PDA

View Full Version : Educational Underwater Vid Pike on the Jaw Jacker

Brandonkop
03-24-2015, 08:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2qI1YtUN0

Underwater Video of the Jaw Jacker in action on a very tough day of fishing March Friday the 13th. The weather was beautiful warm, calm and sunny but the fish were in an ultra negative mood. So much so we thought there weren't any fish in the area from watching our MarCum. Turns out there were lots of fish in our area and instead of our jigging action pulling fish in to the bait it was actually turning them off before they were even seen on the sonar. This is where the Jaw Jacker's were excelling. I learned a few things from this video. The pike were getting off because I had a light line on the rod and reel so I think the monofilament was stretching too much to get a good hook set. Also since the fish were in such a negative mood they wouldn't even fight after the hook set so they would create their own slack and just spit the hook. So on slow days it really does call for a Jaw Jacker rigged with braided line, a good stiff rod and loaded with lots of tension. That way the fish will hopefully still be there when you get to the rod on those slow fishing days. Check out the video I learned a lot from watching it after and hope you do too. Northern Pike behavior on an off fishing day.

waterninja
03-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Another great video Brandon. Thanks for sharing. Those pike can sure give you the hairy eyeball.
I have often noticed that when a pike comes in to investigate a bait, any jigging or twitching can often spook them. Thats why I always have a dead stick out when ice fishing. I wonder if the jig/flasher was spooking them also. Perhaps a minnow or smelt on a bare hook would look more natural and inviting.

Jamie Black R/T
03-24-2015, 09:30 AM
I always find this time of the year that walleye and pike get a little finicky. Dead baits and downsizing lures works for me usually.

great vid.

Imagine how many guys fishing without a camera or flasher just assume theres no fish in the area and move.

cube
03-24-2015, 10:11 AM
I always find this time of the year that walleye and pike get a little finicky. Dead baits and downsizing lures works for me usually.

great vid.

Imagine how many guys fishing without a camera or flasher just assume theres no fish in the area and move.

Moving might still be a good thing. If the fish aren't biting in your area moving some place they are a bit more aggressive might pay off. Not saying that is always the case but I have certainly seen it, esp. at a lake like Pigeon where fishing pressure can turn fish off in an area.

cube
03-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks for posting Brandon. Very well done.

I found it very interesting that the walleye did not look that concerned about that 10 lb. pike.

Thanks

Jamie Black R/T
03-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Moving might still be a good thing. If the fish aren't biting in your area moving some place they are a bit more aggressive might pay off. Not saying that is always the case but I have certainly seen it, esp. at a lake like Pigeon where fishing pressure can turn fish off in an area.
Yep true...but i will always adjust presentation first. Move to another location if that doesnt work.

cube
03-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Yep true...but i will always adjust presentation first. Move to another location if that doesnt work.

Agreed. I usually show them 3 different presentations before I move.

timsesink
03-24-2015, 11:14 AM
As a self confessed ADD fishermen I've come to realize there's more often then not fish. It's me that needs tweaking. As for line I've found hookups on braided line far more consistent, I also run it opposite of quite a few guys and leave no slack in the line, again I feel I get more hookups.

honker_clonker
03-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Not sure if the fishin hole has their ice fishing gear out anymore but they had brought in some automatic fisherman brand rods in February I believe that in my opinion are some ideal rods for autos/ jaw jackers. They have a fairly light tip but transition a pretty meaty backbone in a hurry. The medium action one would really pop when tripped I would imagine to properly drive the hooks home. They are glass rods too so you don't have to worry as much about blowing one up if the tip gets compressed. Worth a look if they are on sale right now.

Bigdad013
03-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Never been a pike guy. But I must say that was quite informative and good video. Good job.

Game Hunter
03-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Great vid. Thanks for the education, ill take every bit of vids to help out.
I've always set my jj light and if there's issues with hookups tighten up the tension. Keep them coming my friend, keeps me excited when off the water.

RACKER
03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Great video and info as always.The only problem here is that im jealous that I don't get out as much as you!Thanks for posting and one day I hope I end up fishing beside ya.

Brandonkop
03-25-2015, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys... working on the walleye one. There were a lot of walleye so trying to cut and edit it down to something that will be useful and entertaining.