PDA

View Full Version : Newbie at the boat launch.

Wes_G
03-31-2015, 11:16 PM
Just bought my first boat. I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge and tips about launching. I don't want to be the dummy at the launch that has no idea what he is doing, getting in the way and taking up valuable fishing time of the people that do. Any tips to help me unload/load as quick and efficiently as possible would be great!

Mackinaw
03-31-2015, 11:22 PM
Just bought my first boat. I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge and tips about launching. I don't want to be the dummie at the launch that has no idea what he is doing and getting in the way and taking up valuable fishing time of the people that do. So any tips would be great!!

Have your boat untarped and ready to launch before you are on the ramp and practice backing down the ramp before the season starts. Have a good season enjoy the boat.

Mack

bobalong
03-31-2015, 11:36 PM
Just bought my first boat. I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge and tips about launching. I don't want to be the dummie at the launch that has no idea what he is doing and getting in the way and taking up valuable fishing time of the people that do. So any tips would be great!!

First and foremost get your boat all rigged and ready before you back onto the launch, remove tarp and put all rods, tackle boxes, lunch etc.in the boat and remove back tie downs before you pull into the launch. Keep the strap and safety chain on the front until your boat is in the water. Stop when the front strap and chain winch are just at the edge of the water, then have partner, or if by yourself get out and remove the strap and chain before backing right in. Some people unplug their lights before backing in.

The same when loading, load the boat, put on the front strap and chain and pull out of the launch. You can remove gear and put tarp on, in the same area you parked your trailer when you unloaded.

If you have not backed up a trailer before this will take practice. You can practice anywhere, in your driveway, mall parking lot.....where ever. If you are not used to backing up a trailer, it is much easier to have boat and truck in line with the launch and just back straight up. This is not always possible, especially your driveway, so you will have to learn to back on a sharp angle as well. If you can't back up with mirrors, learn.

Enjoy the new boat, it wont be long now.:sHa_shakeshout:

Norman
03-31-2015, 11:48 PM
Make sure your plug is in the boat as well :sHa_shakeshout: , you definitely don't want to be that guy. Practice backing it up and like has already been said have everything packed up and ready to go when you launch

Jamie
04-01-2015, 12:07 AM
Don't go when its busy.. The last thing you need is a bunch of guys standing around putting the pressure on.

Good luck
Jamie

Lambo
04-01-2015, 12:28 AM
If the launch is wide enough for 2 boats, keep to one side so another boat can be launched too.

Bigdad013
04-01-2015, 04:56 AM
If your by yourself, make sure you have a rope attached at the front, so when you push it out, you can pull the boat to shore or the dock. Believe it or not, seen a couple of guys push there boat off and watch it float away, leaving the boat ramp at a standstill as they try to figure out how to retrieve it.
And don't be to proud not to ask someone standing around to be a second set of eyes as your backing down.
Check the condition of the boat ramp before launching to make sure there are no hidden surprises under the water, like, drop offs or large rocks etc.

Kim473
04-01-2015, 05:23 AM
If you will need to get in the water to load / un-load, hip waiters are a good idea at times. Have them on before hand. Two people make the job much easier and faster.

JohninAB
04-01-2015, 06:23 AM
All good points mentioned so far. I have bunks on my trailer so before backing down I tie a 25 foot rope or so to the boat and also to the trailer. Back in till boat floats off. Pull forward a bit and stop. Untie rope from trailer and pull boat to dock or shore. Go and park truck. Done in mere seconds.

Kokanee9
04-01-2015, 06:51 AM
It wouldn't hurt if you offered to help some people launch theirs or help them load the trailer at the end of the day. While your doing that, pay attention to what they want done, how they do it, and the order that its done in.
You can gain the experience of launching/loading several times by helping someone else out. If you offer help and they decline, just mention that your trying to learn the best ways of doing it, and I'm sure they will let you help and probably go a step further and explain the how and why's of launching/loading to you.

jpohlic
04-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Take your phone out of your pocket before wading around the back of the boat to undo the transom straps that you forgot to undo before you tried to launch the boat.

