PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing shacks left on Gull Lake

Daren
04-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Had

waterninja
04-04-2015, 09:04 PM
I understand exactly where your comming from. Sorry to hear what happened to you. never heard of that before.
Every year it seems like some people leave thier shacks on lakes. Wouldn't surprise me that new regs. will be enacted that require shack owners to have contact info. on thier shacks. Of course that will also mean new rules and regs on the kind of shack you can have, and probably a fee to have it on the ice. Anything to make life more diffucult and squeeze some money out of us.

Mackinaw
04-04-2015, 11:27 PM
I understand exactly where your comming from. Sorry to hear what happened to you. never heard of that before.
Every year it seems like some people leave thier shacks on lakes. Wouldn't surprise me that new regs. will be enacted that require shack owners to have contact info. on thier shacks. Of course that will also mean new rules and regs on the kind of shack you can have, and probably a fee to have it on the ice. Anything to make life more diffucult and squeeze some money out of us.

Don't understand why you think this Ont has had it for year no extra cost easy to regester shack. I can't figure out why other provinces have no adopted it.

Mack

Skoaltender
04-05-2015, 08:01 AM
I'm all for registering a shack. After seeing the mess left on a bunch of lakes this year from some shack owners.

58thecat
04-05-2015, 08:09 AM
I'm all for registering a shack. After seeing the mess left on a bunch of lakes this year from some shack owners.

Yep just like a bear baited area, you should have to have your name, win number etc on it. Law should state when you can have them on and when you must have them off. No cost included though.

italk2u
04-05-2015, 08:47 AM

And those that leave the mess will be the ones who whine the loudest.

Hunter Trav
04-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Yep just like a bear baited area, you should have to have your name, win number etc on it. Law should state when you can have them on and when you must have them off. No cost included though.

x 1000...there is no reason this shouldn't be a law...

Forest Techer
04-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Doesn't this only work if the info stays posted after the shack is gone?

I've had conversations with various Leo and it takes a lot to be able to charge someone for littering or dumping. Apparently a trail cam/license plate and picture of the person isn't enough????

we pulled a bunch of garbage off of slave last week but with the shacks gone who's going to get charged?

The way other jurisdictions wouldn't be the end of the world but it's the saddest thing that we can't keep FISHERMAN from POLLUTING their own lake. I'd rather see a real crackdown next year, fw knocking on doors and talking to these guys taking pictures. Put an article in the outdoorsmen and regs about it. Talk to your neighbour out there and give him hell if he leaves anything.

Please to god why do we need to pass laws to do what's right and 99.99% of people agree with?

Just occurred to me, 99.99% of the charges around this law would end up being around compliance of the law not to help charge anyone with littering. (The # on the wrong side, not enough reflective tape, didn't report change etc.) start burdening the criminals for once...

Little rantish

Kim473
04-05-2015, 10:20 AM
$250 fine for littering in Edmonton. Maybe F&W should hand out fines when noticed.

Big Red 250
04-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Been like this in Manitoba for years already. Name & address.

winmag
04-05-2015, 11:47 AM
The ice shack fisherman should have to get a life time number from FW and pay 20 bucks to off set paper work paint license number on shack above door, no number you will be fined if caught out on lake . March 15 all huts off lake and area policed up and clean, any huts left on the following week end the local clubs[ who will have the gear and know how ]and FW remove and the owners contacted and fined heavy , partial fine money goes to clubs who volunteered, the Wild Life Fund and rest to FW to help offset their man power costs, personally i am good with that i have a ice shack at Gull every year , what ever it takes to keep the lake clean ,hit them in the wallet :)

Forest Techer
04-05-2015, 12:37 PM
What's wrong with everyone??

You are going to pay and be limited in what and when you can have your shack out because of criminals!?

March 15!? Most years you could have it out there March 31st. Why am I forced to bring it in earlier than that?? Why not make it the owners responsibility!? I don't want my shack to sink and as long as the seasons open and I'm able to get it off then what's the problem? Some own Argos/helicopters/nodwells just because you can't doesn't mean everyone can't.

Why are people so willing to restrict their freedom based on the lowest common denominators of society... :snapoutofit:

Haha. Somebody think critically for the love of sky cake!

Mackinaw
04-05-2015, 11:17 PM

You are going to pay and be limited in what and when you can have your shack out because of criminals!?

