PDA

View Full Version : Red Wolf minnow trap...????

Bushmaster
03-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Buddy of mine just bought one from Canadian Tire in Wainwright. No instructions, no nuthin.
Any one know how it works.

I've tried google but to no avail. He says it is rectangular, has a float on top and a spring loaded door on the bottom, but no minnow is gonna push the spring ??

Hydro1
03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
There are multiple baits that can be used and the trap can be secured by attaching a rope to the trap and securing the other end to a stationary and secure object on the shore. Suspend the trap so it hangs freely without touching the mud and silt on the bottom. Mud and silt contaminates bait, and the minnows will not be interested. Position the opening of the minnow trap in line with the current flow. Minnows turn their bodies sideways when swimming against the current and will get stuck in the trap when they go after the bait

I copied that from online.

Bushmaster
03-27-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Hydro. Got the link? I haven't seen this thing so can't get my mind wrapped around it. He doesn't know what is supposed to hold the trap open......can't believe there are no instructions.

Hydro1
03-27-2015, 04:28 PM
I just realized that this isnt a redwolf brand... Sorry.

http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0784214P/no-minnow-trap-questions-answers/questions.htm

This is the only red wolf thing i can find...

http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/red-wolf-floating-fish-basket-0784081p.html

Bushmaster
03-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Yeah, that has the funnels...that I get. He says his is meant to float upright, with the spring-loaded trap door on the bottom.

huntsfurfish
03-27-2015, 04:40 PM
You might want to mention to your buddy to check the regs. Must be tagged with his name, address and licence number and fixed to the trap.

Plus it doesnt hurt to read up on it - trap size etc.

Bushmaster
03-27-2015, 04:44 PM
He knows about the tagging.

linger
03-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Make sure you use a wire or small chain to anchor it had one set in my dads pond and used twine and bloody muskrat chewed it off. hahaha

WayneChristie
03-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Buddy of mine just bought one from Canadian Tire in Wainwright. No instructions, no nuthin.
Any one know how it works.

I've tried google but to no avail. He says it is rectangular, has a float on top and a spring loaded door on the bottom, but no minnow is gonna push the spring ??

sounds like the same deal as the fish basket just a different shape. C Tire would never misslabel a product!! :bad_boys_20:
and dry catfood in a ziplock bag with a few holes poked in it works great for bait and the bag keeps them from floating away