Jperepeletza
04-01-2015, 07:05 AM
i wouldn't worry to much my first time taking a boat out I did it myself when I came to load a bunch of other boats came in and some guys gave me a hand loading up so we all got out of there before the rain

Stinky Buffalo
04-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Take your phone out of your pocket before wading around the back of the boat to undo the transom straps that you forgot to undo before you tried to launch the boat.

That brings back memories! Soaked a brand-new phone doing that exact thing many years ago! :eek:

EZM
04-01-2015, 07:35 AM
If you have an older boat and engine reliability is any question, have the paddles and mooring ropes ready to go.

Efficient launching is all about being ready to actually launch your boat when it's your turn. Have it ready, plug in, straps off, bow yoke chain/strap prepared as you require it etc...

Practice will make you more proficient, and you will learn where the sweet spot is on your boat/trailer in terms of how far to back it in ..... pick a spot to look at - fender on trailer, load guide, etc.... and take a note if the boat was too shallow or too deep and adjust.

Jigapoolza
04-01-2015, 08:05 AM
When your backing down the ramp go slow! Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel , if you want the trailer to turn left move your hand to the left , if you want it to go to the right move your hand to the right .

58thecat
04-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Just bought my first boat. I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge and tips about launching. I don't want to be the dummy at the launch that has no idea what he is doing, getting in the way and taking up valuable fishing time of the people that do. Any tips to help me unload/load as quick and efficiently as possible would be great!

Go to a parking lot or open field and get really efficient at backing up your boat trailer. Make sure your boat and all associated equipment is 100 percent operational prior to heading out, the boat launch is not a service station. Load all your equipment into the boat prior to launching your boat, the boat launch is not where you do this. Understand that in bad weather or suspect weather conditions boats coming off the lake have priority and when things get chaotic help others out don't just stand there with that impatient attitude. Enjoy the new toy.:):)

SCHOOCH
04-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Had a guy in your exact situation ask for my help last year when i was just setting up my boat. I was way more impressed that he admitted he had no idea and explained everything to him then watched as he launched his 1st time like a pro......anyone with a boat there would for sure go out of their way to help a new boater.

waterninja
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM
What an interesting comment from 58thecat about boats comming in having priority in bad weather over those going out. It makes sense, but I don't ever remember seeing that being mentioned in any study guide when getting boat license. Boat comming in still has to park and have someone get out to go get truck/trailer to launch area. Hopefully common sense and courtesy prevails.

VanIsleGuy
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
What an interesting comment from 58thecat about boats comming in having priority in bad weather over those going out. It makes sense, but I don't ever remember seeing that being mentioned in any study guide when getting boat license. Boat comming in still has to park and have someone get out to go get truck/trailer to launch area. Hopefully common sense and courtesy prevails.

If the lake is nasty I wouldn't be launching my boat anyways, but if I was, I would let people get off the lake if their empty trailer is already in the lineup. By the time someone goes and gets their truck I would have my boat in the water already. :)

TROLLER
04-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Too make loading a lot easier on you , open the tailgate of your truck or suv, you can then see your trailer and have no issue backing it up.

Do not be afraid to ask someone for help. We all started wondering how to back that thing up, leaning out the door looking ect. Just do not start at a place like Miniwonka where they have the boat launch from hell.

huntsfurfish
04-01-2015, 10:20 AM
And dont rush, you will make mistakes. We all were newbies at one time.

If you feel you are taking to long or are having trouble, ask someone to help.

Have fun with the boat Wes! I will watch for you on the launch and water and come say hi, an see how you r doin.

nast70
04-01-2015, 11:06 AM
I highly recommend having two people launch and load your boat. One backs up the vehicle the second is in the boat.
My wife is the driver, I am the captain. It takes practice but when it works its art.
Like someone mentioned watch and learn.

