PDA

View Full Version : Ice conditions at Pigeon Lake

Adwittoutdoors
04-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Afternoon AO. I was wondering how the ice is along the Mulhurst side of the lake. I realize it's going to be sketchy but I was just hoping that someone could give me a report as to the access around shore. If it's a no go then I will have to figure out a different way to get on the ice. Thanks :-)

SNAPFisher
04-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Afternoon AO. I was wondering how the ice is along the Mulhurst side of the lake. I realize it's going to be sketchy but I was just hoping that someone could give me a report as to the access around shore. If it's a no go then I will have to figure out a different way to get on the ice. Thanks :-)

Not sketchy at all. The new cold temps are helping. Yes is has melted around shore but you could step over that wet spots...it is that contained. The rest of the lake is fine. 20-21 inches of ice. I wouldn't advise driving on it for sure. Quads are fine. Walking was/is easy.

Adwittoutdoors
04-04-2015, 01:47 AM
Thanks Snap !! I'm going to try and best your 5 1/2 lb pigs. It's a challenge but I'm up for it. :-) Are you heading out this Saturday ? Thanks again for the info. It's appreciated !!!!

Lefty-Canuck
04-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Thanks Snap !! I'm going to try and best your 5 1/2 lb pigs. It's a challenge but I'm up for it. :-) Are you heading out this Saturday ? Thanks again for the info. It's appreciated !!!!

Isn't pigeon closed now? Edit....must have read wrong.

Pigeon Lake & tributaries (excluding Tide Creek) & outlet – Walleye limit 0 – except the holder of a Special Fish Harvest Licence and tags may retain walleye of a size, number and at the times specified on the licence; Pike limit 1 over 100 cm; Perch limit 5 over 25 cm; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 1 (Burbot limit 0 Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
the portion of lake west of a line drawn from the northwesternmost tip of the point in 13-12-47-2-W5 due north to the point where the line intersects the shoreline of the lake in 13-47-2-W5, locally known as Zeiner Park and including Tide Creek.
CLOSED all year.
the outlet, the portion located in 1,2,11-46-28-W4
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 14 and Open – May 15 to Mar. 31.
the remainder of the lake
Open Apr. 1 to Apr. 16; May 15 to Mar. 31.
Apr. 17 to May 14 – CLOSED

LC

jeffrey929
04-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Open until April 16th

BlackHeart
04-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Tried getting on at the PP.
There is a ice heave along the shore.
Last weekend, there was a fair bit of water(1ft deep in spots) along it on the lake side and you had to pick your crossing carefully, but the ice on the shore side and on tge rest of the lake was good.......for walking only. Getting a bit rotten and thinner from the bottom.

Today.......different story.
We tried but decided against risking it.
There was about 2" of weak ice on top of at least a foot of water on the shore side. We dragged the sled out but after breaking a boot through and heari g the top layer crushing/cracking, decided to turn back.

The new snow on top hides the conditions, so not sure how other spots are. And as it warms up during the day, wasn't sure how we'd get back to shore with a sled loaded with gear. Plus with the snow, every step is like a box of cracker jacks......you never know what's at the bottom but it's usually a disappointment.

Decided it wasn't worth the risk and boots full of ice water.

Lefty-Canuck
04-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Open until April 16th

I read the first date in the listing which appears to apply to burbot.

LC

SNAPFisher
04-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Ice is fine. No issues. Just stepped over the water at shore.

5 walleye, 1 very skinny pike, hooked and lost 7 whites....they win today. Really, really good fishing though. Also saw a massive white. Came so close....so close....what a rush though. It was the ultimate pig.

Soiler
04-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Still good to walk on..... It'll have stiffened up a bit with the cooler weather the last few nights. We should be good til mid month I'm thinking.