PDA

View Full Version : Minnow traps

Wild&Free
03-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Haven't seen a thread on this topic on here so figured I'd get one started since I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. Would save on cooler space for my fly in trip in June and just an interesting thing to do to see what other little fishes swim in my favorite haunts to better select presentations.

I'd like a collapsible one hopefully I can find one not made with fabric netting for this as those just get torn apart. The torpedo design is most common and by most accounts the most efficient. I have a few months before I'll be able to hit the water again, so good time for prep work.

For those of you who do trap your own bait, share some wisdom please. Bait, locations to look for setting up, methods of euthanization(specifically anything not related to just freezing them), storage, curing methods and anything else you can think of.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

pinelakeperch
03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
I'm excited to hear some replies. I bought a trap last summer and didn't have a lot of success. It didn't help that my rope snapped and sent the trap to an early death.

MountainMan95
03-29-2015, 02:27 PM
I've trapped for Minnows back home in Manitoba before. The location you trap will dictate the species of baitfish you catch. Small slow flowing creeks will get you Dace and Stickleback. Small Creeks with a little more flow will get you Logperch. The area you fish such as how far from main water body will also make a difference. Best results are in locations where not even a Pike could wriggle up but big enough for minnow to find a home.

For traps a mesh one can be folded for easy storage and isn't as visible to curious people who might want a souvenir and the bait you've already caught. Metal ones are however much more rigid and can be used in faster water without being washed away becouse of their weight.

ghostguy6
03-29-2015, 09:38 PM
I filled up an entire 5 gallon pail in an hour from a local pond a few years ago. I have a black metal trap that is basically two mesh buckets that lock together so its pretty easy to transport. For euthanization, I just dump them into a pail with saturated with salt water and BioDip if desired. The salt also helps keep them firm. Make sure your minnows are all dead before leaving or you could get a fine for possessing live bait fish. Also you are required to have your traps tagged with your name, address and license number. Ive had F&W check my traps a few times so make sure you know the regs about the traps.

Collecting Bait Fish

Catching bait fish (such as suckers) by angling, bowfishing or spearfishing is allowed from all waters open to fishing with these methods, even at waters where the collection of bait fish by other means is prohibited. Anglers may collect their own bait fish by minnow trap, dip net and seine net, but these fish must not be sold. The commercial collection of bait fish requires a Commercial Bait Fishing Licence. The following regulations apply to the collection of bait fish for personal use as bait:

The collection of bait fish is not permitted in waters having a bait ban or restriction on the use of bait fish, and in some other specified waters (see each Fish Management Zone for regulations).
The possession of live bait fish is prohibited. All bait fish kept must be killed immediately. Please do not kill more than needed because bait fish are important food for many sport fish.
Fish other than bait fish must be immediately released unharmed. Game fish such as perch must not be kept.
Seine nets may not be larger than 3 m in length and 2 m in depth.
Minnow traps may not have dimensions greater than 60 cm in length by 30 cm in width, depth or diameter.
No more than 2 minnow traps may be used at one time.
Minnow traps must bear the operator’s name, address and Sportfishing Licence number.
Crayfish cannot be used as bait. It is unlawful to possess live crayfish.

Your best bet is to walk the edges of creeks or ponds and watch for the minnows your looking to trap. The edges of weed beds are a good place to start. Under a dock can also be a good place on larger lakes. The depth the trap should be at can change hourly so you will really have to look for the school before dropping the trap.

If your up for it I'd be willing to show you a spot on the south side and I can show you how to set up your trap.

fish99
03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
I filled up an entire 5 gallon pail in an hour from a local pond a few years ago. I have a black metal trap that is basically two mesh buckets that lock together so its pretty easy to transport. For euthanization, I just dump them into a pail with saturated with salt water and BioDip if desired. The salt also helps keep them firm. Make sure your minnows are all dead before leaving or you could get a fine for possessing live bait fish. Also you are required to have your traps tagged with your name, address and license number. Ive had F&W check my traps a few times so make sure you know the regs about the traps.

Your best bet is to walk the edges of creeks or ponds and watch for the minnows your looking to trap. The edges of weed beds are a good place to start. Under a dock can also be a good place on larger lakes. The depth the trap should be at can change hourly so you will really have to look for the school before dropping the trap.

If your up for it I'd be willing to show you a spot on the south side and I can show you how to set up your trap.

do you use bait in the trap? if so what type of bait to use.

Sharpie
03-31-2015, 11:27 AM
Water or pop bottle filled with dog food and poke holes for the sent to escape. The bottle holds it from disolving out of the trap fast. Also dirt with some worms in the bottle works. We catch big suckers out of creeks. Best when the water level is low. We have good luck in shallow fast moving water and in deeper holes under bridges etc.

fish99
04-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Water or pop bottle filled with dog food and poke holes for the sent to escape. The bottle holds it from disolving out of the trap fast. Also dirt with some worms in the bottle works. We catch big suckers out of creeks. Best when the water level is low. We have good luck in shallow fast moving water and in deeper holes under bridges etc.

used a piece of bread yesterday in the trap and after a couple of hours me and the grand daughter had lots of stickle backs in the trap. ready for walleye fishing.