PDA

View Full Version : Estimate for open water

spinN'flyfish
03-15-2015, 07:46 PM
When do you guys think most lakes in Alberta are ready for the open water season (without spawning closures march to may)?

AlbertaCutthroat
03-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Early March! Where I'm at at least ha ha.

calgarygringo
03-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Lakes south of cowtown are already open. Boats on the water today. Just pick your lake after today and go fishing.

npauls
03-15-2015, 08:22 PM
I was out chasing walleyes today on my boat and if it wasnt so windy yesterday i could have been out as well.

The season for most lakes down here closes today so it will be awhile before you can fish from a boat for walleyes unless you know of some open all year places with a launch.

spinN'flyfish
03-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Didnt hit any lakes today, gloomy weather in area around cowtown.I wish i did....before they close for two months.The open ponds in southern alberta are probably the best alternatives for the rest of march til may. Didnt think there'd be brave souls on the water today. Any boating accident in the open, frigid water could be deadly. Play safe out there folks. Mountain lakes should be ready for open water fishing in late april, maybe earlier depending on the weather. Does anyone from central/ northern alberta have any idea about the ice? Read from somewhere that there's still 20'' of ice. Any bites today, or are the fish not in feeding mode today?

PlayDoh
03-16-2015, 12:51 AM
You mean there's a lake that doesn't have a spawning closure? News to me if so, not that I'm an expert.
Please share if said lake(s) exist.

Kim473
03-16-2015, 04:25 AM
1 - 3 weeks before the the May long is usuall around Edmonton.

calgarygringo
03-16-2015, 07:33 AM
Get out either a map or a copy of the Alberta Fishing Guide and the 2015 regs. There are some listed with no closures and you will also find a few more in the fishing guide you have never seen or heard of that are fishable this time of year. Most don't have a boat launch but are quite fishable from shore. No reason you can't go chuck some bait and have some fun on a nice warm day over the next month or 2.

You mean there's a lake that doesn't have a spawning closure? News to me if so, not that I'm an expert.

waterninja
03-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Was out on the ice 3 days ago in edm. area and ice still 2 feet thick

EZM
03-16-2015, 02:56 PM
I vote March to May ..... depending on the latitude and size of lake. Some big lakes don't break until close to May Long Weekend (Cold Lake). The ones further north into June some years.

TROLLER
03-16-2015, 03:24 PM

Taber Res.

npauls
03-16-2015, 06:01 PM
If 1 or 2 guys wants to head out before most lakes open again for eyes i will take them in my boat for a day on the water chasing eyes.

Only thing i would like in exchange for that trip would be a 7+" lowrance hds or elite sonar with color and gps. I need the whole unit since my bow mounted sonar crapped out on me yesterday. :thinking-006:

I will be boat fishing for eyes pretty much every weekend from now until the sawt tournies are done for the year.

Esox
03-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Lots of southern ab lakes stay open, yellow, cross coulée, picture butte, cpr and horsefly to name a few.

chriscosta
03-16-2015, 07:55 PM
April as usual lol

Mackinaw
03-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Lots of southern ab lakes stay open, yellow, cross coulée, picture butte, cpr and horsefly to name a few.

Which lake would be best for eyes not familiar with southern lake but might get boat out of storage early

Mack

npauls
03-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Which lake would be best for eyes not familiar with southern lake but might get boat out of storage early

Mack

All mentioned are hit or miss and take some effort and work to locate eyes. They all have small populations of walleyes that can be caught but dont expect the type of bite you would find on the normal walleye lakes.

Also you wont have an actual launch to use you will have to locate places to shore launch which can be sketchy with the ground starting to thaw so be careful and have a game plan in case you sink your tow vehicle.

Mackinaw
03-16-2015, 10:37 PM
All mentioned are hit or miss and take some effort and work to locate eyes. They all have small populations of walleyes that can be caught but dont expect the type of bite you would find on the normal walleye lakes.

Also you wont have an actual launch to use you will have to locate places to shore launch which can be sketchy with the ground starting to thaw so be careful and have a game plan in case you sink your tow vehicle.

Do these lake not have boat launches?

Mack

calgarygringo
03-16-2015, 10:47 PM
Best bet unless you have a 12 or 14 ft tinniy is to leave the boat at home. Large heavier aluminum or fibreglass such as I wont have much hope launching at least to the ones I have fished. Bait fishing or launching a small tinny is your best bet on these open lakes. There are fish there too if you are willing to work at them. In fact early before the weeds kick in is the best time for some of them while everyone else is on shore during closed season.

npauls
03-16-2015, 11:58 PM
Do these lake not have boat launches?

Mack

Nope no actual launches.

As i mentioned there can be places to shore launch but be careful with the soft ground.

Also as mention before a 12-14 foot tinner would be your best bet hand launched if you dont know the lakes at all amd want to try from a boat.

Esox
03-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Mack

As mentioned they all have small populations of eyes. Havent fished it in 2 or 3 years but cross coulee use to have some alright walleye fishing in the spring where the inlet is. Used to launch a 14 foot with a 30 horse on a trailer no problem in that area to.

Mackinaw
03-17-2015, 09:23 AM
As mentioned they all have small populations of eyes. Havent fished it in 2 or 3 years but cross coulee use to have some alright walleye fishing in the spring where the inlet is. Used to launch a 14 foot with a 30 horse on a trailer no problem in that area to.

Was hoping to put in the crestliner but also have a smaller jon boat so that might be the way to go. Can see where the inlet would be a definite ffish attraction. Thanks for the info.

Mack

npauls
03-17-2015, 04:42 PM
You will have to launch by hand at the inlet due to steep banks where you would park

Mackinaw
03-17-2015, 09:23 PM
You will have to launch by hand at the inlet due to steep banks where you would park

Launching by hand is no issue same boat I use at Duck lake will slide down bank is unsinkable and indestructible. .....lol

Mack

Penner
03-18-2015, 10:33 AM
1 - 3 weeks before the the May long is usuall around Edmonton.

Agreed on average. This year the way it'l has been going lakes around the Edmonton area I'd suggest will be ice free last week of April - first week of May. Add a week for those in the Lakeland. A cooler than normal April could slow that thaw but long term forecast is calling for above average temps.