PDA

View Full Version : Smoking pike

Sharpie
03-16-2015, 12:04 PM
Im gonna try smoking pike for the first time. I've read leaving the skin on will wreck it. Is this true or can i leave the skin on?

RavYak
03-16-2015, 12:28 PM
I remove the skin from all the fish I smoke and I prefer it this way. Always turns out too mushy with the skin on imo.

One trick a guy can use to keep it from sticking to the smoke rack is to put it on parchment paper cut out to fillet shape. Then when you flip it an put directly on rack. I learned that from another member on here and it works good.

Sharpie
03-16-2015, 12:47 PM
ill try that thanks. I have smoked only trout and salmon and lots of them. I leave the skin on with those and have no issues. Keeps in the fridge for a long time and never changes. So tasty it rarely last more than a few days.

pushing 60
03-16-2015, 12:50 PM
I agree skin off. have done whites (,skin on) they taste great, but a bit soft..
my marinade is 1/4 salt 3/4 brown sugar. let sit overnite in fridge then wash off completely, pat dry, then smoke 4 to 6 hrs using birch wood or whatever.
I'm always open to new methods!! good luck.

dalesilvertip
03-16-2015, 09:20 PM
I take skin off and debone, then brine over nite. I use brown sugar, lemon juice, molasses,soy or oyster sauce, oil,salt,black pepper and beer. I don't rinse them off, only pat them dry and let sit on racks for half an hour, then smoke in bradly smoker for a couple of hours or so depending on how dry you want them to end up. Delicious!!!!

anthony5
03-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Try 1/2 with and 1/2 without the skin and see which is better, seem to prefer skin on, less mess, just smoke skin down and don't flip:sHa_shakeshout:

Mackinaw
03-16-2015, 10:33 PM
I always leave skin on pike or lakers only difference is I slit the laker skin to let more oil out.

Mack

Conor_90
03-17-2015, 12:45 AM
I like to leave the skin on for trout after scaling them but I always remove the skin from pike.

fluxcore
03-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Try 1/2 with and 1/2 without the skin and see which is better, seem to prefer skin on, less mess, just smoke skin down and don't flip:sHa_shakeshout:

Skin on for me two

fluxcore
03-17-2015, 10:10 PM
I cut slits in the laker skin two, tried some great pike with the skin on last season done up like candied salmon it was really good!

Weedy1
03-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Im gonna try smoking pike for the first time. I've read leaving the skin on will wreck it. Is this true or can i leave the skin on?

Smokin what?:bad_boys_20:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w6Z7srifMVk/UGzYz8MMmGI/AAAAAAAAADE/qqiXn5bb0CY/s1600/tumblr_mas9akGF5I1qchnreo1_500.jpeg

Kim473
03-18-2015, 09:33 AM
I did some whites last week and left the skin on. Helps keep the meat from falling apart and the skin allmost tastes better than the meat. I recomend washing well to take away the fishy taste / slime and leave the skin on. Try both ways in the same batch and compare.

aulrich
03-18-2015, 01:02 PM
I do skin off, and oddly I like the fact the fish breaks up some, that way I can pull stuff off as it gets done, rib meat , chicken finger(the Y bone cut), tail then back.

A fish like goldeye is just scaled, though whites I do the same as pike.

I have been toying with the idea of ground fish jerky, it works well with venison and goose.