PDA

View Full Version : Maui Sporting Clays

rccam1
03-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Down in Maui and am looking at trying a few rounds at Maui Sporting Clays. Looks good on Google but am wondering if anyone has shot there and your comments.

Thanks

rogo
03-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Funny enough my Dad got me this for a christmas present in Maui. It was the best present I've got in a long time, making great memories.

I will say that when go to Maui it takes me about 2 days to become very bored of just sitting on the beach, so this was a treat.

I don't know how much it costs ( it was a present ) but I would highly highly recommend it.

We got a ride with the host ( i think dave) up to his place in Maui. He told stories of shooting goats and deer the whole time, he is a really friendly guy.

All the guns and ammo was setup up ready to go.

There we a bunch of different station setup all around the hill and we got to walk to each one and shoot.

It was definitely a memory I'll never forget with my dad. Shooting clays in Maui over looking the ocean is pretty spectacular.

The one thing is the guy goes with you the whole time - and he also is pretty talkative. Each station giving a 20 min lesson on shooting. He is knowledgable and passionate about his job clays, but at the end of the day we just wanted to shoot stuff.

Tip # 1 - If you can book it where you are the only group going. We went and ended up going with total beginners, worse two beginner women and neither of them looked like Kate Upton.

Tip #2 - I think he may even take you deer hunting with his .22 Magnum, check to see if thats an option. Just tell him youre a hunter.

220swifty
03-23-2015, 11:14 AM
I shot there 15 years ago, and it was a great time. Nice rental guns (beretta o/u's, iirc) and as mentioned, Dave was a good host. Also, like Rogo, my Dad paid, so I'm not sure of the cost. I was also 16 at the time and it was worth the price for pops, as he was just looking for an excuse to escape his mother in law for the day. He didn't even shoot, just observed my brother and I, but still thinks it was the best day of the trip.

rccam1
03-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys. Gonna give it a shot as it's should be a good time. Will let ya know how it goes.

Cheers

rogo
03-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Make sure you bring your Camera. It's stunning up there.

The range is at the top of a mountain in south Maui.

rccam1
03-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Make sure you bring your Camera. It's stunning up there.

The range is at the top of a mountain in south Maui.

Heading out this morning. Got the camera and can't wait!

rogo
03-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Post some pics !

rccam1
03-27-2015, 10:53 AM
So we went and did some shooting ( got some pics but can't post them until we get back home). This is an amazing place to have some fun and learn a bit about how well or not well you shoot. Dave picked us up and the fun started almost immediately. There were birds everywhere and here's a list of what can be hunted. Ringneck pheasant, Kalij pheasant, chukar, Erckel’s francolin, gray francolin, black francolin, California quail, Gambel’s quail, Japanese quail, barred dove, spotted dove, mourning dove, chestnut-bellied sandgrouse and Rio Grande turkey. Although we did not see all of these running around we were lucky enough to see Ringnecks, Chuckers, all of the Erckels and a nesting pair of some quite rare Owls. There were Axis deer all over the place and one buck that really stood out. Dave estimated it a just over 30 inches, very big for an Axis in this area.

As for the shooting. The facility is great, equipment is top notch and Dave's a hoot. Makes it clear from the start that you are there to have some fun. As we were the only two shooting that morning it was not so much a competition as a BS session with Dave. He's a world class shooter (or was in his day) and he helped out with some really good tips and tricks on how to shoot in this type of range. The course has about thirty different stations with multiple throwers on each one so it offers a wide range of angles and speeds and when you combine these with the foliage and undulations it can play with your ego. Even has a great five stand course for some added fun at the end of your shoot. Dave lets go a flurry of birds and it's an all out non stop assault to if you learnt anything from the previous stations.

The prices are reasonable, the views on this 23,000 acre working ranch are incredible and the shooting is great. If you are in Maui and have the chance I recommend this be on your list of things to do.

Oh, and if you see any Mongooses. Blast away!