PDA

View Full Version : Dewitt's Pond

FishingWithMelissa
04-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Hey all, anyone know if it's too soon to fish at Dewitt's Pond? When does it get stocked?

recce43
04-10-2015, 09:51 AM
nose creek pond in airdrie is stocked already not sure about dewitts

Scottmisfits
04-10-2015, 04:03 PM
I was there today with no luck. Might not be using the proper lures though. According to the stock reports it hasn't been stocked since June 2013. Are they still stocking it?

jts1
04-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes Dewitts is till getting stocked. I was informed today that they will be dumping 600 Browns this year along with the Rainbows. Crosfffield has a pond also.

spinN'flyfish
04-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes Dewitts is till getting stocked. I was informed today that they will be dumping 600 Browns this year along with the Rainbows. Crosfffield has a pond also.

sweet, the browns will be fun, any in crossfield being stocked?

jts1
04-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Not that I heard of.

TROLLER
04-11-2015, 01:49 PM
What do you want to bet they have it pretty well fished out by mid June at the latest.

recce43
04-11-2015, 02:05 PM
What do you want to bet they have it pretty well fished out by mid June at the latest.

Went to airdrie pond with my son he is 8 than the wind started blowing and snow started . Boy fished for 45mins . Had to leave dad wimped out lol

spinN'flyfish
04-11-2015, 09:38 PM

x2 too close to canada's 4th largest city lol

Went to airdrie pond with my son he is 8 than the wind started blowing and snow started . Boy fished for 45mins . Had to leave dad wimped out lol

did he have any luck, i still have it hard to believe that airdrie pond got stocked this early

FishingWithMelissa
04-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Haha, did your son catch anything though?

FishingWithMelissa
04-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Great! Do you know when Dewitt's will be stocked?

recce43
04-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Did catch anything wind was howling . Another kid there caught one

wildcat111
04-12-2015, 05:38 PM
dewitts will have 600 browns put in there this week and trout stocked the 2nd week of may

FishingWithMelissa
04-13-2015, 08:56 AM
dewitts will have 600 browns put in there this week and trout stocked the 2nd week of may

Where are you getting your stock reports from? The report I found was last updated in 2013.

Kyle
04-13-2015, 09:05 AM
What a waste to stock 600 browns into a fishery that will be fished out in a couple months. Would be nice to see them stocked into a lake where they can grow.

the local angler
04-13-2015, 05:23 PM
i agree what a waste cause i noticed the water quality isn't the greatest out there at times so it makes me wonder if they will even survive. i personally would like to see simular BC stocking, like once in the spring and once in the fall instead of two or more stockings in the spring.

spinN'flyfish
04-13-2015, 06:05 PM
i agree what a waste cause i noticed the water quality isn't the greatest out there at times so it makes me wonder if they will even survive. i personally would like to see simular BC stocking, like once in the spring and once in the fall instead of two or more stockings in the spring.

i think brown trout can tolerate filthy water, maybe why they put them in. But I totally agree that its a waste, the pond looses 75 percent of all the fish usually around the last week of may. But the water gets smelly and looks more like a swamp rather that of a trout pond fishery

michaelmicallef
04-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Dewits gets stocked in may. And who cares what kind of trout they put in there? It's a put and take fishery. Not much to choose from as far as where to stock trout in the prairies.

Kyle
04-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Dewits gets stocked in may. And who cares what kind of trout they put in there? It's a put and take fishery. Not much to choose from as far as where to stock trout in the prairies.

They are likely spending more money to stock the browns in and there is way less of them stocked in AB. It would be nice to see them going into a lake with lower limits that wont get fished out/winterkill. I can think of quite a few better lakes to stock them into, lots of choices out there.

michaelmicallef
04-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Too many anglers and not enough water. Thats the deal in southern Alberta. Be glad they are stocking anything the way things are going. I would like to see them get big too but just because you think browns are a prettier or more desirable spoecies to rainbows they are both trout and don't cost any more to raise than rainbows. I will be out at dewits when they stock it and will let everyone know if browns actually get stocked and if there is a price differance between rainbows and browns.

