every situation is different for sure, the bear I killed, was about 12" away while I was in a tree stand. 12" goes way beyond bluffing, and I have seen a few bluff charges in my day, where I did not shoot.

I say anything thing closer then 50 Ft. based on my experiences is way too close for my liking. For the record, I have killed several bears with bows and I stopped killing bears years ago because I found it relatively easy, plus I do not eat bear meat and do not want to kill anything I do not eat.

Bluff charge can be extremely close. If I killed every bear that got within 50 feet there would be a huge pile of bodies.

If this was well baiting then there is something many forget bears will defend a food cash. They are also very curios.

You are far from the first and will not be the last to have a bear get that close in a tree stand. Some don't even shoot that bear and leave unharmed.

I was not there to see how the bear was acting so I cannot say if this bear was truly aggressive or not.

I could sit here pass stories back and forth but it will amount to nothing. You will stand on your opinion I will stick with mine.

Those who choose to carry a shotgun keep it legally and only use it if you must just being close is not a good reason. If you wound a bear you just created a problem for everyone else around.

edmhunter
03-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Bluff charge can be extremely close. If I killed every bear that got within 50 feet there would be a huge pile of bodies.

If this was well baiting then there is something many forget bears will defend a food cash. They are also very curios.

You are far from the first and will not be the last to have a bear get that close in a tree stand. Some don't even shoot that bear and leave unharmed.

I was not there to see how the bear was acting so I cannot say if this bear was truly aggressive or not.

I could sit here pass stories back and forth but it will amount to nothing. You will stand on your opinion I will stick with mine.

Those who choose to carry a shotgun keep it legally and only use it if you must just being close is not a good reason. If you wound a bear you just created a problem for everyone else around.

Of course you can't, so trust me it was aggressive, even more than my x wife in divorce court! lol

In the end we are all entitled to our opinions, I respect yours.

Just so you know I love bears and will never kill another, unless it's absolutely necessary. :)

lds
03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
I carry a maverick 88 short barrel pistle grip 12 gauge. In a backpack case. If you decide to get a gun that's your best bet for a low budget. $230 but saying that. I think you just want spray by the sounds of it

J D
03-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Of course you can't, so trust me it was aggressive, even more than my x wife in divorce court! lol

In the end we are all entitled to our opinions, I respect yours.

Just so you know I love bears and will never kill another, unless it's absolutely necessary. :)

I think my biggest reason I don't encourage a shotgun is from the idiots who have caused myself and others to track bears they wounded.

Like I said not dead against carrying a shotgun just don't see a need to. Someone who uses it only if they must I have no issue with it is the guys who freak and shoot because a bear looked at them.

Myself I will kill 1 or 2 bears a year but that is because I eat them :D

edmhunter
03-11-2015, 01:18 PM
I think my biggest reason I don't encourage a shotgun is from the idiots who have caused myself and others to track bears they wounded.

Like I said not dead against carrying a shotgun just don't see a need to. Someone who uses it only if they must I have no issue with it is the guys who freak and shoot because a bear looked at them.

Myself I will kill 1 or 2 bears a year but that is because I eat them :D

Lot's of Don Knotts :scared0018: in the woods, I would not be one of them.

I am a predator, and animal no different from a bear. :bad_boys_20:

CanuckShooter
03-11-2015, 08:37 PM
My advice as well would be to always make some noise as you hike through the bush or remote areas. Wear a set of loud bells on your backpack. Carry a small marine horn and let her rip a couple times along the trail. They'll hear you coming long before you ever get a chance to have a face to face encounter and will clear off. The horn will scare the bejeebers out of a lot of them especially if forced to use up close and personal. Always carry bear spray and by the sounds of it you may want to get a lucky rabbits foot to take along too. :sign0161:

:)

One year we were sitting out on the front deck and two grizzly bears were headed for my camper that we had just unloaded the day before. Living on property we could see them coming from a ways off, so I got the 338 out and when it looked like they were intent on tearing my camper apart I put a shot into the ground just in front of the lead bear [from the side]. I was only about 50 yards away and the grizzly seemed interested in the little duff in the ground but the sound of the gun going off didn't even faze them. I let of a couple more with the same effect. They eventually wandered off in another direction, but I don't think my shooting had anything at all to do with them leaving.

I'm not sure your theory of making noise is going to scare bears off......

Another time I was shotgunning ducks on Vancouver Island and saw a big black coming my way when he was a few hundred yards away. I was just banging away with that old browning shotgun and when I looked over my shoulder about a half hour later there was this massive black bear checking me out from about 30 feet.

I am trying to say wearing some little bells probably isn't going to scare a bear off.....

Personally, bear spray is pepper....and pepper is a condiment...when I'm face to face with a bear the firearm is my choice every time. I'd rather kill the bear dead than spice him up. IMHO

vcmm
03-11-2015, 09:08 PM

I'll take my chances with my rifle.:evilgrin:

edmhunter
03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
:)

One year we were sitting out on the front deck and two grizzly bears were headed for my camper that we had just unloaded the day before. Living on property we could see them coming from a ways off, so I got the 338 out and when it looked like they were intent on tearing my camper apart I put a shot into the ground just in front of the lead bear [from the side]. I was only about 50 yards away and the grizzly seemed interested in the little duff in the ground but the sound of the gun going off didn't even faze them. I let of a couple more with the same effect. They eventually wandered off in another direction, but I don't think my shooting had anything at all to do with them leaving.

