PDA

View Full Version : Lee's Lake

FishorDie
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Im thinking of making a trip up there. Just wanted to varify that its just out side of Fort Mac???

How is the trout fishing in this lake?

Scott N
12-29-2008, 09:13 AM
The only Lees Lake that I'm aware of is in the Crowsnest Pass area. When you say "Fort Mac", do you mean Fort Macleod? If so, it's quite a bit farther west than Fort Macleod is. You take Highway 3 west until you reach HW 507. Go south for about 3 or 4 kms and you'll find Lees Lake on the side of the highway. Fishing for rainbows can be pretty good, the lake is fairly furtile and the fish can grow to a nice size. I don't know if this is still the case, but at one time there were a lot of suckers in the lake. In the mid-80s I was enrolled in the environmental science program at the LCC, and in our fisheries class we took some fish samples using nets. Suckers out numbered the trout by about 10 - 1 if I remember correctly.

If this is the right lake you are thinking about, Beauvais Lake and Beaver Mines Lake are also in the area and both offer decent ice fishing at times.

FishorDie
12-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah that is the one im thinking of ... 10 to 1 huh ... can anyone back this up ... i hate suckers!!!

Scott N
12-29-2008, 09:30 AM
If you head out west, be careful. We were on Highway 3 yesterday and the highway conditions were terrible. There were a number of cars in the ditch between Cowley and Fort Macleod.

FishorDie
12-29-2008, 09:39 AM
yeah i went through on the night of the 26th .... couldnt even see the lines on the road ... very slow going

spurly
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Does not seem to be a sucker problem anymore, lots of fish, but only 8-10 in.

FishorDie
12-29-2008, 12:37 PM
whats near lee's lake ... oldman res? or something along those lines.... i live in calgary and im new to the area ... looking for a good lake to ice fish for trout

spurly
12-29-2008, 12:41 PM
oldman reservoir. beuvois lake and beaver lake, are all within 30-40km.

FishorDie
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
how the fishing for trout ?

npauls
12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
once and awhile you can find some decent size trout in lees. Beauvais has some decent fish in it at the far end. Kind of a long walk but worth it if you find the big guys lurking around there. You can also try the rocks on shore across the lake from the boat launch, I use to always catch a ton of smaller fish off of those rocks. I heard there is some really nice size bull trout in beaver mines and the bows in there seem to be getting bigger from what I was told this summer. I would say if you aren't getting anything to big at one then pack it up and head to the next lake. They are all pretty close to each other.

Badback
12-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I have never seen a sucker at Lee's, but I have seen lots of wind....If you fish in the Crowsnest around Lee's, Oldman Reservoir, Beauvais or Beaver lake make sure your items are secure...The wind comes up some days without warning and is powerfull...My profile picture is me ice-fishing Lee's from 2006...With the wind chill that day it was around -30

Brian
12-30-2008, 07:51 AM
There used to be LOTS of suckers in Lee Lake but back in the 90's, Ace Vegetation (contractor) was hired to apply rotenone to the lake to kill all the fish. That was done, and the lake was restocked with trout. I imagine by now though that suckers are beginning to re-establish themselves, but don't know to what extent. There should be some nice trout, but the lake gets fished quite heavily so the majority are likely 1st or 2nd year stockers. However......you never know for sure........!!!!!

FishorDie
12-30-2008, 10:04 AM
ive heard it can get nasty in that area .. what about dickson pond ... worth my time?

Guitarplayingfish
01-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Haha fishordie. That is my e-mail adress. I just got back from lee lake a couple days ago, its right past Lumbreck falls going west. Fished there for about 3 hours or so, they hit non-stop... me and friend got about 10 rainbows each, unfortunately all pinners. biggest one was about 1lb. Heading up to Beauveau in about 8 hours to try my luck for some bigger rainbows. wish me luck haha

FishorDie
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
yeah .. how did you end up doing?

gunsnreels
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
eol

spurly
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Thats the little whitefish, at island. they are only about 3" long and will drive you nutz, but there are some nice fish there.

FishorDie
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
How big were the rainbows at Beaver Mines... i went to spray lake on friday and it sucked!

gunsnreels
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
eol