ORV
04-01-2015, 11:23 AM

lmao. not a newbie launching but did forget the transom straps once.
it was a thought you did it moment.
now I do the check myself.
lots of good info on here. practice if you can when it is not busy.
less pressure till you get used to it.

orv.

Jamie Black R/T
04-01-2015, 11:28 AM
And dont rush, you will make mistakes. We all were newbies at one time.

If you feel you are taking to long or are having trouble, ask someone to help.

This is a great point. Its easy to get flustered when you know you are holding people up and your brain will tell you they are getting more upset as the seconds tick by.

The reality of it is MOST of the guys you will meet at the launch are easy going and already been through what you currently are. More than willing to lend a hand and give advise if you need.

Brandonkop
04-01-2015, 11:39 AM
You could make a check list or just make mistakes like me. Once you forget the plug a few times, forget the transom straps, unhook the safety chain prematurely, forget the keys, forget to hook the battery up... and some other miscellaneous things then you will have graduated from newbie. Backing up trailers is pretty easy. Just use your mirrors and go slow, don't over correct. That is most newbies mistake they don't respond quick enough to a jack knife trailer. So here is what you do. Don't try to resurrect your mistakes. Pull forward until the trailer and truck are straight then start again. Much easier than continuing to snake down the ramp if you get a poor start. Good luck and have fun. Remember stress is your biggest enemy on the boat launch so get some practice first.

astepanuk
04-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Great points here so far. With my boat keep in my it’s not a fishing boat but a wakeboard boat either way it’s still a bow Installed a great little invention called the boat buddy it’s a spring loaded bow top that locks the U bolt so I can drive away. I have my wife trained I text when I'm ready for a pickup she backs the trail down the ramp load listen for the Click and drive away no straps. If I’m going to take it farther then my cabin ill clear the ramp and install the appropriate straps.http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/remingtoncountry19/KBB2_4_1000_zpsnrjvozxm.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/remingtoncountry19/2009_06180038_zpstnjp8twk.jpg
I took these pics of the net this isnt my boat.

NEWB
04-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Create a checklist so you don't miss anything under pressure. Don't forget to trim engine up before pulling out. Examine ramp carefully as suggested (also look for gaps between the ramp blocks that could snag a tire, or a ramp that ends short due to low water level).

Take spare footwear in case you get wet (I find I can launch / load with just rubber boots without getting wet).

See if someone from the forum will accompany you the first time, or
see if you can tag along when they launch their boat.

And as others have mentioned, get everything setup / ready in the tie-down area.

Where are you located?

Agreed.

OP,

Go to an empty parking lot and practice backing up. Dirving forward no problem. Backing up.. different story first time.

Go to princesss auto and pick up a light that will plug into ta 7 pin connetor. It helps when backing up your trailer in the dark to load the boat.

If you are backing up in a truck and you have a low trailer with no boat.. drop the tail gate for better visability... Seems pretty obvious however I figured that out after a while and frustration! :)

kevinhits
04-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Too make loading a lot easier on you , open the tailgate of your truck or suv, you can then see your trailer and have no issue backing it up.

Do not be afraid to ask someone for help. We all started wondering how to back that thing up, leaning out the door looking ect. Just do not start at a place like Miniwonka where they have the boat launch from hell.

Great idea Troller....Never thought of opening the back hatch to back up:sHa_shakeshout:

It's amazing what I learn on here everyday:)

kevinhits
04-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Great points here so far. With my boat keep in my it’s not a fishing boat but a wakeboard boat either way it’s still a bow Installed a great little invention called the boat buddy it’s a spring loaded bow top that locks the U bolt so I can drive away. I have my wife trained I text when I'm ready for a pickup she backs the trail down the ramp load listen for the Click and drive away no straps. If I’m going to take it farther then my cabin ill clear the ramp and install the appropriate straps.http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/remingtoncountry19/KBB2_4_1000_zpsnrjvozxm.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/remingtoncountry19/2009_06180038_zpstnjp8twk.jpg
I took these pics of the net this isnt my boat.

