PDA

View Full Version : Shore fishing the Bow?

Jason.seaward
04-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Hi. My wife and I are heading to Calgary over the weekend and it will be my first time fishing the Bow.
Any recommended areas/regions good for shore fishing? We don't own waders yet, so we are limited.
Thanks!!

The Fisherman Guy
04-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Hi Jason, good to hear you are planning on fishing the Bow during your time in YYC. First we need to know if you will be spin or fly fishing - I assume spin, as this was not posted in the fly fishing section.

This time of year can be productive for spin fishermen, as there isn't much going on for hatches quite yet.

Try Rainbow or Brown trout pattern Countdown Rapala's, Panther Martin spinners with silver blades and yellow bodies with red spots. Kamlooper spoons, and hammered brass Crocodile spoons. Swapping out with single hooks will greatly reduce snags.

Head down to Policemans Flats: Policemans Flats Pin (https://plus.google.com/111325149540277299272/about?gl=ca&hl=en)
Fish behind the log jams, and behind the main seam of what is left of the boat launch rip rap.

Fishing in the city, here's a simple map to some spots that hold fish: City map (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=z7NpVlLi3djo.kNnyUs3XKvY8)

TippyCanoe
04-08-2015, 11:40 AM
If you're going to be staying in the downtown area then fish along the left bank, upstream of Princes Island along the large rock armouring. Use the lures listed in the post above. You can hook into browns and rainbows along this stretch.

FireTiger
04-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Hi Jason,

If you are going to be staying downtown it's probably not a good idea to fish 'upstream of Princess Island', as according to the 2015 Alberta Sportfishing Regulations, that section of the river is closed for fishing until June 1.(been that way for years).

The entire section of the Bow from Bowness/Bearspaw Res to the 'Western Headworks Diversion Weir' (located just south of downtown & the zoo) is currently closed (April 1- May 31).

But the river south of there is open for fishing year round all the way down to the Carseland Weir.

Try Fish Creek park in the SE or like Fisherman Guy suggests, try further south at Policemans.

Good luck and have fun.

fishdude17
04-08-2015, 06:41 PM
If you're gothe fishing Regsstaying in the downtown area then fish along the left bank, upstream of Princes Island along the large rock armouring. Use the lures listed in the post above. You can hook into browns and rainbows along this stretch.

This is why you should always check the regs...:thinking-006:

Jason.seaward
04-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone!
So nice to everyone to write back with suggestions! We really appreciate it!
We are looking forward to the road trip.

bryanfewchuk
04-08-2015, 11:10 PM
If you're going to be staying in the downtown area then fish along the left bank, upstream of Princes Island along the large rock armouring. Use the lures listed in the post above. You can hook into browns and rainbows along this stretch.

Good idea :test:

pinelakeperch
04-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Has anyone spin casted Policeman's Flats recently? I'm dying to get out.

clarki
04-23-2015, 09:58 AM
dont be shy to toss a good old fashioned five of diamonds with brass finish either. the browns love them in the Bow

deano519
04-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Do many guys use lures and spinners for C&R? In my experience even with the barbs pinched those lures do a lot of damage to trout..Im not saying its unethical and not trying to spark a debate just curious on what people think.

lds
04-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Do many guys use lures and spinners for C&R? In my experience even with the barbs pinched those lures do a lot of damage to trout..Im not saying its unethical and not trying to spark a debate just curious on what people think.

I use them all the time with pitched bards and doesn't seam to do much harm. Rarely get any blood

cranky
04-23-2015, 01:12 PM
I pinch the barbs and cut off one hook from the treble on my spoons. Makes them easier to unhook. Rarely seem to get any blood. Dosent seem to make any difference to the way the spoon runs.