PDA

View Full Version : Truck Through Ice Cold Lake

Rage.0
03-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Anyone hear about the truck that supposedly went through the ice at long bay in cold lake? Ice was a full auger last time I was there. Sounds like maybe a hoax or rotten top layer of ice.:shark:

EZM
03-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Cold Lake would suck .... most of that lake is pretty deep .... too deep to recover a truck I would think. That work get's sketchy after about 30-40 feet deep.

Ossie
03-25-2015, 02:59 PM
You can go thru almost any thickness of ice if you are not careful when driving on ice with a very heavy load. A heavily loaded vehicle creates a "wave" ahead of the vehicle, and if you drive too fast, you climb the wave and might break thru.....

1bluZebec
03-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Lots of vehicles through this year compared to last.

pikehunter1989
03-25-2015, 05:25 PM
I can't see it being due to ice... Maybe driving to fast but was out there last weekend and there was 3 ft of ice and maybe a 5-6 inches of rotten ice on top. I'm curious if anyone has any truth to it

splake0
03-25-2015, 05:29 PM
I doubt it. I was also out last weekend and there was no sign of bad ice.
Am going out Fri and do not have any worries about the more than 3 feet of ice.

Buck9
03-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Anyone hear about the truck that supposedly went through the ice at long bay in cold lake? Ice was a full auger last time I was there. Sounds like maybe a hoax or rotten top layer of ice.:shark:

I heard the same thing today. From what I heard it was by the ice heaves from the sandbar. Would be curious to see how much of the truckwent threw

Ranch11
03-25-2015, 06:29 PM
It was a Nissan frontier pickup truck, ice about half - three quarters up wheels, up past the diff and bumpers for sure. Happened from the pp boat launch out to the sand bar on long bay. Driver went through, and put her to the pin before the ice finally stopped him, cold. Excuse the pun. I heard a foot or more water on top of ice on waterhen.

RavYak
03-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Interesting, good thing we were driving super responsibly last weekend when we drove every where else on that lake... :thinking-006:

Tons of ice, almost needed an extension. The guy must have found a pretty bad spot.

Rage.0
03-26-2015, 04:02 PM
thanks for the ice updates, I will be out relatively close to where that truck went through, I guess people panic when they get into a little slush and drive too fast. Sounds like that is the case here. lol

Bigwoodsman
03-26-2015, 04:26 PM
It was a Nissan frontier pickup truck, ice about half - three quarters up wheels, up past the diff and bumpers for sure. Happened from the pp boat launch out to the sand bar on long bay. Driver went through, and put her to the pin before the ice finally stopped him, cold. Excuse the pun. I heard a foot or more water on top of ice on waterhen.

I was raised and schooled in Cold Lake.

Back in 1979 around this time of the year maybe early April, I decided to skip school after first period and go pickerel fishing out on long bay. I had a 1971 Chrysler Newyorker, big old boat and I headed out down the boat lunch where the PP is now, I don't think the PP was there yet but it was coming. I get out about 4 or 5 car lengths and down the Newyorker goes, the front bumper resting on this honeycombed ice. I jump out and the back goes down on the right. Cell phones didn't exist and there wern't any pay phones around, so I start the walk of shame back to town. A long the way there were a couple residences, but no one was home. I finally made it to town walking up the hill on 16 avenue. I'm not sure if it's still there but there used to be a little corner store across the street from St. Dominick's school, or thereabout. I think it was called Hankey's or something like that. Can't believe that was 36 years ago.

I use the phone to call my Dad at work and he isn't to pleased by the predicament I was in either. He finally shows up about an hour later in the power-wagon with the winch and we drive back down to the launch. Luckily nothing much had changed in my situation, went out with a chain and wrapped it around the axles on both sides of the rear diff and hooked up the winch. Dad had me get in and start the car put it in reverse and he started to winch me backwards, the front end dropped and my heart stopped for a second. pulled it back almost a car length and then it hung up, couple of good hard jerks with the power-wagon and it started moving again, come back on top of the ice and on to the shore.

