PDA

View Full Version : Fort sask trout pond

CanuckAngler11
04-06-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm trying to fish the trout pond in fort sask more but don't catch much I'm wondering if there are spots on the pond that are better than others and what to use? Thanks.

coyotezh
04-06-2015, 01:10 PM
I went there a lot. There is not very much fish in the pond. They only stock 30 fish last year..

chriscosta
04-06-2015, 02:28 PM
I catch every time i go out. ..its all how ya wiggle your worm ;)

diamond k
04-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Seems strange on a pond that size that they only stocked 30 fish but that is what the stocking report says.

chriscosta
04-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Yeah thats wierd maybe its printed wrong lol

coyotezh
04-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Yeah thats wierd maybe its printed wrong lol

not many fish in that pond for sure.

ghostguy6
04-07-2015, 12:00 AM
As soon as people started posting about it a few years ago it got hit hard and fast. Its ok when its first stoked but like most trout ponds the numbers go down quick.

FisherPotch
04-08-2015, 08:39 AM
It got 2000 bows plus the 30 good size fish I'm pretty sure. Nobody has been catching this year. It gets pounded hard and the fish have plenty of feed so angling presents challenges. As things warm up I think you'll find you have more success. Some fish have definitely over wintered. But with the amount of feed and pressure on this pond 2000 bows is likely not as much as this pond should get.

chriscosta
04-08-2015, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=FisherPotch;2793852]It got 2000 bows plus the 30 good size fish I'm pretty sure. Nobody has been catching this year. It gets pounded hard and the fish have plenty of feed so angling presents challenges. As things warm up I think you'll find you have more success. Some fish have definitely over wintered. But with the amount of feed and pressure on this pond 2000 bows is likely not as much as this pond should get.[/QUOTEi couldnt agree more the fish i caught last summer were all good size...and i put em back i dont think it winterkills either]

Brandonkop
04-08-2015, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=FisherPotch;2793852]It got 2000 bows plus the 30 good size fish I'm pretty sure. Nobody has been catching this year. It gets pounded hard and the fish have plenty of feed so angling presents challenges. As things warm up I think you'll find you have more success. Some fish have definitely over wintered. But with the amount of feed and pressure on this pond 2000 bows is likely not as much as this pond should get.[/QUOTEi couldnt agree more the fish i caught last summer were all good size...and i put em back i dont think it winterkills either]

I went there one day in January through the ice. Hooked up and landed one about 16 inch... fatty. While he was flipping beside the hole and I was turning the camera on he jumped back down the hole. Then Later on something hit the Jaw Jacker, pulling hard... I was running like crazy... and right before I got there.... slack rod! So definitely two fish left in the lake! Go get em :)

Safety D
04-09-2015, 08:16 AM
I don't know why people would waste their time there when you got the river 400 yards away??:argue2:

chriscosta
04-09-2015, 01:17 PM
With all do respect because i do fish the river as well its because to alot of people the rivers pretty dirty fort sask pond is nice and so are the fish...but the nsr can be a treturous hike and also very hit and miss ..that pond has a sidewalk all the way around lol how easy is that ..idk to each there own but i have always done good in fort even last fall it was steady action..

CanuckAngler11
04-10-2015, 12:56 PM
With all do respect because i do fish the river as well its because to alot of people the rivers pretty dirty fort sask pond is nice and so are the fish...but the nsr can be a treturous hike and also very hit and miss ..that pond has a sidewalk all the way around lol how easy is that ..idk to each there own but i have always done good in fort even last fall it was steady action..
What do you usually use a for a setup at the fort sask. Pond ? I'm curious because I tried an egg sinker with a swivel to fluorocarbon to use for power bait and no luck. I also have fly gear. So any setups that work for you would be much appreciated.

chriscosta
04-10-2015, 07:36 PM
What do you usually use a for a setup at the fort sask. Pond ? I'm curious because I tried an egg sinker with a swivel to fluorocarbon to use for power bait and no luck. I also have fly gear. So any setups that work for you would be much appreciated.

I caught a few fish on a black leach on my fly rod but honestly what works best in all stocked ponds from shore in my experiences is a half dew worm on a small hook with two split shot one a foot above the hook then another a foot up from that and a bobber a foot up from that ...if thats not getting any hits at all use a pickeral rig with half a dew worm on each and cast as close to the bubbles as possible ...but 9 times outta ten the bobber works ...in the evenings ive had a cpl try n take a may fly and miss ..and if ya feel like casting over and over not much can compare to a half dew worm on a small panther martin with a gold blade ...try that trolling behind a boat one day youll never use another hook again for trout lol

Photohawk
04-10-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm trying to fish the trout pond in fort sask more but don't catch much I'm wondering if there are spots on the pond that are better than others and what to use? Thanks. check this thread
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=251303

CanuckAngler11
04-10-2015, 09:09 PM
I caught a few fish on a black leach on my fly rod but honestly what works best in all stocked ponds from shore in my experiences is a half dew worm on a small hook with two split shot one a foot above the hook then another a foot up from that and a bobber a foot up from that ...if thats not getting any hits at all use a pickeral rig with half a dew worm on each and cast as close to the bubbles as possible ...but 9 times outta ten the bobber works ...in the evenings ive had a cpl try n take a may fly and miss ..and if ya feel like casting over and over not much can compare to a half dew worm on a small panther martin with a gold blade ...try that trolling behind a boat one day youll never use another hook again for trout lol
Wow thanks for the tips!! I will definitely be making a trip to canadian tire soon!!

CanuckAngler11
04-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Do you use a leader? Or just directly on the main line. ( I have 6 lb trilene)