PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor Installation

sherwick
03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
I have two questions to ask the group;

1- Is there a person in or around Lloydminster who installs the batteries and wiring? the motor is already mounted.

2- The boat has a 190 merc cruiser, can a person install a diode or charger so the boat motor (alternator) will charge the trolling motor? if so please give detailed information.

Thanks for the help

cube
03-30-2015, 01:37 PM

1- Is there a person in or around Lloydminster who installs the batteries and wiring? the motor is already mounted.

2- The boat has a 190 merc cruiser, can a person install a diode or charger so the boat motor (alternator) will charge the trolling motor? if so please give detailed information.

Thanks for the help

Is your trolling motor 12 volt, 24 volt or 36 volt?

benamen
03-30-2015, 01:40 PM
When I purchased my outfit a few years ago, found out few dealers wanted to do the electrical due to problems that they had to cover down the road. So I had to do my own.
You can install a battery isolator between the two batteries which I used on a 60HP fishing boat. Never had a problem in the 20 years I owned the boat.
Or you can get a bit more elaborate with the following BEP Marine product

Battery Distribution Cluster for Single Engine with Two Battery Banks
Part # 714-140A-DVSR

Both products will include installation instructions.

I went with something more elaborate on my current unit so I would be able to turn a switch and use my second battery if my starting battery ever died on me. Used a bunch of welding cable to connect the two batterries so I could do that.

cube
03-30-2015, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the help

If your trolling motor is 12 volt it's quite simple. If you have a 24 or 36 volt system I would probably go with one of the minn kota onboard DC chargers

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Battery-Chargers/On-Board-Chargers/DC-Alternator-Chargers/

You do have to take a look at your run times though to see if they would be worth while. Ie it will take 4-6 hours to charge your batteries if you are using your electric motor a fair bit during the day. I usually only use my main motor for a few minutes to get to a spot them shut it down so in an entire day on most of the lakes around here my big motor only runs 45 min. When I looked at this it did not make sense because I would still have to bring the generator along to plug into at night or plug it in to AC at the campsite. if avialable(AC on board chargers), for many hours a day. Hence I use my gas kicker allot instead.

Good luck to you

huntsfurfish
03-30-2015, 02:39 PM
You could try taking to marine dealer. Many will do the install. And if they wont, will probably be able to give some advice. You can also do it your self. It is best to have/use battery(s) dedicated to trolling motor only. 6-8 gauge wire(6 preferred), 40 to 60 amp breaker(depends on TM) mounted close to battery. Battery tray(s) fixed down. 27 to 31 series batteries. If further help needed ask lots here to help.

benamen
03-30-2015, 03:10 PM
I need a new deep cycle battery for my trolling motor. Will be picking the biggest one available at Walmart. Their batteries seem to last as long as any I have tried. Better than CDNTire.

EZM
03-30-2015, 03:33 PM
We need to understand your voltage requirement and the alternator output from your gas motor. If we start there, I can tell you what you options you have.

Keep in mind your main engine ( generating and charging your 12v cranking battery) will charge your cranking battery, and run your accessories like fish finders, horn, blower, bilge pump, navigation lights etc...

You will likely want to run your trolling motor on a dedicated circuit and go to 24v if it's a mid to larger sized boat anyways. Secondary alternator charging presents a number of problems and, quite honestly, gives you generally the equivalent extended battery life equal to that, of ONLY, the amount of time your main battery is charged beyond 14.4v.

In other words - if your cranking battery is full (at 14.4v) on a 12v cell - and you run your main engine for 45 minutes, and it is capable of producing more AMPs, AND your secondary is capable of receiving the full charge - you will get about 45 minutes of extra life at BEST. (again, this is pretty general and broad) but long story short - alternator charging your electric trolling isn't as great as you would expect it to be. Plugging it in is far better.

If you set it up improperly - you will run down your electric trolling motor battery AND your main cranking battery will draw down leaving you stranded (unable to crank the engine once you fall below a certain voltage/amp). So make sure you know what you are doing (or whomever you get to do it knows that).

dodger
03-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Go to iboats.com and then to the electrical forum. They have posted diagrams and 1000's of threads regarding battery wiring.

Dodger.

borchy
03-30-2015, 08:39 PM
I run two separate batteries for my 24 volt system and 1 for 12 and installed an on board marine charger have never come close to running them dead yet

TJG
03-31-2015, 11:28 AM
As mentioned, any boat dealer will install this and electronics if neded.
Also Pokey's in Regina offers one day service if needed.

sherwick
04-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the advice.