PDA

View Full Version : Tip-up set ups?

Bassett
12-28-2008, 07:21 PM
I got a tip up queit a while back and I was wondering what you set it up with?I've only used a big hook with a big smelt, what hooks/bait/set ups do you guys and girls use??

Thanks! Bass...

ULTRAlite
12-28-2008, 08:22 PM
for pike - a quick strike setup (can be purchased at retailers) with a large smelt or anchovie.

moosehunter3-0
12-28-2008, 10:20 PM
For pike I use a really small treble hooked under the dorsal of a small to medium bait (anchovie or smelt). Pike harnesses work really well too. For burbot I always use a bigger size of a hook so they dont swallow it like they always do with baits lol

TundraBuck
12-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I make my own quickstrike rigs, and bait is up to you. Anything from the ocean. Anchovies, smelts, sardines, mackerel, etc.

hockeyfish
12-29-2008, 01:27 PM
for burbot, i ususally use a big glow jig tipped with an anchovie

Big Red 250
12-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I use smelts about 8-10 inches long. Can sometimes get them at Superstore, for pike don't forget a 12 inch leader. for walleye I just use a jig and minnow.

Lethalconnection
12-29-2008, 09:38 PM
For pike I use a really small treble hooked under the dorsal of a small to medium bait (anchovie or smelt). Pike harnesses work really well too. For burbot I always use a bigger size of a hook so they dont swallow it like they always do with baits lol

Small suggestion...trebles arent the ideal hook for pike when using a tipup. For those of us who have used baits under a tipup pike like to eat in a hurry and alot of time before u get the fish up the hole they have gut hooked themselves and with a treble forget it you aint gettin that sucker out now i know they apparently digest them but there have been a few studys done and they dont digest all that great as one would imagine.

I make my own quickstrikes and i use these bad boys
http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/5430NEW.JPG

Use the small hook to hook into the bait and the other does the main work and if it does take it deep you have ALOT better chance of gettin the hook out and less harm done to the fish....Unless you are keeping them all then continue what you do.

Bassett
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Thank you for all of the great replies but I have to ask, what are quick strikes where can I buy them or how can I make them?

rabelb
12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
We make our own quick strike rigs using two, medium sized treble hooks tied to 20 lb. wire and then tied back to a split ring. When fastening to the bait, usuallly a 10" - 12" herring, one of the trebles is fastened to one side of the head behind the gills and the second one is fastened to the tail area on the opposite side which keeps the bait straight in the water. The split rig is then fastened back to the terminal line on the tip up.

This rig works great for Pike and we've used the same rigs for Burbot as well.

rustynailz
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Good call Lethal - those Partridge pike hooks are perfect. When I can't find them I just clip one of the trebles off.

Also, it really helps to make damn sure the barb is completely crushed and not just pinched a bit.

Lethalconnection
12-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Thank you for all of the great replies but I have to ask, what are quick strikes where can I buy them or how can I make them?

This is a quickstrike
http://www.musky.com/Features/resource/qs2.JPG

Just go to any fishing store and they should have everything u need. 20-30lb wire( i prefer teflon coated, u have the option of melting the wire together as opposed to crimping also helps u identify damaged wire), get some crimps(make sure u get the proper size diameter so you can loop the wire through twice), some swivels, and then some hooks, and i would suggest these for pike
http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/5430NEW.JPG
does alot less damage to fish if gut hooked and easier to remove but if you cant find those trebles work just as good but as rustynailz suggested cut one hook off.

littlered
12-31-2008, 06:50 AM
With those quickstrike rigs that lethal showed, does the bait hang horizontal? It looks like it would tend to be vertical. In the past we have used a rig that looks more like an upside down v and sounds like what rabelb is using.

Lethalconnection
12-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Yes they do hang horizontally you hook the stationary hook into the head and the adjustable hook inot around the dorsal fin and it will hang horizontally.