PDA

View Full Version : Watch for falling fish

hacman
04-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Obviously a little more money gets put into the Colorado stocking program.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/holy-carp-watch-these-planes-bomb-lakes-with-live-fish-1602756273

edmhunter
04-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Is that ever cool eh?

I didn't noticed but were the fish wearing parachutes?

And people don't believe that duck are stocking ponds with perch eggs, now we know it's a fact! :)

omega50
04-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Hopefully barbless regulation to reduce mortality in that lake

the local angler
04-09-2015, 06:08 PM
it boggle my mind that the fish can survive this fall from such and altitude. cause when you are at a swimming pool and do a belly flop from the edge of the pool it hurts cause i tried it. it really knocks the wind out of you.

greylynx
04-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Obviously a little more money gets put into the Colorado stocking program.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/holy-carp-watch-these-planes-bomb-lakes-with-live-fish-1602756273

There were rivers stocked in North Western Alberta in the same manner.

FlyTheory
04-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Well that's efficient but it's also kinda fū***d up. How many fish would survive a 15m fall at 160km/h? It would make more sense to use one of those fire-fighting water bags attached to a helicopter and drop fish into the lake at half a meter off the water. It'd be more expensive to use a chopper, and much slower. But still

Battery
04-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Well that's efficient but it's also kinda fū***d up. How many fish would survive a 15m fall at 160km/h? It would make more sense to use one of those fire-fighting water bags attached to a helicopter and drop fish into the lake at half a meter off the water. It'd be more expensive to use a chopper, and much slower. But still

Those fish probably weigh so little that the fall wouldn't even stun them

Sumara
04-10-2015, 12:44 AM
That's so cool! I'm shocked it doesn't harm the fish but if it works, why not!

Brandonkop
04-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Yeah they use this method a lot for stocking the California Sierra lakes as well. Apparently the survival rate is really good besides the odd one that doesn't hit the water and ends up stuck in a tree.

Back in the day they first stocked the Sierras by packing the fish in with mules. How technology has changed things.

Thanks for the post neat to actually see it.