That's a cool gadget....:)

58thecat
04-01-2015, 01:21 PM

Seen a few mishaps where and I do not know why boats were trying to go out and the dock was backed up with boats trying to get in. I got mine out and put a stop to this attempting to get out as we were in four foot waves boats banging off trailers etc. two of us stood in waist deep water helping steady boats on trailers as people got their boats out safely with little to no damage. What blew me away was the two guys who wanted to launch stood around rather p offed but we all out safely, shook hands and moved on. To this day I still don't know what those fellas were thinking. I guess I am also telling the OP to get ready for some unexpected situations to witness at the boat launch.

The Copenhagen Kid
04-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Be careful putting the tailgate down if spare tire is mounted on front of trailer. Turn to sharp and that tailgate crinkles pretty quickly! :)

NEWB
04-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Seen a few mishaps where and I do not know why boats were trying to go out and the dock was backed up with boats trying to get in. I got mine out and put a stop to this attempting to get out as we were in four foot waves boats banging off trailers etc. two of us stood in waist deep water helping steady boats on trailers as people got their boats out safely with little to no damage. What blew me away was the two guys who wanted to launch stood around rather p offed but we all out safely, shook hands and moved on. To this day I still don't know what those fellas were thinking. I guess I am also telling the OP to get ready for some unexpected situations to witness at the boat launch.

Quote your source and the law stating watercraft in "bad" weather docking or loading have priority over those launching.

I look forward to you backing up this claim.

NEWB
04-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Be careful putting the tailgate down if spare tire is mounted on front of trailer. Turn to sharp and that tailgate crinkles pretty quickly! :)

Fair enough!

Mine was already damaged and my spare tire wasn't mounted on the trailer.

Two checks and I am good to go! :)

Bushmaster
04-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Get your wife to help you.....I've seen guys do this and it seems to help smooth out the process !! :D

nast70
04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Not supposed to have anyone in the boat while travelling to the launch.
Never been to cvr. Have had many CO's present while launching and loading and have never had one say boo about it.

Habfan
04-01-2015, 06:00 PM
I believe it maybe illegal to have someone in the boat whist backing your vehicle down the ramp. At least I've seen that posted at a few launches, (CVR comes to mind).

No way !! Maybe going through the campground but not at the ramp !! Most people jump in the boat at the launch and have someone back them in, then start the boat and drive off once in the water. Don't back in to far incase the motor won't start, that way you can pull back out of water without paddling to dock or shore, unhook safety chain once motor is running.

Habfan
04-01-2015, 07:01 PM
This is exactly what's posted at the launch:

"Please note it is unlawful to ride in your boat to and from the boat launch"

it's also in their campground regulations.

So I guess, once your boat is on the boat launch, you're okay, but if you get in before it's physically on the ramp (which is what many do) it isn't.

That is correct ! I had a seasonal site there and it is a problem and safety concern with kids, dogs,toys and wives bouncing around down the road to the launch !

58thecat
04-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Quote your source and the law stating watercraft in "bad" weather docking or loading have priority over those launching.

I look forward to you backing up this claim.

Easy NEWB never mentioned a source it is just a Polite right thing to do. A boat in the water with people on it attempting to get off the water due to bad weather has the right a way in my books. So that being said I am the source.

58thecat
04-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Never been to cvr. Have had many CO's present while launching and loading and have never had one say boo about it.

The CO said nothing but the RCMP will, this happened to me once, got off with a warning trailering ski tube, wife and kids in the boat the 200 yards from the camp ground to the boat launch. Got lucky.

Duramaximos
04-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Get your wife to help you.....I've seen guys do this and it seems to help smooth out the process !! :D

My wife and I were surely destined for DIVORCE over the dreaded boat launch until a wise old gentleman whispered in my ear three words that saved us... two way radios. :)

waterninja
04-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Quite honestly, if your in a storm, or one is brewing and there is heavy waves, I wouldn't launch my boat anyways.