March 15!? Most years you could have it out there March 31st. Why am I forced to bring it in earlier than that?? Why not make it the owners responsibility!? I don't want my shack to sink and as long as the seasons open and I'm able to get it off then what's the problem? Some own Argos/helicopters/nodwells just because you can't doesn't mean everyone can't.

Why are people so willing to restrict their freedom based on the lowest common denominators of society... :snapoutofit:

Shacks in Ont have to be off in accordance to what lake you are on and the closure date of that lake.it is an easy system don't see why it is hard to understand.
Mack

TJG
04-06-2015, 10:20 AM

X2. Name and phone number are all thats needed.
Fish cops come to the shack, no name or number, drag it off the lake until conformance. Seen lots of shacks that look like no one ever uses and then the next week theres a party there.Its not the everyday fisherman or even the weekend guy, its the once or twice a year guy that is the issue.

Penner
04-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Totally agree registration should be mandatory. Would appear most on this thread agree with that.

What I wonder is how many of you are willing to pay for the registering and enforcement cause it ain't going to be done for free. Seeing how many people think the Walleye Tag system is a tax grab, I'd like to see what the response will be on this one. :scared0018:

winmag
04-06-2015, 06:53 PM
March 15 was a time line selected for all huts off lake, gives the sport clubs and wardens two weeks to remove all the idiots huts their junk and garbage left out on ice safely most years and there was a pile , pictures where taken and numbers recorded for fines , have been involved in last minute poor ice removals with air boats and choppers at crunch time because of extra warm weather .A shanty town off the town of Sutton on Simcoe had over a thousand huts imagine the garbage especially the hut blocking froze into the ice real hard on boat drives in spring , sorry your hut needs official numbers so we all have a way to identify the slobs:)

flygirrl
04-06-2015, 07:06 PM
If we are talking strictly of getting shacks off the ice I see no problem with registering your permanent shack. Problem with garbage is who done it? If I go out ice fishing today beside your shack because no one is there and leave garbage everywhere who is responsible. The owner of the shack. The shack owner will end up cleaning it up but the culpert has gotten away. Everyone needs to police this not just F&W. We need pictures, plate numbers and be WILLING to go to court to testify, that is the only way to stop it. Drives me nuts when people complain on an Internet forum, be it here or facebook or any social network about something they saw, IE: someone being negligent but does nothing about it. Kudo's to the ones that do.

Forest Techer
04-06-2015, 07:15 PM
If we are talking strictly of getting shacks off the ice I see no problem with registering your permanent shack. Problem with garbage is who done it? If I go out ice fishing today beside your shack because no one is there and leave garbage everywhere who is responsible. The owner of the shack. The shack owner will end up cleaning it up but the culpert has gotten away. Everyone needs to police this not just F&W. We need pictures, plate numbers and be WILLING to go to court to testify, that is the only way to stop it. Drives me nuts when people complain on an Internet forum, be it here or facebook or any social network about something they saw, IE: someone being negligent but does nothing about it. Kudo's to the ones that do.

Thank you!

Can we just find a way to deal with slobs and poachers without creating more rules. I mean it's already illegal. Enforce the laws that exist already before creating more.

A guy can't scratch his rear without asking for permission these days as it is.
People need to forget about other jurisdictions. This is Alberta! We can do BETTER.

Mackinaw
04-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Thank you!

Can we just find a way to deal with slobs and poachers without creating more rules. I mean it's already illegal. Enforce the laws that exist already before creating more.

A guy can't scratch his rear without asking for permission these days as it is.
People need to forget about other jurisdictions. This is Alberta! We can do BETTER.

You better open your eyes Alberta is not doing better and its about time it looked at what other provinces are doing before they lose what little they have.

Mack

Mackinaw
04-07-2015, 09:25 AM
March 15 was a time line selected for all huts off lake, gives the sport clubs and wardens two weeks to remove all the idiots huts their junk and garbage left out on ice safely most years and there was a pile , pictures where taken and numbers recorded for fines , have been involved in last minute poor ice removals with air boats and choppers at crunch time because of extra warm weather .A shanty town off the town of Sutton on Simcoe had over a thousand huts imagine the garbage especially the hut blocking froze into the ice real hard on boat drives in spring , sorry your hut needs official numbers so we all have a way to identify the slobs:)
That is for permanent shack cloth shacks can still be used as long as lake and fish species is open they just must be removed at end of day.

Mack

huntsfurfish
04-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Agree with registration should be mandatory. And removal date.