PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca River close to Hinton in May?

Jason.seaward
03-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone,
I will be a little west of Hinton (Old Entrance) in mid May. Understanding that the river might be high and fast because of spring run off, just wondering if there are any areas that would be worthwhile for shore fishing. I am most interested in catching a bull trout.
Thanks!
Jason

lambski
03-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Born and raised here! Any trib coming in will be a staging area for rainbows. Whites and bullys will be present as well. Muskuta creek will be close to u and there will be fish there, i have personally seen a bully come out that was 41.5 inches in this spot. Just downstream of the bridge on 40 there is some slow water on the south side of the river, which is right where u will be. Couple spots behind the mill and jst down from the bridge that takes u on the willow creek road, again south side. Over wintering hole if u take east river road to the big hill and walk in, ANY WHERE A CREEK RUNS IN IS WHERE I WOULD BE!

Jason.seaward
03-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Lambski!! You are the best! Exactly what I was hoping.

Ps... would the May long weekend be too soon in the season for descent fishing? I guess I should check the regs.

lambski
03-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Soon as it opens, i believe april 1 on that stretch, lots of nice spots all along the a road or emerson creek road, i always used to be itching to bust out fly rods so i was there opening day, ice on the lakes isnt safe so i hit the river to pass the time, Some nice spots in the park too, need a different license and u would need to look at the regs, dont have to go all that far into the park either, find a river running in and u might be suprised at what u catch!:bad_boys_20:

Water may be high and dirty by then!

Jason.seaward
03-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Ya, I anticipate the water to be high, fast, and murky. I will try anyways, as there are not too many times per year I get into your neck of the woods!

lambski
03-25-2015, 08:18 PM
In the park we used to go where the Rocky river runs in on Thanksgiving weekend, annual trip, we would catch hundreds of whites and some beauty bull trout, they would almost beach themselves on the gravel bar trying to eat the whites off your hook, it was awesome! I believe it shuts down sept 31 now but i assume it would be good in sept if u are ever around.:sHa_shakeshout: