PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for someone who is going Lake Trout Fishing for the first time in the NWT?

TheRatRiverTrapper
03-31-2015, 01:00 AM
I'm an experienced fisherman although I've never fished for Lake Trout. Heading up to the Northwest Territories for some early spring Lake Trout action as soon as the ice is off. We will be trolling from a canoe and casting. Any tips on lures? Methods? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

GuideLife
03-31-2015, 08:06 AM
Depending on what lake/ where you are fishing, you should be able to catch them pretty shallow. Most spoons will work for trolling. Try casting white tubes near structure. Anything blue, chartreuse, white, and red all work well early season. Don't forget to pinch your barbs and wear a dry suit ! haha

mongo
03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
No 2 len's five of diamonds is out go to as well as large Williams wabler blue silver in the largest spoon for those sunny days.

TheRatRiverTrapper
03-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Cool thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to take along a five of diamonds and williams wobler.

TheRatRiverTrapper
03-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Depending on what lake/ where you are fishing, you should be able to catch them pretty shallow. Most spoons will work for trolling. Try casting white tubes near structure. Anything blue, chartreuse, white, and red all work well early season. Don't forget to pinch your barbs and wear a dry suit ! haha

Sorry I'm not familiar with what "white tubes" are. Could you elaborate?

Wild&Free
03-31-2015, 09:21 AM
Sorry I'm not familiar with what "white tubes" are. Could you elaborate?

Tube Jigs, 3"+ in size white in color.

work on the arm strength and endurance.

don't forget pictures either.

EZM
03-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Lakers can get very big up in the NWT - leave your medium/light rod at home.

A heavy action rod with a level wind reel spooled with minimum 40 lb braid.

Tfng
03-31-2015, 11:03 AM
Gibbs canoe spoons, Williams whitefish, X60 flatfish. Think big lures.

Outcast 1100
03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Williams whitefish with a white rubber jig attached to the hook. seen in on a tv show. worked for them while in the NWT.

wwbirds
03-31-2015, 11:56 AM
We were fishing lakers in D'Stephane lake after tagging out on caribou.
threw everything at them in tackle box and caught on everything including musky lures (faux muskrat).
they are hungry and food selection is not always an option. body and head size looked out of proportion on some and guide explained it was shortage of food. We were not allowed to keep any as the fish to grow to that size (trophy) were very old and they were apparently not very tasty. We caught 10-12 pound fish with tooth marks in them and bites out of them.
We said we wanted to catch the fish that tried to eat a 10-15 pound laker.

67Elmo
03-31-2015, 03:04 PM
I've been up to the territories fishing for lake trout several times. At ice out, you can almost pretend you are trolling for pike. Williams warblers and yellow 5 of diamonds worked great. But few of the big lakers are in the shallows, if that is what you are after, in spring. The big ones, 25 lb plus, are still in deeper water. We did vertical jigging with white tube jigs down to about 60 or 70 ft. and caught some up to 40 lbs. The only time the big lakers come into shallow water as a general rule is during spawning time in the fall, and then usually only at night. But you should catch lots of smaller ones to 10 lbs or so in the shallows at ice out.

TheRatRiverTrapper
03-31-2015, 04:47 PM

Yeah lots of people have been recommending either the Williams wobler or whitefish. Thanks for the tips.

TheRatRiverTrapper
03-31-2015, 04:52 PM
I've been up to the territories fishing for lake trout several times. At ice out, you can almost pretend you are trolling for pike. Williams warblers and yellow 5 of diamonds worked great. But few of the big lakers are in the shallows, if that is what you are after, in spring. The big ones, 25 lb plus, are still in deeper water. We did vertical jigging with white tube jigs down to about 60 or 70 ft. and caught some up to 40 lbs. The only time the big lakers come into shallow water as a general rule is during spawning time in the fall, and then usually only at night. But you should catch lots of smaller ones to 10 lbs or so in the shallows at ice out.