58thecat
04-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Quite honestly, if your in a storm, or one is brewing and there is heavy waves, I wouldn't launch my boat anyways.

Ya me too but meatheads walk amongst us.:). We usually end up saving their butts too.

Big Sky
04-01-2015, 08:07 PM

A wife that can back a trailer down a boat ramp ..... now that's a trophy wife!

Love the look on guys' faces when she backs it in like a pro. You just know they're pi**ed that she launches and loads better than they do.

the local angler
04-01-2015, 09:55 PM
i'm a newbie boater too and not exactly the right person to post advise but don't do what i did and go way out to the middle of the lake first time out.i got caught by a storm out of no where and almost sank the boat(went into panic mode even though i had all safety equipment on board). carry a good fire extinguisher a few trips later ran into another boater with smoke billowing out of the engine compartment due to over heating i thought it was an engine fire. others may hate me for saying this but i do not recommend alcohol on board the boat.

Wes_G
04-01-2015, 10:52 PM
others may hate me for saying this but i do not recommend alcohol on board the boat.

It is against the law.....

Wes_G
04-01-2015, 10:55 PM
I will be fishing mostly south of Calgary as I am from Lethbridge. I have a ton of experience with boats so will have no problem handling it once on the water, just no experience launching or trailering them. Definitely excited for the summer now!! Cant wait to get out there. Thanks for all the tips, please keep them coming.

CK Angler
04-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Make sure your plug is in the boat as well :sHa_shakeshout: , you definitely don't want to be that guy. Practice backing it up and like has already been said have everything packed up and ready to go when you launch

^^^ this is very important, not sure everyone will admit it but almost everyone has done it... It sucks, it's embarassing... Always check that the plug is in, I did it years ago, was the only person at the lake, had to call my buddies to call rescue me, 14ft Lund half sunk... Yep, it sucked.

Puma
04-02-2015, 09:03 AM
We were all newbies when we started.

bubba 96
04-02-2015, 10:00 AM

Always have my partner in boat he has fused ankles and it's way eaiser for him to be in boat, and by the time I'm out of the truck he has boat started and waiting for me to undo chain...Never had anyone tell us it's not allowed however he gets in just before I back down ramp...

NEWB
04-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Easy NEWB never mentioned a source it is just a Polite right thing to do. A boat in the water with people on it attempting to get off the water due to bad weather has the right a way in my books. So that being said I am the source.

So that is something you made up then..

"Bad weather" is all up to interpetation.

If I am launching in heavy winds/rain I am not giving you priority. You can dock and wait in line till it is your turn load the boat. I launch rain, wind or shine and have done so in some very interesting conditions.

If you have kids in the boat then it is a different story and I would help you load.

If you get your ginch in a knot as I am launching and you want to get off becase of wind and rain... well... yeah.. enjoy the knot. :)

I guess the "meatheads" are the ones who make things up while trying to play the role of good guy.

the local angler
04-02-2015, 05:37 PM
It is against the law.....

yeah i know its just i see so many times boats pulling up to the docks with empty beer cans rolling around on the bottom of the boats.

kevinhits
04-02-2015, 05:46 PM
yeah i know its just i see so many times boats pulling up to the docks with empty beer cans rolling around on the bottom of the boats.

I don't let them roll around...I crush them and put them away:sHa_sarcasticlol:

the local angler
04-02-2015, 07:56 PM
ya drop them in the live well lol

medhatken
04-03-2015, 07:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ejwRj9t1Q

This is all you need lol!

BlackHeart
04-03-2015, 08:51 AM
A couple of points that haven't been mentioned. With some examples of what happens.

1) When tieing up to the dock, tie both ends of the boat.
Cold lake PP launch, they tied up the front, and let the back drift out and blocked the rest of the dock.

