PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an old Shimano Sidestab reel?

Jack&7
03-22-2015, 04:18 PM
I have an 90's (?) era Sidestab 2000 spinning reel that I love. Well it appears after taking it apart last night, that one tiny part made of white metal had finally given up the ghost and shattered.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/antireverse-ratchet-p-1542225.html

It is called the anti-reverse ratchet.

Of course, you would think a part like this is cheap...and you would be right! I did the search on the google box and found it in the link posted above. $2.99

I am happy.

Then I look at shipping to Canada...5 weeks and $35. Or a few days for over $50!!!:angry3:

Not so happy anymore....all that for a part the size of a Skittle.

So I thought I would put out the appeal here....anyone have one for parts that they would be willing to sell me?

Or does anyone know of a Canadian place to order Shimano parts from?

Nova
03-22-2015, 04:50 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Shimano-Part-RD-3656-Anti-Reverse-Ratchet-Fits-49-Reels-/181681048216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4d08ca98

A bit more reasonable on the shipping.

I've actually got a couple Sidestab 2000 reels as well that are on my rod set-ups designated for those individuals I can't trust with my $300+ setups. I know I've got a couple older Shimano reels somewhere that may possibly interchange. I'll see if I can find them tomorrow, gotta head to work right away.

Jack&7
03-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Thanks Nova!

MUCH better on the shipping. But please let me know what you have...as you can see in the EBAY ad, that part comes from 49 different Shimano reels.

Nova
03-22-2015, 05:44 PM
I found one of the reels before I left home. FX200, looks like it has an different style of anti-reverse setup. The other reel was of the same era, so I'm guessing it will be a similar setup to the fx200 but I'll still check when I get a chance.

Another thought on that eBay one, if you know of anyone with a postal box in the US you could probably save yourself another $10. There's probably a few members from the forum who do.

Parts for reels can be a nightmare in Canada. Last summer I was getting all set up on the first day of our trip in northern Manitoba. Was my dad's first time on the water for the year but his rod had been in my boat all season. I put the rods in the rod holders and when we got to the fishing spot his handle was gone. Must have slowly vibrated loose. Replacement handle is almost the same price as a new reel after shipping.

A.H.
03-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Try giving the reel doctor in Edmonton a call. He might be able to fix you up!

A.H.

Nova
03-24-2015, 12:52 PM
I didn't have any luck finding that other reel. I'm starting to think I may have given it to my brother for one of his spare rods.

Geezle
03-24-2015, 05:19 PM
I *might* have one kicking around if it survived the move.

I'll shoot you a PM if I find it, but no promises at this point :o

Mine would be a 2500 however...don't think there is much (if any) difference besides spool size though.

pikergolf
03-24-2015, 05:31 PM
I have an 90's (?) era Sidestab 2000 spinning reel that I love. Well it appears after taking it apart last night, that one tiny part made of white metal had finally given up the ghost and shattered.

Of course, you would think a part like this is cheap...and you would be right! I did the search on the google box and found it in the link posted above. $2.99

I am happy.

Then I look at shipping to Canada...5 weeks and $35. Or a few days for over $50!!!:angry3:

So I thought I would put out the appeal here....anyone have one for parts that they would be willing to sell me?

Or does anyone know of a Canadian place to order Shimano parts from?

You picked one of me most expensive shipping options, I got 14 bucks USPS.

bubba 96
03-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Let me look at home when I get there on wknd Im positive I have one you can have...

QUOTE=Jack&7;2774069]I have an 90's (?) era Sidestab 2000 spinning reel that I love. Well it appears after taking it apart last night, that one tiny part made of white metal had finally given up the ghost and shattered.

I am happy.

Or does anyone know of a Canadian place to order Shimano parts from?[/QUOTE]

Jack&7
03-27-2015, 07:30 PM
You picked one of me most expensive shipping options, I got 14 bucks USPS.

Hmph?!?

I cannot disagree with you PG....

When I first looked at that page, I didn't have those cheaper options. I swear it!!!

Well...that is a helluva lot more reasonable.

Geezle
03-28-2015, 01:51 AM
Well I located my old Sidestab...it's a 2500, which isn't on the list in your first post. It's sorta fully functional but the bail spring is kinda borked...sometimes it only closes half way by reeling and sometimes it's ok.

That said, I'm living on minimal funds right now and can't send it to ya, but if you can get it down there, perhaps by AO pony express(?) you're welcome to have it...hopefully between the two you can build one fully functional one?