PDA

View Full Version : Raven/ Stauffer

Sharpie
03-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if the raven/stauffer is ice free in most spots? If so is the water clean and fishable? Might head there next weekend.

mattpreat
03-26-2015, 12:57 PM
It should be pretty good, I was out there a week or two ago and it was a great day to be out and the river was wide open. Stauffer stays open throughout most of the year closer to the headwaters so you should be fine

Sharpie
03-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Ya we have always went early April and never had issues, even with way worse winters, we will be camping and id just hate to pack up and make the drive to be dissapionted.

mattpreat
03-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Looks like I'll be headed out there tomorrow, I just seen how warm its gonna be. Ill give a proper report on it tomorrow evening if you still would like it

Sharpie
03-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Ya that would be awesome

stoph
03-26-2015, 07:16 PM
I have never been this time of the year. Any thoughts on camp sites in the area?

Stoph

Don Andersen
03-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Field run off going on. Water high and off colour today. May last 1>2 weeks.

Don

mattpreat
03-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Got out today, blue winged olives were out and a few fish rising. I got out a bit late and never fished much but the guy I talked to said he caught a few on streamers

Moefoe
03-29-2015, 04:32 AM
Hit Stauffer on Friday, water colored, not mud but fish-able! Actually saw something pretty cool and only before saw previously years ago on the Owyhee south of the border. There was a hatch though not crazy and the dozen or so Browns that I saw in a Kilometer of river were glued to the inside of seams inches under the surface, quite active but never surfaced! I literally casted to 4 fish, swinging a Nymph in front of them, hooked and landed 2, 17'-18'! If I had a camera it would have been some nice footage...some of them were really nice fish just couldn't cast to them!!

damienelliott
03-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Heading out tomorrow let you guys know how I pan out never fished it but up for a challenge

Sharpie
03-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Keep the info coming please, gonna head out this weekend.

damienelliott
03-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Well was my first trip to stauuffer today. Wasn't sure what to use or where to go. I ended up just trying near hw54 where it crosses the river walked up stream a ways and fished for a couple hrs pitching a couple leech patterns olive and black as there was nothing rising with no luck. Tried a blue wing olive as they were coming off pretty steady but no fish rising. I just swung the fly where there "should" have been fish holding with also no luck. Tried a couple differnt minnow patterns with the same result so maybe I was in the wrong spot or not using the right flies. I was slowing stalking to the edge when I decided to try a spot then walk further back as to not spook anything. Water was a little murky and dark not sure if it was high as I haven't fished it befor. If this helps anyone your welcome now yo u know what not to use lol. If anyone can help me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks keep the feedback coming

Lornce
03-31-2015, 06:26 AM
Well was my first trip to stauuffer today. Wasn't sure what to use or where to go. I ended up just trying near hw54 where it crosses the river walked up stream a ways and fished for a couple hrs pitching a couple leech patterns olive and black as there was nothing rising with no luck. Tried a blue wing olive as they were coming off pretty steady but no fish rising. I just swung the fly where there "should" have been fish holding with also no luck. Tried a couple differnt minnow patterns with the same result so maybe I was in the wrong spot or not using the right flies. I was slowing stalking to the edge when I decided to try a spot then walk further back as to not spook anything. Water was a little murky and dark not sure if it was high as I haven't fished it befor. If this helps anyone your welcome now yo u know what not to use lol. If anyone can help me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks keep the feedback coming

Fishing streams is a very intimate thing, you need to get to know the stream over time, it changes with the seasons, use your eyes more than your fly rod. Check the insect life in the water, keep a very low profile. this is one of those streams that has broken many a fisherman.

Sharpie
03-31-2015, 10:57 AM
When they are not feeding up top, i switch to casting. Mostly flat fish, then panther's and mepps. Have had amazing luck with flat fish when they are not hitting flys. Also have drop shotted plastic worms and leeches with a little success.