2) Ensure your tied tight to the dock.....no 30ft of slack.
Same individuals as above have a boat that's floating all over the launch area.

3) IF your going to tie up to the dock and go for lunch, at least tie the boat up such that others can still use a portion of the dock....as in not in the center.

4) Dont tie up in the launch zone.

5) If it's a two Trailer wide launch don't use the center of it.

Doing the above will not impress anybody that the fancy shiny fiberglass party boat is the forced focus of everyone waiting to load or launch. And of course, if I don't mind the scratchs on my heavy edged aluminum jet, I'll manage to get in, but when the wind shifts whose fault is it???

Bigwoodsman
04-03-2015, 10:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ejwRj9t1Q

This is all you need lol!

That right there is cool.

BW

Freedom55
04-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Drive over to SAWT event and watch the launch. Go back and watch the loading. Take notes.

Sea Hawk
04-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Most boat launches have a pier next to it. After I prepare my boat to launch it I attach a rope to the bow and one to the stern. I back down the launch parallel and as close to the pier as possible. Just before the trailer hits the water I stop and hand the ropes to my wife or whoever my be with me that day.At this time I confirm that I have not forgotten to hang the fenders on the pier side of the boat. Unhook the safety chain on the front of the boat and back into the water. As soon as the boat floats you can drive out leaving the boat behind for your assistant to guide over to the pier. They can walk it down the pier to get clear of the launch.
I use the same ropes to load as well. You back in the trailer and then use the ropes to guide the boat onto the trailer. If you have backed in properly you can then step off the pier onto the truck bumper, secure the winchline to the boat, crank it tight,step back on the pier, get in your truck and drive out.
the great thing about this method is your helper needs very little if any experience and works quite well when you are dealing with waves or tidal flow at the launch.

58thecat
04-04-2015, 10:38 AM
So that is something you made up then..

"Bad weather" is all up to interpetation.

If I am launching in heavy winds/rain I am not giving you priority. You can dock and wait in line till it is your turn load the boat. I launch rain, wind or shine and have done so in some very interesting conditions.

If you have kids in the boat then it is a different story and I would help you load.

If you get your ginch in a knot as I am launching and you want to get off becase of wind and rain... well... yeah.. enjoy the knot. :)

I guess the "meatheads" are the ones who make things up while trying to play the role of good guy.

You put yourself at risk but don't put others at risk. You might have a vast experience on the water but most people are wk-enders who just want to enjoy a few outing sa season, look at it from that perspective.

When you see a boat bouncing up and down violently, a fella or two trying to stabilize it and safely get it on the trailer don't try to launch and add to the chaos help out whether there are kids involved or not. People just want to get out of inclement weather safely with no damage to their boat/trailer/tow vehicle.

Tight knots and being a nice fella is always a good thing too.:)

58thecat
04-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Drive over to SAWT event and watch the launch. Go back and watch the loading. Take notes.

Well said. The beginning of the season we use to go over to the Cold Lake marina, buy a pop or something and watch the show, you can pick up what to do and what not to do, watch people at their worst and best, better than TV.

NEWB
04-04-2015, 10:45 AM
You put yourself at risk but don't put others at risk. You might have a vast experience on the water but most people are wk-enders who just want to enjoy a few outing sa season, look at it from that perspective.

When you see a boat bouncing up and down violently, a fella or two trying to stabilize it and safely get it on the trailer don't try to launch and add to the chaos help out whether there are kids involved or not. People just want to get out of inclement weather safely with no damage to their boat/trailer/tow vehicle.

Tight knots and being a nice fella is always a good thing too.:)

One gets experience by intentionally putting them selves in hairy situations from time to time. :)

I find the best fishing to be in stormy weather.

I agree. There are a lot of weekend warriors out there who would not know what to do when the weather changes.

