PDA

View Full Version : Utikuma lake close call

chad66
03-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Did anyone hear about the truck that fell through the ice on Utikuma Lake Saturday? I wasn't there but apparently the front tires broke through first, three people jumped out, and then the rest of the truck broke through and disappeared. I guess it happened near the island while crossing a pressure ridge. No one was hurt

snowman160
03-23-2015, 12:26 PM
I don't know why this happens especially with all the talk about how dangerous it is to cross a preassue ridge with a vehicle..yet it continues to happen.glad they got out safe..

bilyk
03-23-2015, 12:55 PM
I was thinking of heading out there this weekend. How is the ice in general? Where there other vehicles out there?

chad66
03-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Ice is generally good. Lots of other people out there. I guess many who were near the fellow who dropped the vehicle left shortly afterwards...

Jamie Black R/T
03-23-2015, 03:56 PM
fresh snow this time of year hides all kinds of dangers.

Seen two trucks literally in the middle of lac ste anne yesterday :thinking-006:. Measured spots with only 12 inches of ice out there while fishing off my sled and crossed a couple fair sized heaves that were totally hidden by the fresh snow.

be careful people. use your heads.

Sooner
03-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Was sledding my hunting spot north of Calling Lake on Sunday, drove to the lake on the way home to have a look and thought I wonder what the fresh snow is hiding. Quite the heave just out from shore and it goes for a long ways. Can't imagine trying to cross any heave with a vehicle.

Double-Eh
03-23-2015, 10:02 PM
What happens to the truck now? I imagine no insurance company in the world has "falling through the ice" coverage. Unless they try to report it stolen.

But moreover my question is about what happens to the truck? Is anything done to retrieve it?

German
03-24-2015, 01:54 AM
If i can find them, i will post pics of a pickup truck and backhoe that broke through Utikima last year. That area by the island is bad. That's where this truck and backhoe went through.

waterninja
03-24-2015, 04:05 AM
What happens to the truck now? I imagine no insurance company in the world has "falling through the ice" coverage. Unless they try to report it stolen.

But moreover my question is about what happens to the truck? Is anything done to retrieve it?
I asked my insurance company about this and they said that as long as you have comprehensive ins, you are covered.

CK Angler
03-24-2015, 07:42 AM
I asked my insurance company about this and they said that as long as you have comprehensive ins, you are covered.

Same, I asked and am covered for the truck and retrieving it.

Double-Eh
03-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Do trucks get recovered up to a certain depth?

Barnes19
03-24-2015, 09:36 AM
I was told it happened close to the Island when you go on at KM80, Drove over a pressure ridge. Truck stayed up just long enough for the 3 guys to get out. Last guy jumped off the box just before the truck went down. Apparently the truck is sitting in 17 FOW, must be one of the deepest parts of that lake.

There was lots of other trucks on the lake but I would be extremely careful that lake has a reputation. Was there about 3 weeks ago, there was lots of flood ice and still only about 2 feet of ice total and it didn't seem as solid as the other northern lakes I fish on.

waterninja
03-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Do trucks get recovered up to a certain depth?
Not sure what you mean, but I would think that ALL vehicles would be recovered, unless perhaps they are in very deep water, which we don't have much of in AB.

pikester
03-24-2015, 09:17 PM
All vehicles get recovered regardless of situation/depth is what I understand, no matter what it takes. I imagine they would use divers, 100 ft of cables, & a heavy-lift helicopter if it was the only way; the final bill for recovery can be nearly limitless! Potential environmental damage due to leaking fluids from a submerged vehicle is taken almost as serious as Exxon Valdez here.

dalesilvertip
03-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Seems a bit exaggerated, the water is nowhere near 17 feet deep around the island .

Drewski Canuck
03-25-2015, 12:58 AM
The Island in the North West Corner is over 20 FOW. but the island straight out from Km 80 has about 12ish on the west point, otherwise pretty shallow.

But trucks through near pressure ridges is pretty common everywhere.

The recovery method is two long beams making a "ramp" to the top of the ice, winch vehicle from lake bottom onto the ramp and out.

Open doors and tow to the wreckers. Motors hydraulically crack once water is taken in while running. Electrical shorts out, not much point in fixing.

Drewski

Mackinaw
03-25-2015, 09:20 PM
The Island in the North West Corner is over 20 FOW. but the island straight out from Km 80 has about 12ish on the west point, otherwise pretty shallow.

But trucks through near pressure ridges is pretty common everywhere.

The recovery method is two long beams making a "ramp" to the top of the ice, winch vehicle from lake bottom onto the ramp and out.

Open doors and tow to the wreckers. Motors hydraulically crack once water is taken in while running. Electrical shorts out, not much point in fixing.

Drewski

My old man put a 56 chev panel truck through the ice was pulled out engine drained new cap and plugs dried out and fired up .....and theysay todays trucks are better......right

Mack

dugh
03-26-2015, 08:10 AM
I had an instructor in college, early eighties. He built a pontoon unit with a space in the middle large enough for a full size vehicle. I imagine it had winches for raising the vehicle, I only saw a picture so am not sure if it worked well or not.

chad66
03-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Here is one way to get a vehicle out if there is no heavy equipment around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0_oKHARhXw