PDA

View Full Version : First Ice Fishing Trip of 2009

butcherboy
01-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Took the family out for a day of hard water fishing. We were out for about 5 hours with maybe 6 bites. Caught one :)that measured 34 inches and roughly weighed 16-18 lbs on the old spring scale. Had another one break our 17 lb Spiderwire:cry:. Heading back out this Saturday. My seven yr old daughter is holding the pike in the picture.

moosehunter3-0
01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
put him in a hot tub for a couple hours it will be fine lol nice pike

Fish Cannon
01-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice Jack, Butcherboy. :)

troller
01-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Nice fish and one happy little girl. a perfect day in my books. Congrats!

marlin1
01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
were you in southern alberta ? just wondering about driving on down south, might head out this weekend with a half ton GMC

Bassett
01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Congrats looks like you had fun, the jack is nearly the size of your daughter!!!

butcherboy
01-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes Marlin, we were in south eastern part of Alberta. This lake is great for pike, the only thing is that it is either great or very slow, but the potential for a good size fish always keeps us going back. Either way, it is great being out there and having the daughter enjoy herself.

Kodiak
01-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Cool BB, nice to see ...

Kod.

xtabo.media
01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Yes Marlin, we were in south eastern part of Alberta. This lake is great for pike, the only thing is that it is either great or very slow, but the potential for a good size fish always keeps us going back. Either way, it is great being out there and having the daughter enjoy herself.

where abouts in South East AB?
thanks

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-02-2009, 03:01 AM
Sweet gator .

marlin1
01-02-2009, 06:29 AM

Forgot to ask . How thick was the ice ? nice pike by the way , wish my girls would ice fish

Walleyes
01-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Dandy fish,, thx for posting ot up..

butcherboy
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Marlin the ice was about 12-14 inches thick. It sure makes the hair stand up on your neck if you are not used to how much the ice shifts and snaps. My little girl was playing on the ice and it shifted and cracked and she jumped up ready to run.:lol: Xtabo, if you want to pm me or email, i would be glad to answer any questions you might have. I know lots of people get upset with this and also get quite rude with their comments, but i have no problem with this :tongue2:. I have fished this lake for many years and have seen many other fishermen/women catch all different sizes and it still is a great producing lake.

Buck Krazy
01-02-2009, 07:41 PM
"put him in a hot tub for a couple hours it will be fine lol nice pike" moosehunter

LOL:lol:

rustynailz
01-02-2009, 11:46 PM
That's a dandy fish and I'm sure that your daughter will remember it for a very long time. Great to see young people getting out on the ice.

happy perch fisher
01-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I think your scale is hooped that fish is more in the 8-10 range.

butcherboy
01-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Always a critic somewhere!!!!!!!!!!! The fish did measure 34 inches and as for the weight, i do work in the meat industry and do alot of weighing before putting the meat into a box. So, the scale is close. Thanks..

happy perch fisher
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
You can say think whatever u want that fish is no where close to 16-18 pounds. Your looking at a heavy set 42-44incher before u see that kind of wieght. That fish look to be about 8.5 give or take a pound. I caught about 20 pike that season in the 32-36 range and non of them got over the 10 mark and i was using 2 different digital scales during the year. They all went 7.25 to 9.65 and they where all really fat 2. Spirng scales are ussually always junk. I've had some say a 5 pound fish was 20 pounds. So congrats on that 8.5 pounder.

Nerdapres'
01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
His little girl doesn't seem to care. Neither does anyone else I bet.

budd77
01-03-2009, 08:25 PM
All happy perch fisher did was point out that his scale was hooped, which it definantly is. It's a really nice fish but is under 10 lbs.

sako1
01-03-2009, 10:23 PM
wow..my scale must be out to lunch as well........

fluxcore
01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
here is an 18LB I caught

fluxcore
01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
here is a pic on the scale

happy perch fisher
01-04-2009, 12:02 AM
nice 8 pounder fluxcore:wave:

marlin1
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
that pike looks bigger than the 11 pounder I caught last year. I think that fish was over 12 personally just from the picture.

butcherboy
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Maybe there is a CONSPIRACY with all these scales.:lol: We all know how well digital scales work being bounced around in tackle boxes, low batteries, cold weather, not being recalibrated, etc....

buckmaster
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Always a critic somewhere!!!!!!!!!!! The fish did measure 34 inches and as for the weight, i do work in the meat industry and do alot of weighing before putting the meat into a box. So, the scale is close. Thanks..

no kidding! whats the difference,the little one is happy and thats all that matters! dont worry about "hpf", never had a positive comment on this forum!

fluxcore
01-04-2009, 02:17 PM
nice 8 pounder fluxcore:wave:

lol thanx I thought I would post mine, the first thing my dad said was find a good scale and buy it:lol: dont sweat it if someone gives you a hard time about the weight just laugh it off
Nice pike;) I think we all would love to catch one of that size

happy perch fisher
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe there is a CONSPIRACY with all these scales.:lol: We all know how well digital scales work being bounced around in tackle boxes, low batteries, cold weather, not being recalibrated, etc....

