PDA

View Full Version : Fish finders ??

Xbolt7mm
03-26-2015, 08:20 PM
I've been looking all over and searching this and that but the one thing I can't find is software that is good for lake maps in Canada, most all of them have lakes for the usa and the Great Lakes, that's it. Does anyone know of a fishfinder manufacturer that utilizes a ,north of the border, mapping software. Or even a aftermarket manufacturer that is accommodated by either lowrance or hummingbird.

benamen
03-26-2015, 08:48 PM
I am using a Humminbird 900 series fish finder and record my trips out. Come back and import into Autochart to make my own map. Autochart gives you the outline of a lot of lakes in Canada.
Look up Navionics Hotmaps to see if they have sounding maps of the lakes you fish and then find the fish finder they work with.

huntsfurfish
03-26-2015, 08:55 PM
I've been looking all over and searching this and that but the one thing I can't find is software that is good for lake maps in Canada, most all of them have lakes for the usa and the Great Lakes, that's it. Does anyone know of a fishfinder manufacturer that utilizes a ,north of the border, mapping software. Or even a aftermarket manufacturer that is accommodated by either lowrance or hummingbird.

So far the best is Navionics. Unless you have a mapping program. Both Lowrance and Humminbird offer a mapping programs. Humminbird you make your own and Lowrance does it for you. I intend to run both this year.

Lowrance also offers a free community version. Check both out before you buy and see which suits you.

EZM
03-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Navionics is the only product right now that has general bathymetry maps of lakes out here in the West. That really is your only good choice. This map will work in all card/gps capable units.

Xbolt7mm
03-27-2015, 02:31 PM
Navionics is the only product right now that has general bathymetry maps of lakes out here in the West. That really is your only good choice. This map will work in all card/gps capable units.

Thx I bought a Lowrance Elite 7 hdi fishfinder/charter from bass pro over the phone today. I'm in Phoenix right now and cabelas has them on sale for 50 but more than bass pro in Calgary before exchange and taxes. I'll get the mapping later.

benamen
03-27-2015, 03:10 PM
$50 seems a little cheap. Maybe $500?

curtis_rak
03-27-2015, 03:46 PM
I looked really closely at the Garmin Echomap series at the boat show and I was really impressed with alberta lake coverage. I specifically looked at lac ste Anne and wabamun and the bathymetric maps looked great

After seeing them I am seriously considering a Garmin unit

Xbolt7mm
03-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Thx I bought a Lowrance Elite 7 hdi fishfinder/charter from bass pro over the phone today. I'm in Phoenix right now and cabelas has them on sale for 50 but more than bass pro in Calgary before exchange and taxes. I'll get the mapping later.

50 more than bass pro

benamen
03-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Have fun with the unit this summer. if nothing else, keep recordings of your outings so that you have the data to work with down the road. I record even when on plane when crossing the lake (and when pulling tubes). Amazing to review and find a hump and sometimes fish. You can delete any data that you don/t think is correct. I normally try to keep my files to 30 minutes and then start a new recording.