PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasting setup

jhillock
04-09-2015, 09:53 PM
With open water season looming, and RELM emailing me 2015 licenses now available for purchase, I feel the start of the itch.

Which brought up my quest to acquire the rig I never got around to purchasing last year: a casting rod and reel.

Being a spinning guy my entire life, I have as good a chance picking a proper set up on my own as a kid set loose in a candy store asked to pick himself out a healthy snack. And once again, seemingly limited to my left-handedness (reel wise), this could get frustrating.

Anyone have any good advice? Specific products to look/stay away from?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

davegrant
04-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Don't go any cheaper than $100 for the reel because the cheap models don't have the proper breaking and are very difficult to stop backlashes. The Shimano Caenan 101 is a good starter choice with a Clarus rod or I have a Quantum Tour KVD 151 (paid $289 only used 4 times)and Rapala walleye team rod 6ft7 Medium for sale for $170. Couple hours practise on the lawn and hang up the spinning gear except for 1/8 oz or lighter lures. :)

Wild&Free
04-10-2015, 12:26 AM
What are you fishing for?
Where do you intend on fishing?
Boat, shore, still water, flowing water?
Do you have a rod already or buying a full setup?

I like the ambassadors by Abu, use a 5500 for most of my Alberta fishing, have a 5000, 6000 and 7000 and various rods for different applications I don't get to experience here.

jhillock
04-10-2015, 11:07 AM
What are you fishing for?
Where do you intend on fishing?
Boat, shore, still water, flowing water?
Do you have a rod already or buying a full setup?

I like the ambassadors by Abu, use a 5500 for most of my Alberta fishing, have a 5000, 6000 and 7000 and various rods for different applications I don't get to experience here.

Mainly buying for the river, not sure where else as that's a preferred setup for heavy bottom fishing rigs? (Never been familiar with them)And looking for a Rod and reel.

CanuckAngler11
04-10-2015, 01:00 PM
I have a Lew's speed spool LFS in left hand! First baitcaster and it works great spooled with 30lb power pro. I ordered it off of www.tacklewarehouse.com

CK Angler
04-10-2015, 01:16 PM
I second the shimano caenan, I bought one last year and really enjoy it.

Edit: I am also left handed, bait casters aren't as hard to find as you may think.

AppleJax
04-10-2015, 02:11 PM
If you looking for a heavy river setup (targeting Sturgeon?) here is a couple I am running.

Fenwick Eagle GT 9'6 XH, with Abu Garcia 6600 round baitcaster, spooled with 50lb Powerepro.

Berkley Glowstick 8' MH, Simano Corvalus 400, spooled with 50lb Powerpro.

I prefer the Fenwick and Abu, but the second setup works just fine as well. Do you need advice on sturgeon rigs?

AJ

Djm2u
04-10-2015, 02:43 PM
I just started with bait casters last year. This was a good artical I found on how to set the brakes to avoid backlash.....

http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/education/baitcaster-setup-101.html

jhillock
04-10-2015, 03:46 PM
If you looking for a heavy river setup (targeting Sturgeon?) here is a couple I am running.

Fenwick Eagle GT 9'6 XH, with Abu Garcia 6600 round baitcaster, spooled with 50lb Powerepro.

I prefer the Fenwick and Abu, but the second setup works just fine as well. Do you need advice on sturgeon rigs?

AJ

Yes I would like to target sturgeon with this rig, but hoping to find something not too heavy as I'd hate to miss anything else that might like a snack in the NSR.

You guys are awesome, my apologies for not being more specific as I'm sure that would've helped.

YeeHaw
04-10-2015, 04:58 PM

AJ

Hot the same set up and find its great on the NSR. Caught walleye, Goldwyn, sucker, everything bit what it was intended for.

bushnell
04-10-2015, 08:47 PM
So why didn't you ask me

jhillock
04-10-2015, 09:01 PM
So why didn't you ask me

Because I wanted a collaboration lol. I was going to call you tomorrow and see if you wanted to meet up.

Wild&Free
04-10-2015, 10:56 PM

AJ

I like the Fenwick eagle's, I seriously considered one when putting my rig together, but went with a different brand which I can't recall atm because of eyelet insert material. Not a fan of aluminium eyes. though I wouldn't put 50# on a 6600, anything over 40 is for the 7000 series, but casting a 7000 for a couple hours get old.

I like the Shimano Convergence rod series for cost and quality combination. they're good in the 10-11' range which I have 3 of for salmon/steelhead, never looked into the shorter ones.

To the OP, make sure you match line rating for the reel as close as you can to the rod, will make casting easier, fast action is best for rivers imo, sensitive tip with good backbone in a MH weight if going for sturgeon. length helps for leverage too, fighting a +30# spring on a 8' is a lot different then on an 11'.

Maybe this year ill head down to the nsr and try to pop my sturginity

jhillock
04-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Update:
Found a heck of a deal on a LH retrieve Abu Garcia 5501, $140 reel for 74.99.

I think I've also settled on my rod and looking where has the best price on a Berkley Glowstick 9'. (Looks like Cabelas)

Now to put it all together and spool her up with some powerpro line....

After I use some cheap mono to practice with, and the teachings of my good buddy Bushnell who is helping me through this new skill I hope to master one day.
:sHa_shakeshout:
Thanks to all who have their $0.02,

Cheers!

CK Angler
04-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Just an FYI if you don't already know, when spooling with braid make sure you have a mono backing so the line won't slip. So first few wraps with mono, then tie line to line and spool away with braid.

Cheers !

jhillock
04-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Yup, already was informed of that, but thanks.

And once again thanks to everyone for their input!