PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Coyotes this time of year

arrow_baron
03-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Tommorow ill be heading out to my uncles to get everything ready for bear baiting the following weekend. I was thinking of trying to call in some coyotes in the morning and evening but have never done it. I was jus wondering if anyone had any tips on hunting them his time of year, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

H380
03-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Tommorow ill be heading out to my uncles to get everything ready for bear baiting the following weekend. I was thinking of trying to call in some coyotes in the morning and evening but have never done it. I was jus wondering if anyone had any tips on hunting them his time of year, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I quit hide hunting coyotes a month ago but had a call from a neighbour saying the coyotes wouldn't leave his collies alone whe he was feeding cows . So I went back out and called using a challenge howl and had 5 show up before I got the call put away . They hung up at 350 yds so lit up the pup in distress and they charged in to 200 before they caught the wind . Picked out the biggest and dropped him as the rst beatr a hasty retreat out of sight . Hide was surprisengly decent so got it skinned , no $100 hide but probably 50 and not wasted . Go with coyote vocals and forget the rabbit for the most part .Many are call shy to that game now . Good luck

Grizzly Adams
03-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Calving season equals coyote problems. Talk to some ranchers. Think I'd wait a while with the bear baiting, even if it's unseasonably warm.

Grizz

arrow_baron
03-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Calving season equals coyote problems. Talk to some ranchers. Think I'd wait a while with the bear baiting, even if it's unseasonably warm.

Grizz

My uncles got cattle that's why I plan on hunting them out there. They were hard on his calves and sheep last year. As for baiting we always put it out two weeks before. It's almost a tradition now.

The earliest I've seen a bear bait hit was April 12th, this year I think we will beat that. I wouldn't be surprised if we have one hit by opening day. A friend of my is a logger and said that right now where he's at there's hardly any frost in the ground. I don't want to get my hopes up but I think it will be an early spring this year. There is barely any snow out my uncles way and looking at the forecast the next 2 weeks are in the plus 10 range

7mmremmag
03-16-2015, 10:33 AM
It is never a bad time to hunt coyotes. Farmers, ranchers and deer fawns will thank you

JoshT
03-16-2015, 12:28 PM
My cousin seen a bear out already up near Grande Prairie. I'm sure he just den himself back up. But there definitely moving.

H380
03-16-2015, 10:10 PM
F&W had a grizz killed calf up in the crowsnest pass area reported a couple days ago , gonna be a long summer for the bear babysitters ..

Redfrog
03-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Are you sure it was a grizzly bear. some folks say there ain't no bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOb4nnkID4

H380
03-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Are you sure it was a grizzly bear. some folks say there ain't no bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOb4nnkID4

wouldn't have believed it either Red but it came right from the Bios mouth .. He has a little different count on the bears than the tree huggers do and they don't believe him .:snapoutofit:

Prairiewolf
03-17-2015, 05:33 PM

How'd it go?

beaver hunter
03-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Called one in today....just jack in distress....actually had a decent blondeish fur, I'm gonna utilize it for my first skinning attempt

arrow_baron
03-20-2015, 08:36 PM
How'd it go?

Never got any coyotes but then again never had much time. We realized Monday night we were already able to bait so we had a quick hunt and ended up getting 11/12 baits all baited up. I couldn't believe how little snow there was in the bush. My guess is we will have our first hit within the first week of April. As for coyotes I will go hard next days off. My uncle will be calving here soon and he wants them gone. Coyote numbers are rediculously high around my uncles farm

Albertabowhunter
03-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but is it legal to start baiting prior to April 1 anyway? I was under the understanding you had to have your licence with you in order to start your baits, and licences are not available as of yet for this year. I have never checked, I wont start baiting until the 3rd week of April at the soonest.

Dick284
03-21-2015, 06:30 AM
Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but is it legal to start baiting prior to April 1 anyway? I was under the understanding you had to have your licence with you in order to start your baits, and licences are not available as of yet for this year. I have never checked, I wont start baiting until the 3rd week of April at the soonest.

Can you please post where you have determined your statements to be indeed factual.....

Jperepeletza
03-21-2015, 07:44 AM
I got my spring bear tag at canadian tire I feel like I'm missing something now

Dick284
03-21-2015, 08:20 AM
All the info is there if you care to read, and research for yourself.
Half truths, and wives tales abound, through, failure to read and research.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/wmu/bear-cougar-seasons.html

2 weeks prior to the season opener for starting baiting.

No requirement to hold a license if baiting, just your WIN.

I haven't bought a bear tag since 2006, yet I run baits every spring, friends and family benefit, from my efforts, lotsa cool trail cam pics too boot.