Good to know. I didn't know the bigger ones stay deeper during the spring. I'll try going a bit deeper for the bigger ones. Thanks for the tips.

Tfng
03-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Good to know. I didn't know the bigger ones stay deeper during the spring. I'll try going a bit deeper for the bigger ones. Thanks for the tips.

Some bondy baits might be good for jigging. Big buzz bombs are nice if it gets windy.

GuideLife
04-01-2015, 08:18 AM
I think you'd be surprised how many big lakers you can catch in the shallows....

Mussel
04-01-2015, 08:19 AM
I am not an angler so I can not advise on technique. I do know the lake and would recommend that you put in at Dawson Landing or Little Buffalo River. Great lake trout fishing along the shore here. If you are a little adventuress try some lighter gear and fish for inconnu. These are a very large fish that fight hard but they have a delicate mouth and can be hard to land (so I am told). They eat small fish and are actively feeding in the shallows as the ice melts. I have also caught Gold eye weighing over two pounds along this shoreline.

58thecat
04-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Cool thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to take along a five of diamonds and williams wobler.

Variety of spoons and deet just I case the bugs get out if the weather heats up.

Sigmet
04-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Lots of bug spray.

CK Angler
04-01-2015, 06:47 PM
When they bite, Hold on tight, don't flip the canoe.

CK Angler
04-01-2015, 06:49 PM
I think you'd be surprised how many big lakers you can catch in the shallows....

x2

mike780
04-01-2015, 06:55 PM
i have had very good luck trolling large buck tails on top in lakes in BC.
friend of mine have fished NWT for lakers and all they used was silver and gold william woblers.

Habfan
04-01-2015, 07:08 PM

Yes !!!:sHa_shakeshout: if you want to fish a little deeper than 20/25 ft. just add a Dipsey Diver or run a three way swivel. If you fish too shallow the fish will scatter when they see the boat, so I found the best way was to cast to shores of islands from a distance !! Best is troll outside edge of drop off and take turns casting toward shore !! Have fun!

Boomko
04-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Pick up a few Planner Boards ...

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/Cabela.board_zps6mk95tzi.jpg

A typical Lake Trout tackle box

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/Tacklebox_zps8b1mcwmw.jpg

Find a few T60 Flatfish (6 inches) in blue ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/T60_zpshcsep8t8.jpg

And you'll get you a few of these ....

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/IM004426_zpsxjv1ckbf.jpg

Moefoe
04-01-2015, 07:18 PM
The biggest Chartreuse Flatfish you can find...depending on how deep the fish are add weight accordingly. I don't know what they think it is but they can't leave it alone, especially the big guys!!

TheRatRiverTrapper
04-04-2015, 11:14 AM
When they bite, Hold on tight, don't flip the canoe.

I've already thought about this. The only thing worse than flipping a canoe is flipping a canoe in early spring in the NWT! That water will be F'n cold!

Commander B
04-05-2015, 01:12 AM
Due to the canoe conciderations I would stick to T55 quick fish. T60 is to much to hang on to. I fully agree with flourecent with dots or the blue. A wide eratic flutter like an FST spoon 3" in same colours with an inline weight are also very effective. Both will have good action with canoe speed. Black and white, " cop car" can be good colors.

B.

Forgot to mention swim wizz. Will also go well with a canoe and casting.

rafhone
04-06-2015, 11:47 PM
tip your spoons with minnow chunks or worms. i prefer worms.

Bjay
04-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Boomko has it down pat. T50-55-60 coho flatfish will kill them. For the smaller lakers I used U20 orange with red spots flat fish. Using 30 pound lead core line out 220 feet I would be down approx. 35 ft. on a very slow troll. With the big flatfish you could feel the flatfish scrapping the bottom of the lake but the action is so violant I never got hung up. I think the lip of the flatfish would hit the bottom and tip up so the hooks never got hung up. Caught an enormous number of large fish this way. For the big flatfish you need rod holders or you will be worn out at the end of the day holding the rod in your hand. For a canoe I would use U 20 flat fish or spoons.
Bjay