While if u where more expiernced fisherman u sould know off the bat that was no where close to 16-18pounds. Digital scales are about 50 times more accurate and reliable then cheap old spring scales. That get pulled down once and there screwed.

pecker
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
While if u where more expiernced fisherman u sould know off the bat that was no where close to 16-18pounds. Digital scales are about 50 times more accurate and reliable then cheap old spring scales. That get pulled down once and there screwed.

when you post a fish pic. on the forum , don't give no length or weight whatever you do.:( nice pike- wish i could catch one that big. :wave:

steve
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM

you wouldnt happen to to be the same "happy perch fisher" on the iceshanty forum that didnt know what a whitefish looked like? :wave:

packhuntr
01-04-2009, 02:40 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Duh, Whats a whitefish:confused:

butcherboy
01-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks pecker. Maybe some people are so disgruntled:wave: that all they can catch is the small fish (hpf). Go GREEN Go(SK).:)

happy perch fisher
01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks pecker. Maybe some people are so disgruntled:wave: that all they can catch is the small fish (hpf). Go GREEN Go(SK).:)
Lol your one to talk considering that u think a 34 in pike can even get close to 16-18 ovousily u only caught small pike so when u caught one medium size one u think its a giant.

you wouldnt happen to to see the same "happy perch fisher" on the iceshanty forum that didnt know what a whitefish looked like? :wave:

Do tell where u seen this steve? Please find the post with a link. If not stfu and stop posting bs.

Scuba
01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Anyone ever notice how its always the same few yahoos...(ie.HPF and the like...) I am fairly new around here, but "those" people were easy to pick out!

steve
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
HPF i would have to slog through miles upon miles of your bs on there to find it. But you know its there i dont tell fish tales. I especially like the one " HPF the nicest guy around thread" haha. Remember what this is all about you tearing apart a thread about a seven year old girl with a nice pike. Give yourself a pat on the back buddy.

sako1
01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
man,and i was going to post a picture of my deer this year,but im afraid if im a point off what somebody thinks it should score they might start crying...

bunnyhunter
01-04-2009, 05:02 PM
yeah um congrats on a great outing for you and your little girl....

and for others....Profanities, racism, flaming or other belittling remarks made toward other message board users will not be tolerated.

its getting old. maybe there should be a seperate fight club forum for you guys to duke it out.

happy perch fisher
01-04-2009, 06:05 PM
HPF i would have to slog through miles upon miles of your bs on there to find it. But you know its there i dont tell fish tales. I especially like the one " HPF the nicest guy around thread" haha. Remember what this is all about you tearing apart a thread about a seven year old girl with a nice pike. Give yourself a pat on the back buddy.

LOL what are u talking about your one saying your seeing walleye in shallows by the dock in wabbum in schools of 8 of more walleye. Now considering that the whitefish where in spawning mode and wabbum has very very few walleye.Also every year u can see whitefish by the docks. But mr.koffie kat there can't tell difference so he thinks there walleye. I tried telling u nicely at first but then u came on like a jerk so i just said u could'nt tell difference bewteen whitefish and a walleye. Which u ovousily can't.

Heres the link http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=87283.0

That topic u made was a joke u tried to take a shot at me and only people that posted supported me. Or where like what was point of this. Lol i can't bielve u even tried to accuse of not knowing what a whitefish was. Considering u can't tell difference i thought i post a link for you in the regulation.
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
There u go now go study the difference. Theres a preaty big one.

I think your scale is hooped that fish is more in the 8-10 range.

Then the guy said i basically had no clue what i was talking about and that he knows what 18 pounds with. Even throw u can ask anyone that know a little bit about fishing will tell u there no way thats 8-10 pike. Then u guys all start jumping on me so across i'm defend myself. So far your guy only real aggrument is thats its his little girls fish. I am sorry about that but i had to say something.

troller
01-05-2009, 06:16 AM
My goodness, what has happened to our education system?

buck
01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
nice fish man
bet your daughter couldn't care less what it wieghed exactly by the look on her face it was heavy enough and plenty big for her congrats again and good for you to have the young one out fishing with ya
good luck the rest of the year and keep posting them big ones

nube
01-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Nice fish. I just got one last week that was 17 lbs and this fish looks like the one I caught. Even if it wasn't the size he said he is only fooling himself and no big deal. Congrats on a great fish and glad you took the kid out fishing. She must have had a great time with her dad.
HPF- I have been around for a while and have also been on Ice shanty and all I can say is that you are indeed needing a hug or 2. I know I would if I acted like you and had no friends. Just try and be nice and help a guy out now and again. You are negative on most your posts and from what I see there are not too many people that care for what you have to say.:wave:

happy perch fisher
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Nice fish. I just got one last week that was 17 lbs and this fish looks like the one I caught. Even if it wasn't the size he said he is only fooling himself and no big deal. Congrats on a great fish and glad you took the kid out fishing. She must have had a great time with her dad.
HPF- I have been around for a while and have also been on Ice shanty and all I can say is that you are indeed needing a hug or 2. I know I would if I acted like you and had no friends. Just try and be nice and help a guy out now and again. You are negative on most your posts and from what I see there are not too many people that care for what you have to say.:wave:

Yah most of my post i'm exposing bs and trying to protect the remaining perch lakes from the hords of lurkers. Sure alot of people dislike me because i prevent alot of them from getting freebies. I could really care less of what most people think of me. But i'm sick of everyone giving every dam lake away. I did'nt care say i own the lake whatever. Its better that u guys say i own every lake then me seeing all these great lakes destroyed by the hords of meat fisherman. I did'nt care if u can find these lakes by means go ahead in fish them. But i know most of you guys won't because your 2 lazy to get off your butt off the couch to find them. So you guys just sit here waiting for freebies. So when someone like me posts you get all offensive saying that i own every lake blah blah blah. I did'nt care what u guys think my main reason for posting now is the protect the few remaining lakes. These borads are for genral info not for someone secret spot.