PDA

View Full Version : Open water big pike

froggy
03-20-2015, 09:53 AM
I have a trip to sask planned this summer and was hoping I could get some pointers on gear lures ect for big pike how big do my lures ect need to be for the big boys ?

EZM
03-20-2015, 10:07 AM
1) Bait. Sames as ice fishing really .... a big bait, let it soak. Not a terribly exciting way to fish, but that's probably the method most "big pike" hunters use. I run 2 single 8/0 or 9/0 circle hooks, in tandem, on a heavy fluorocarbon leader up 24" to a bead, egg sinker and swivel snap. 7"-10" herring.

2) Trolling. I use a 9"-12" crankbait (deep running) like a triple D or Ernie on fluorocarbon through or along ambush points on the deep side of structure holding fish. Med/Fast speeds with pauses and turns.

3) Casting. I like tossing big cow girls, 2 oz / 3 oz jig heads on 6"-8" rubber tails and bouncing through weed flats, drop offs or along other suspect areas. Slow presentations. bounce and stop. A couple jerks - mix it up.

The single most important thing - find the right place where the big pike will hold. They will ambush large prey, but prefer not to expend energy chasing small baits. Yes, a big pike will take a 2" spoon if it hits him on the nose on the way by, but the big pike makes a choice anytime something that may seem to be a meal presents itself. If you are using bait, let them chew for a bit with your spool on free spool, wait until it starts up again before setting the hook on regular hooks (or tightening up with circle hooks).

cube
03-20-2015, 10:58 AM
I have a trip to sask planned this summer and was hoping I could get some pointers on gear lures ect for big pike how big do my lures ect need to be for the big boys ?

Where are you planning on heading?

Davidantkiw
03-20-2015, 11:14 AM
Rapala husky jerks 👌

ballhunter
03-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Len Thompson 5 of diamonds is a never fail

RigPig
03-21-2015, 08:59 AM
My most productive lure has to be a large spinnerbait casted at weed beds as I travel along the shore line. Close second would be same technique with 5 o diamonds.

58thecat
03-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Len Thompson 5 of diamonds is a never fail

Bam....fish on!

chriscosta
03-21-2015, 11:10 AM
This time of year the big breeding girls wont chase things too often a really big sardine a foot under a bobber with good size trebles use 50 to 100 pound tuff line i know thats overkill but it will never break no matter what on a pike ..as tuff as you can find titanium leader and when ya buy trebles dont go cheap ...of its not spawners and your casting use x raps or storm kickin minnows in the big sizes same line and leaders good luck