Dad got out of his truck and we put the winch away, unhooked the chain and he asked how come I wasn't in school. I told him it was a nice day thought I'd go fishing instead. He looked at me winked and said you're right lets go, but we will walk out and so we did. I don't recall if we caught anything that day, but it is a day of fishing with Dad on Cold Lake that I will never forget. We had other days together on the lake as well but that day stands out the most.

Very minimal damage to the Chrysler those things were built like tanks!

BW

tight line
03-26-2015, 08:34 PM
I was raised and schooled in Cold Lake.

Back in 1979 around this time of the year maybe early April, I decided to skip school after first period and go pickerel fishing out on long bay. I had a 1971 Chrysler Newyorker, big old boat and I headed out down the boat lunch where the PP is now, I don't think the PP was there yet but it was coming. I get out about 4 or 5 car lengths and down the Newyorker goes, the front bumper resting on this honeycombed ice. I jump out and the back goes down on the right. Cell phones didn't exist and there wern't any pay phones around, so I start the walk of shame back to town. A long the way there were a couple residences, but no one was home. I finally made it to town walking up the hill on 16 avenue. I'm not sure if it's still there but there used to be a little corner store across the street from St. Dominick's school, or thereabout. I think it was called Hankey's or something like that. Can't believe that was 36 years ago.

I use the phone to call my Dad at work and he isn't to pleased by the predicament I was in either. He finally shows up about an hour later in the power-wagon with the winch and we drive back down to the launch. Luckily nothing much had changed in my situation, went out with a chain and wrapped it around the axles on both sides of the rear diff and hooked up the winch. Dad had me get in and start the car put it in reverse and he started to winch me backwards, the front end dropped and my heart stopped for a second. pulled it back almost a car length and then it hung up, couple of good hard jerks with the power-wagon and it started moving again, come back on top of the ice and on to the shore.

Dad got out of his truck and we put the winch away, unhooked the chain and he asked how come I wasn't in school. I told him it was a nice day thought I'd go fishing instead. He looked at me winked and said you're right lets go, but we will walk out and so we did. I don't recall if we caught anything that day, but it is a day of fishing with Dad on Cold Lake that I will never forget. We had other days together on the lake as well but that day stands out the most.

Very minimal damage to the Chrysler those things were built like tanks!

BW
Good story!! Those old cars are probably as heavy as a half ton..lol

splake0
03-28-2015, 04:50 PM
I doubt it. I was also out last weekend and there was no sign of bad ice.
Am going out Fri and do not have any worries about the more than 3 feet of ice.

I stand corrected:sign0176:

Kim473
03-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Good story!! Those old cars are probably as heavy as a half ton..lol

I would say heavier, made of steel, not plastic. Had a good frame too.

I once had a 1937 lafeitt which had a small dent in one fender. A 10 oz ball pin hammer would just bounce off it.

splake0
03-28-2015, 05:49 PM
here is a photo, Went in at long bay

the local angler
03-28-2015, 07:55 PM
at least it wasn't completely submerged and written off. looks nice and shallow there, truck looks like its still gonna be drivable.

splake0
03-28-2015, 08:39 PM
at least it wasn't completely submerged and written off. looks nice and shallow there, truck looks like its still gonna be drivable.

Seen it today on the ice. I know the owner. He said he got it out about 2 hours after it went in.

RavYak
03-28-2015, 08:48 PM
splae0, any idea why the ice was so thin over there? Strange when the rest of the lake you nearly need an extension on.

splake0
03-29-2015, 04:26 AM
splae0, any idea why the ice was so thin over there? Strange when the rest of the lake you nearly need an extension on.

No idea. I don't fish over there at all. :confused0024::confused0024::eek::eek:

pikehunter1989
03-29-2015, 07:14 AM

There is a bit of a current coming out of long bay through that channel where this sand bar is from what I've been hearing.

topgun
03-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Thats a big sandy hump where that went in. 20 feet either direction and it would have been a way different story. They did get a dandy pike out of that hole though and a near record perch. Lucky though. Damn lucky