PDA

View Full Version : Electric Filleting Knives

BobM
01-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Anyone have any experience with electric filleting knives, my son wants one for his birthday but if they are no good I will look for something else.

WildCats
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Can't beat em! American Angler made the best one but as far as i know their not around anymore. Storm and Rapala make decent ones although the blades are a little short. You can do three fish with an electric in the time it takes to do one with a standard fillet knife. Still need the regular knife for jerking bones out, blades on the electric are a little stiff.

WC

wadeseward
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
I love mine! I have the Rapala 2 different sizes of blades.

rustynailz
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Do you guys have the cordless or plug-in ones?

Fish Cannon
01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Last one I had was a plug-in. Love using an electric fillet knife, but if I am only cutting a few fish I just use a regular fillet knife.

BEL
01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Took awhile to get used to how it cuts. Love it and would not be without it. I have one that plugs in to the wall, hooks up to a battery and or a cigarette lighter. I have 2 sizes of blades. Look for sales if you can--just before fishing season and at the end of icefishing. BEL

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I bought one in the summer when I was at cabela's Best 150 bucks ive ever spent. I suggest the rapala brand as they have two models , one you plug in via a 12 volt sdource , but gives you a house plug at which you just plug the 12 volt end into the wall plug. Or the other is cordless. I bought both. I love the corded one much more as after cleanning your 4th fish the battery is dead.But they do a wonderful job.Very little meat wasted to the skin as you skin it. I love the things , greatest thing ive spent my money on in awhile.Also Ive filleted close to a 100 fish with it since I bought them and blades are still erfect.

Mudder Man
01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Bobm

I have had my Rapala with the Cord Electric Knife for quite sometime now. You cant beat it once you get used to it. I wished i would have had it 30 years ago. It does take a bit of getting used to, like to Trigger the knife when taking the skin off of Fillets or when removing the bones. The only Fish i use a hand knife on now is Halibut and when i take the Y Bones out of Pike. Although i think i will get good enough with the Rapala to not need the Hand Knife for Pike soon.

The Blades are inter changeable with your household Kitchen Electric Knife as well. So when i am cutting Salmon Steaks i use the Household Knife with the more aggressive blades from my Rapala Knife. This works great and makes short work out of mostly Frozen Salmon. The Household Knife is high speed as the Rapala is a slow speed knife.

I may suggest that you get the Knife that comes with the Cord. I have found that the Cordless plays out way too soon and just doesnt feel right in your hand once you have used the one with the Cord.

One other thing i did is buy a 10 foot extension so i have enough cord to get to the tailgate of the truck when doing Fish at the Lake.

I hope this helps you Bobm

MM

twilson_99
01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I like mine but actually haven't used it on a fish yet!!! Works great getting the silverskin off deer elk and moose meat when butchering at home though!!

rabelb
01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I used to have an American Angler which was an excellent knife but unfortunately I don't think they are available anymore? For the past three years I used the Storm brand available at Walmart for about $30.00 (I bought mine and a couple extras as they had them on clearance for $10.00 once upon a time). My original knife has done a couple hundred fish and it's still performing well. The only downside is the 6" blade.

Shmag
01-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Can't beat em!!!

Rockymtnx
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Can't beat em! American Angler made the best one but as far as i know their not around anymore. Storm and Rapala make decent ones although the blades are a little short. You can do three fish with an electric in the time it takes to do one with a standard fillet knife. Still need the regular knife for jerking bones out, blades on the electric are a little stiff.
WC

I used to have an American Angler which was an excellent knife but unfortunately I don't think they are available anymore? For the past three years I used the Storm brand available at Walmart for about $30.00 (I bought mine and a couple extras as they had them on clearance for $10.00 once upon a time). My original knife has done a couple hundred fish and it's still performing well. The only downside is the 6" blade.

If you shop around you can still find the American Angler one. There is quiet a few on eBay. Also if you know anyone in the US, Wal-Mart stores there still sell them.
The Rapala one which I just picked up comes with three different blade sizes. 6", 7 1/2", and 9". The blades can be bought separately if you want the longer ones.

Murr15
01-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I love mine I have the rapalla cordless