PDA

View Full Version : Smelts

Renslip
12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Just wondering how you guys get your smelts to sink?

mulecrazy
12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
add weight:wave:

Jester
12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Poke the air sack with a hook...they will sink slowly.

CoyoteChallenger
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
a couple of split shot weights.

Fish Cannon
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I give them a stern "talking to" :scared:, just kidding, they are dead and don't listen very good. I just add a couple of split-shot to the line.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
12-30-2008, 11:10 PM
put your hook threw the swim bladder , as well as use a couple split shot weights.

packhuntr
12-31-2008, 03:35 AM
Just use your finger and tear the belly open. No sence being bashful, and it doesnt matter if some guts hang. Dont want your bait doing goofy stuff, especially if your tip ups jig at all. If they sink hard and fast, they will flash light better if they sink fast. I use alot of herring, great whitefish immitation type bait, and i have found that i have to mash the eggs out of the females, or the bait wont sink. The males dont seem to give me as much greif. In the end, doesnt matter what kind of smelt, i tear them open, rig them, set it in the hole and swish it around to get the air out completely. I also use a bell sinker above my smelt at the top of the leader attached with a split ring to add weight. Much easier to get to bottom quick, and strip the bait up into position fast. Rigged fast, and moving on,,, or relaxin, one of the two!

dodger
12-31-2008, 04:13 AM
I always poke a hole in the belly and give it a light squeeze to get the air out. If you just use a weight then they float around upside down above your weight and you end up jigging your weight and not the Smelt.
Dodger.

Renslip
12-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all the help!!:)