I'm not sure your theory of making noise is going to scare bears off......

Another time I was shotgunning ducks on Vancouver Island and saw a big black coming my way when he was a few hundred yards away. I was just banging away with that old browning shotgun and when I looked over my shoulder about a half hour later there was this massive black bear checking me out from about 30 feet.

I am trying to say wearing some little bells probably isn't going to scare a bear off.....

Personally, bear spray is pepper....and pepper is a condiment...when I'm face to face with a bear the firearm is my choice every time. I'd rather kill the bear dead than spice him up. IMHO

I'm with you man, ALL DAY LONG! :)

Hydro1
03-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Bear spray can be used on any agressive animal. Period.

It is the most effective deterrent out there!! Just don't forget to pack it, and keep it accessible.

Yup i have used it on coyotes/coydogs.
When i go camping/fishing or whatever with no intention of hunting. I do not bring my bow, so i dont see the need for bringing a gun if you arent hunting.
Number 1 thing with bear spray as oz said is how accesible it is.

As for the bear bell, i dont usually have one on me. I do however have one on my dogs collar.
More or less to keep track of him when in thick bush if he isnt on leash.
Lets face it, he is prey or competition to our predators, i doubt a little bell is going to deter them from trying to kill him. I have no reason to believe it will do the same for me.

lambski
03-12-2015, 09:03 AM
I carry both! Had to out swim a grizzly twice in one day! Better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6!

FreshAirGetter
03-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Care to elaborate on all your near death experiences? I find these story's facinating.

Sure Moose. Let's see here, what happened to me since I started fishing late 2013...tons of hooks in my clothes and body but that's not life threatening...just sucky and temporarily painful.
My closest call was probably in my dad's jet boat on the NSR. My friend and I were out, and decided to take a break and gold pan. He put his expensive camera on the top of the hull exposed (despite having a monster waterproof case right beside it) and then went to gold pan. After a bit he asked me to bring the boat to him. The water there was really shallow and I didn't want to start the engine, so decided to just walk the boat to him. It was right beside a small waterfall/riffle section that branched off, and I quickly succombed to the always-surprising strength of the water. I would have made it into the boat without any issues, but my yelled "My camera, my camera!". Before saving myself I reached for the camera first to try and protect it, and boy did I pay the price. I was half on the boat holding the camera, then "THUMP!!!" The boat hit a huge rock and I fell out of the boat. Because I was holding on to the camera and boat (and not fully in it) I ended up flipping upside down and my shoulder hit a huge rock shelf. I was pretty shaken up and had a cut/bruise the size of my whole shoulder, but ended up ok. If however I would've hit my head instead of shoulder, I would probably be dead. Scary stuff!
What else...at Wabamun I tried to be a hero and drive to the far reaches of the lake, and ended up falling through the top layer. Thank God there was a strong bottom layer! When the front end of my truck started going down I thought I was a goner! It was weird last year with the 2 layers...but luckily escaped unscathed (except for when I was being towed out I accidentally ran over my brother's tipup).
Walking a stream in the bush I did run into a black bear. Luckily it was on the other side. My brother shot off a bear banger and it didn't seem to deter it much, but it did walk away.
What else...oh yeah, waders almost killed me a few times. I love them, but definitely should invest in a wader belt (if that stops water from coming in). I found myself a few times wading in water just cm's from going over them, which I heard can be quite disastrous! The Blackstone was one of them, so the water I doubt would show me any mercy...lol. Another was in Prairie Creek, and the only reason I needed to go in the one deep spot was to get my lure back...I hate losing them...lol. But is the lure worth my life? No, so hopefully I've learned my lesson.
I'm sure there's more, but you get the picture. Wilderness newbie learning his lessons, or at least going through experiences. I don't let nature dictate what I do, but I slowly come to respect it more and more...

FreshAirGetter
03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks all for the great advice and stories. I was thinking I would just a shotgun model # and price...had no idea all the different opinions out there on this subject. Will have to give it some more thought...

edmhunter
03-12-2015, 02:15 PM
I use a Mossberg 88 3" Maverick with an 18" barrel with a synthetic stock, bought it for $150.00 used. Already posted the picture (#22). Deadly and lots of shocking power, when and if you ever need it!

You can use 3" magnum slugs, SSG or buckshot with it :)

spinN'flyfish
03-12-2015, 06:55 PM
I have a question, luckily I have never encountered a bear, never saw a bear charge before (always would be people warning me). If the bear charges at you and you decide to spray it will it immediately stop? From what I can tell is that if you shoot a charging bear, one shot and he's dead as a door nail. I personally like the back country and I would like to return home alive

J D
03-12-2015, 08:06 PM
I have a question, luckily I have never encountered a bear, never saw a bear charge before (always would be people warning me). If the bear charges at you and you decide to spray it will it immediately stop? From what I can tell is that if you shoot a charging bear, one shot and he's dead as a door nail. I personally like the back country and I would like to return home alive

Charging bear hit with bears spray or shotgun is not 100% going to stop him in his tracks But both can stop the bear as well

Better off not to get charged to start with