PDA

View Full Version : Caught the same Pike two outings in a row.

SKSniper
03-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Just realized the 11lb 5 oz pike I caught on Monday was the same 11lb 1 oz pike I caught yesterday....pretty cool, I drilled new my hole yesterday literally 1 foot away from where my hole was on Monday and got him on the exact same bait and set-up.

Pike from Monday
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/twy25/double%20pike%201_zps8p1ut4mq.jpg

Pike from yesterday
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/twy25/Double%20pike%202_zpszqigiwvr.jpg

Wonder if he learned his lesson yet? Gotta love catch and release :)

Darren N
03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
That's always cool to see.

baitfisher83
03-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Pike don`t learn, Me and my dad both caught the same one fishing below Bassano dam once, he lost it to line breakage, then not even an hour later I caught the same one with his rig still in it`s mouth.

WayneChristie
03-19-2015, 12:12 PM
I caught the same pike 3 times from my shack this winter. Like to blame it on my awesome fishing skills but I think it was just a dumbazz

cube
03-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Pike don`t learn, Me and my dad both caught the same one fishing below Bassano dam once, he lost it to line breakage, then not even an hour later I caught the same one with his rig still in it`s mouth.

It's not just pike.

I caught a walleye multiple times in the same day just a couple of weeks a go.

When I was cleaning it I found 3 of my minnows and one of my brand new jigs in its stomach. I had thought is was a pike that had cut me off but alas is was the Wascally walleye.

Hellraiser
03-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Got bit off years ago from a pike. Re-tied a new lure, and 3 casts later, BAM. Landed him with my other lure still in his mouth.

fishdude17
03-19-2015, 12:22 PM
A few years ago I caught a bull trout while fishing the Highwood River. Later that day and roughly 2 kms from where I caught him, landed him again...with the same lure. He had a scar on his belly that indicated that it was the same fish.

Kurt505
03-19-2015, 12:26 PM
It appears you have a new friend!

That is pretty cool.

SKSniper
03-19-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm glad to see this is a common occurrence, maybe i'll get another crack at Ol' Scarback before ice is off, she was the big one that got away on me a few weeks ago in the same spot, watched her for 5 minutes as she eyed up my herring before she finally attacked and kicked off right at the hole :angry3:

clarki
03-19-2015, 01:16 PM
caught the same pike twice as well, a few times actually. my favourite though is the cutthroat I caught on back to back casts on the Oldman. spotted him rising next to a rock and got him on a BWO. my knot broke and I watched him swim away. by the time i re-tied with a PMD he had gone back to his rock and was rising again with my BWO istill in the corner of his mouth... made my cast and got him and my fly back!

M

schmedlap
03-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Caught the same tagged Walleye twice in one day. Caught the same bull trout on the way upstream and the way back down. I can recall 3 times when I have scored a lure/jig by removing it from the Pike that I just caught - Once dangling from the corner of the mouth, once all wrapped in several feet of mono with the lure, and once dangling from 2 hooks embedded in its belly - so they don't have very long memories (?).

Talking moose
03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Fish have no memory or problem solving ability. Everything a fish does is instinct driving it to do something... Imo

outdoors forever
03-19-2015, 06:05 PM
Fish have no memory or problem solving ability. Everything a fish does is instinct driving it to do something... Imo

I'm not so sure TM - I have had quite a few fish solve the problem of being caught by spitting the hook right at the hole......

:sHa_shakeshout:

To the OP, really cool thread!! And better that you have pics to show. Thanks for the great read.

chriscosta
03-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Heres one for ya ..my lucky tip up lol ..somehow it wiggled down the hole at wab ..next weekend same area first fish up had hooks in it mouth and low and behold my tip up :) ..flag was missing but i had a roll of red tuck tape in the car so now it waves a red flag lol

tight line
03-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Nice!

BobLoblaw
03-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Fish have no memory or problem solving ability.

Huh. Apparently, I work with a whole bunch of fish!

CK Angler
03-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Just goes to show you how important good fish handling techniques are, release then in good shape and they will bite again, me and my buddy last year caught the same walleye twice in one day, I caught it first he caught it later, but the funny thing about this walleye is it was the biggest Walter of the day, 26.5", we play the first, most and biggest $5 bet for fun and we tied that day for biggest!

CK Angler
03-20-2015, 08:58 AM
2nd time caught that day, the split fin and tail is how we were able to identify it.

Nova
03-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Saw this video on another forum and figured it was sort of applicable to the direction this thread has gone.

https://youtu.be/wOpGA4m7sXk

fishdude17
03-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Saw this video on another forum and figured it was sort of applicable to the direction this thread has gone.

https://youtu.be/wOpGA4m7sXk

WOW! That's awesome! What are the chances of that...

WillyOneStyle
03-21-2015, 04:43 AM
I once caught a pike that had taken my lure a few days earlier, I was glad to get the hardware back.

I have twice snagged lures that I had lost on previous trips. The best was a log that I initially thought was a big one. When I got it to shore it had my lure from a few weeks ago still stuck to it.

slough shark
03-21-2015, 09:11 AM
A few years back on the James river I caught the same Brookie 4 times in 1 week, he was in exactly the same spot every time and caught him on 3 different flies.

58thecat
03-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Huh. Apparently, I work with a whole bunch of fish!

Haha how true:thinking-006:

Sundancefisher
03-21-2015, 05:16 PM
very impressed with your level of observation. Many people would of missed that.

ROA
03-25-2015, 03:48 PM
I caught a pike missing it's left eye at wabumun Was looking around on this forum a day later and found a pic of the same fish another member posted. That was cool.