PDA

View Full Version : Chester lale K country

Roughneck71
04-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Does anyone how long of a hike it is to Chester lake from the parking lot? Stopped by today working but no sign with a distance on it. Anyone fish it? Looking forward to trying it with the fly rod this summer. Thanks
Darrell

Duster
04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
If i remember its a 4.8 km hike and takes about hour and a half up and hour down. Last time i was up there i bumped into 2 huge grizzlies which made us detour way off the path to get around them and down to the truck by dark. So be bear prepared. Fishing is good but never caught anything of real nice size. Beautiful lake though.

J D
04-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Yep 4-5K most up hill

lots of cutties and the odd dolly

jacenbeers
04-01-2015, 09:57 PM
When I do the hike solo it takes just under an hour. The fishing in the lake is awesome and so is the fishing in the outlet creek in the meadow by the lake when the cuttties are spawning. It is beautiful up there. We got trapped by a bunch of Grizzlies years ago so watch your back.

Roughneck71
04-02-2015, 05:00 PM
thanks a lot I will give it a shot in the summer for sure.....ya the grizz seem to be everywhere
Darrell

the local angler
04-02-2015, 05:39 PM
wow i have been up there a few times with friends and never had grizzly encounters before.

Duster
04-02-2015, 10:08 PM
If ur walking around the lake to the falls and u look up to the left theres a little cutline kinda trail and we were fishing the lake right straight down from that trail and the biggest grizz i have ever seen came down 40 yards behinds us. Scared the **** outta us. Lol. Havent been back since.

Headdamage
04-03-2015, 12:56 AM
There used to be greyling in Chester Lake back in the 80's.

J D
04-03-2015, 08:06 AM
You can run into grizz any place in K country seen lots at spray

good to remember there around but I would not let it stop me from fishing chester

the local angler
04-03-2015, 09:45 AM
i have always carried bear spray with me and felt fairly confident in going out for hikes and fishing up until i found out bear spray had an expire date. i was not aware of this and went home to check it and was stunned that both my bear sprays i bought expired 7 years ago. i really wish they would make bear spray canisters like a fire extinguisher where once you have one that expires you can recharge it instead of buying another unit. the only issue we had at chester was during lunch time fighting off the chipmunks lol.

Roughneck71
04-03-2015, 03:04 PM
u guys fly fish or spin cast? I would imagine small spoons would work?
darrell

mike780
04-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Darrell,
you can also google map chester lake to see the trail. its actually on there and you can estimate the distance and see the terrain. If your interested in going there i would be up for it, let me know when you go maybe we can hike in together.

Mike

mike780
04-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Darrell,
you can also google map chester lake to see the trail. its actually on there and you can estimate the distance and see the terrain. If your interested in going there i would be up for it, let me know when you go maybe we can hike in together.

Mike

google says its 4.6KM hike and it should take 1h 15mins

J D
04-03-2015, 04:13 PM
u guys fly fish or spin cast? I would imagine small spoons would work?
darrell

both work

for gear I proffer spinners like panther martins #15

the local angler
04-03-2015, 10:14 PM
if you don't fly fish you can always use a light action spinning rod with a casting bubble and fly which also works very well

Flieguy
04-04-2015, 11:38 AM
I like tiny gold mepps or panther martin spinners when I spin fish in backcountry lakes. That said, as long as the wind is down try a casting bubble and a small dry fly (3-4 feet away) for the cutts, and prepare to be addicted.