PDA

View Full Version : Demo day... dumb idea?

Okotokian
03-20-2007, 12:16 PM
I wonder why I've never seen any "demo days" when it comes to firearms. When I bought my golf clubs, I was able to go to a course that had arranged to have reps of all the major brands there. I was able to try out a ton of different clubs and ended up buying a new set of PINGs on the spot.

When I was recently trying to decide on a a first center fire, I was stymied as to what to get. I could look at recoil charts, but really had no idea what it felt like. I'd only ever shot a 270 and a 30-06. Was curious about the 7mm RM and the various WSM's, but didn't know anyone who even owned one. I wished some store like Wholesale would have had a demo day at a range where you could try out a few of the popular calibres. Perhaps reps from each major manufacturer with 5 or 6 of their most popular calibres... you get the idea.

Any ideas as to why they don't/can't do that?

WCTHEMI
03-20-2007, 12:19 PM
It sounds like a good idea to me, but there could be a problem with liability that they don't want to deal with. But then again, you can go to Wild West and shoot any handgun without a PAL.

GoonBag
03-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Most likely it is a liability issue as stated earlier. I was at P&D not too long ago and asked them if they ever allowed customers to test fire a firearm before purchasing it. There response was akin to "If we had a range attached to the building then our employees would spend all their time there instead of working." I thought he had a good point because if I was working there I would definately be one of those guys getting canned for spending all day capping off my pistols.

bearbait
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
stoney creek in whitecourt will take you to the range and let you shoot what ever....no test pilot rules...if your serious about buying theyll take care of you...
rob

Duffy4
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Years ago I was in the market for a compound bow. I was shopping at the old Edmonton Sporting Goods on Whyte Ave. I had it narrowed down to three bows so the salesman said he'd take then that night to the Edmonton Archery club range in the river valley about where the Mutart pyrmids are today. I shot all three and decided on the one I wanted.

A demo shoot would be a good idea and I'nm sure would help some people sort out what kind of gun they would want to buy.

Robin

bigbore
03-21-2007, 07:10 AM
you can test out so to speak, handguns and Wild west, and Phoenix

Faststeel
03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
It is a great concept, however with the competitive nature of retail gun sales, whats preventing a potential customer to use your guns then go shopping some place else to save $9.99?
On top of that the gun store that holds the demo day has to provide ammo and scopes on rifles, and after its over he's got a number of used rifles to sell. At the current retail margins its an idea that just isn't economically feasable. FS

Scott N
03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
I agree with Faststeel that it's nor really practical for a retail gun store.

I have heard of manufacturers doing it though. Last year sometime Stoeger Canada, the Canadian distributor of Sako and Tikka rifles, had some sort of demo day in Ontario.

shortround
03-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Try doing it yourself - join a club, wait for one of the funshoots, and try to organize a kind of demo thing on top of it -- tell people who would be willing to let interested newbies try their guns to bring a couple of different guns along, and tell people who are interested in purchasing something new that there may be one of those at the shoot.

Okotokian
03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
That gun club "let other people try your gun" idea sounds pretty good!. I've been thinking of joining an AFGA chapter. Maybe that should be my first suggestion/project. As for it being too much of a burden for one store, I would agree to a degree. I was more thinking of the manufacturers bringing their guns. That is the approach used by golf clubs. Cost of ammo? I'd have people pay a buck a round or something. I would have gladly paid $20 to shoot say 4 rounds though five calibers. Anyway this is probably dead now. Thanks!