Perhaps I interperted your post differently from what you meant. I interperted it that you should be given priority if you are coming in there is no tow vehicle at the launch and I am already launchining or in the process of launching. If you are already there and in the process of loading (as in a normal process) then you have the priority on the launch.

If you are in the process of loading the boat and there are high winds I have no intent of pulling up beside you and launching my boat risking damaging my boat, vehicle nor your boat or vehicle.

58thecat
04-04-2015, 03:05 PM
One gets experience by intentionally putting them selves in hairy situations from time to time. :)

I find the best fishing to be in stormy weather.

I agree. There are a lot of weekend warriors out there who would not know what to do when the weather changes.

Perhaps I interperted your post differently from what you meant. I interperted it that you should be given priority if you are coming in there is no tow vehicle at the launch and I am already launchining or in the process of launching. If you are already there and in the process of loading (as in a normal process) then you have the priority on the launch.

If you are in the process of loading the boat and there are high winds I have no intent of pulling up beside you and launching my boat risking damaging my boat, vehicle nor your boat or vehicle.

Ya I think we were on the same chapter just different pages:) at the end of the day we would help anyone out. Sometimes I got to rescue myself like by not putting the plug in...I was the meathead that day and heard it from the wife for a while:sHa_sarcasticlol:

cgs01
04-05-2015, 12:36 PM
To practicing backing up, maybe get 2 or 4 of those emergency triangles to marker points to put your trailer into.

Just an idea.

cgs

WhitefishLady
04-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Lots of good advice on here! Backing up straight is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Well designed boat launches have an area you can pull your truck and trailer straight. Off the top of my head, PCR, Newell and twin valley are pretty good. Avoid the boat launch from hell (ie Minnewanka). Seriously who designed that one?

ramonmark
04-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Words are one way. I'm a visual learner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZET6Z1lz58

NEWB
04-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Ya I think we were on the same chapter just different pages:) at the end of the day we would help anyone out. Sometimes I got to rescue myself like by not putting the plug in...I was the meathead that day and heard it from the wife for a while:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I think so too! :). Sounds like we would both help help people with out hesitation.

I haven't been caught on the plug yet.. Close though..

I forgot to remove the transom straps once. Fortunately i caught it before i sunk my boat and trailer. ;). I was wondering why the boat wasn't floating off the trailer..

Kingfisher
04-07-2015, 08:44 PM
One thing that isn't mentioned yet is you might have to get a bit wet when loading or launching your boat. I always wear a pair of Keens and shorts. Keens are really great and dry quickly. They also stay on your foot and are not going to rip off like a cheap flip flop.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=106031&stc=1&d=1428461021

Djm2u
04-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Here is a great video....

Public Service Announcement - Boat Ramp Etiquette #1

https://vimeo.com/67253679

:scared0018:

omega50
04-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Back in the day in Manitoba it seemed popular to have a receiver for the hitch on the front bumper for launching.

Not sure if anyone does this anymore.

As said earlier in this thread. Park near a launch one day and just watch.
You will see good and you will see bad in short order.

Watched a guy at the Badger Inlet launch by himself- removed the straps had a long rope coiled in the box and into the cab with him.

Backed down hit the gas and immediately hit the brake-boat slid off and out and he had control of the rope from inside of the cab. slick as snot

Freedom55
04-08-2015, 09:58 AM
...Watched a guy at the Badger Inlet launch by himself- removed the straps had a long rope coiled in the box and into the cab with him.

Backed down hit the gas and immediately hit the brake-boat slid off and out and he had control of the rope from inside of the cab. slick as snot

This is my technique when I put the 16' Lund in except I let the boat float off so I know the fender depth for when I leave. Then I power onto the bunks. I don't like getting my feet wet.

big bore 09
04-08-2015, 08:58 PM
yes i have a mental check list in my head before i go on the ramp and check to make sure your batteries are charged seen people with dead batteries floating on the water

paulco
04-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Check batteries, but do not try turning engine dry. Extremely hard on your water pump impeller.

Good luck