PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trolling motor hesitates

briverb
04-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 55lb thrust electric trolling motor

http://powerboats.lv/images/products/minn-kota-maxxum-55t-1322310838777.jpg

Had it a while and lots and lots and lots of fishing hours on it. :-)

Recently it hesitates when going from 0-50 range in forward. Anything above that is steady. Reverse is steady. But when I go from 75 down to 50 or lower, it hesitates and then kicks in.

My deep cycle batteries are good, so that is not the issue.

I saw a video about cleaning the contacts for a hesitation issue. So I took the cap off and cleaned 4 of the connections with electrical cleaner. Let it dry, put it back together and it seemed to not hesitate as much, but still hesitates.

I am going to look at the manual for switches and other possible things to look at, but thought I'd check here at the same time to see if anyone else had a similar problem and fixed it. :cheers:

Thanks for any feedback on this issue.

briverb
04-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Thank you very much for your reply.

This is new to me, so not sure I can find the potentiometer wiper.

Here is the best diagram I can find.

http://www.profisherman.com/minnkota/minn%20kota%20maxxum%2055t.jpg

Does it have another term, or am I just blind and cannot see it? :)

Thanks again.

Speckle55
04-03-2015, 07:19 AM
Talk to Trevor he fixed 2 of mine and sells parts

http://www.reeldr.com/home/

David:)

briverb
04-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks a bunch Jet.

I will try the suggestions you mentioned.

briverb
04-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Here are some pics under the cover.

I cleaned the contacts of the bigger wires.

Everything comes off in one piece.

huntsfurfish
04-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Also, dont forget to pull the prop off now and then to check for fishing line wrapped inside. It will cause damage if left.

pikergolf
04-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I put an inline breaker on my battery cables. I had the same issue, it was caused by the breaker not being fully latched.

briverb
04-11-2015, 07:28 AM
so I did what you said Jet. Took apart the handle and cleaned everything. It seemed to not hesitate as much, but still does hesitate.

I also checked the prop for line or other obstructions, all good.

I will test batteries with other electric trolling motor ( 30lb thrust Minn Kota) and also test their loads.

Other than that, I don't know what else I can do other than bring it in.

The only question I have is why would it only hesitate going in between 0-50 in forward and not 0-50 in reverse? Is that due to it using the different switches?

Still learning as I go, but learning lots.

Thanks again.

briverb
04-11-2015, 08:18 AM
just a few pics of what I took apart and cleaned. Put back together no problem.

briverb
04-14-2015, 06:28 AM
Thanks again, Jet.

Another option I need to look into comes from a friend. He says, "Maybe something with the magnetic coil inside the electric motor. Seems to be sticking. Maybe the rotor is sticking. The shaft that spins inside the magnetic coil."

Does that sound like it could be part of the problem?

Figure I might was well do as much as I can. By time I am done, I will know how to disassemble and reassemble this electric trolling motor blind folded. haha.

Thanks again for all your help. :happy0180:

briverb
04-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Yep, already took off the prop and checked.

briverb
04-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all your help, Jet. After taking the entire motor apart and not seeing anything wrong, I sat back with a beer and thought about things you said.

Attached the motor diagram to show the parts numbered below.

I finally figured out that the spring (63) that pushes the pin-actuator (60) into the actuator-FWD/REV (62) piece was compressed. So I took out the spring and stretched it a bit. Sure enough that gave it enough force to push against the actuator FWD/REV piece and have steady electrical current. Booya !!!!! No more hesitation.

I was so happy that was the problem and nothing major.

I would not have been able to figure that out without your guidance.

Thanks a bunch. :happy0180:

http://www.profisherman.com/minnkota/minn%20kota%20maxxum%2055t.jpg

Forest Techer
04-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the update! Always nice to hear how these things get resolved.

briverb
05-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Uh-oh. Electric trolling motor is hesitating again. I guess I will try and replace the spring with a new one. Maybe it just did not have enough pressure to push when I stretched it out.

I troll with that motor on speed 50 a lot, so I am thinking it is worn down on the contact area on that spot.

briverb
05-04-2015, 09:56 AM
No spots on contact areas. I went to 87 different locations in Calgary looking for small springs. Nadda. Ok, maybe I went to 7 places.

Anyways I took a piece of zip tie like this,

http://straycreations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/red-zip-tie.jpg

and put it in the hole the spring slides into so there is less space for the spring to compress. The small red zip tie piece fit in the perfectly. Bingo!!!! Motor not longer hesitating.

I think my wife thinks I am crazy with the amount of times I have taken that motor apart lately. hahaha.

briverb
05-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Will do. Thanks for all your help