KWO
04-14-2015, 04:24 PM
The pond has been stocked with 2,000 rainbows every year for the past 4 years. Usually 2 stockings in May and June. Based on water testing by Smoky Trout Farms (Rainbow provider), the water quality has improved every year and is very good now. Likely because of weed pulling in the fall by Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association and a local resident removing some snow with his quad in the winter. Based on the size of fish being caught last year, it appears that it hasn't winter killed in the last 4 years.

The 600 Brown Trout being stocked this week are being provided for free because the provincial hatchery produced an overage.

wildcat111
04-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Where are you getting your stock reports from? The report I found was last updated in 2013.

i'm with the airdrie club, we work directly with the farm responsible for stocking the pond

spinN'flyfish
04-14-2015, 05:01 PM
The pond has been stocked with 2,000 rainbows every year for the past 4 years. Usually 2 stockings in May and June. Based on water testing by Smoky Trout Farms (Rainbow provider), the water quality has improved every year and is very good now. Likely because of weed pulling in the fall by Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association and a local resident removing some snow with his quad in the winter. Based on the size of fish being caught last year, it appears that it hasn't winter killed in the last 4 years.

The 600 Brown Trout being stocked this week are being provided for free because the provincial hatchery produced an overage.

That's good to hear about the water. HAven't been to dewitts for many years due to the weeds and water quality I just didn't bother. Well I hope the browns last until June at least to provide a mixed bag for all anglers that go there to fish

wildcat111
04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
i keep seeing people referring to the pond being fished out by the end of may or june, i fish this pond last oct with my son and landed an easy 25-30 rainbows and if memory serves me right last yr it was stocked with 3000 trout, there hasn't been any winter kill in the last 3-4 yrs, right now would be a good time to catch a heathly 2-3 lb rainbow, was on the pond 2 weeks before the ice left and seen tons of fish on the camera, never did seen any of these carp that everyone is talking about but i'm sure there in there.

Kyle
04-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Too many anglers and not enough water. Thats the deal in southern Alberta. Be glad they are stocking anything the way things are going. I would like to see them get big too but just because you think browns are a prettier or more desirable spoecies to rainbows they are both trout and don't cost any more to raise than rainbows. I will be out at dewits when they stock it and will let everyone know if browns actually get stocked and if there is a price differance between rainbows and browns.

In 2014 there was a grand total of 2450 brown trout put into stocked lakes. Overall there was 2,051,364 trout(vast majority were rainbows) put into stocked lakes. About 0.01% of trout stocked were brown trout so I would say that puts them into a more desirable category.

I understand that there is too many anglers and not enough water but when there are bait ban lakes/lower limit lakes available to stock these fish into they should be. As far as I know you can keep 5 fish any size out of dewitts, with bait allowed. Very poor choice of a place to put those fish...but then again with the current fisheries based decisions taking place I cant say I'm surprised.

TROLLER
04-15-2015, 01:11 PM
i keep seeing people referring to the pond being fished out by the end of may or june, i fish this pond last oct with my son and landed an easy 25-30 rainbows and if memory serves me right last yr it was stocked with 3000 trout, there hasn't been any winter kill in the last 3-4 yrs, right now would be a good time to catch a heathly 2-3 lb rainbow, was on the pond 2 weeks before the ice left and seen tons of fish on the camera, never did seen any of these carp that everyone is talking about but i'm sure there in there.

Wonder if anyone else has ever had your kind of luck. Sure would like to know what you were using to tie into that many fish at Dewitts.:sHa_shakeshout:

WhitefishLady
04-15-2015, 01:50 PM
I fished twice there in 2013 (both in July). Only caught one 6" rainbow each time on a prince nymph flyfishing. Good to know there are some still around in the fall but I must admit I'm quite surprised given how close it is to the city. Really wish they would they would lower the limit on these so they can last more than a weekend. That way more people including kids can enjoy it without having to travel too far.

recce43
04-15-2015, 02:10 PM
5 is way to many to keep maybe 2 would be better

jacenbeers
04-15-2015, 11:06 PM
5 is way to many to keep maybe 2 would be better

I agree that two would be better. It didn't work at Mt. Lorette though. They reduced it and it still gets fished out in a couple of days.

WhitefishLady
04-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Yeah that is likely because people are keeping 2 for each child, the dog, etc. be sure to report if you see any poaching :).

If they are going to stock browns in Dewitt's, looking forward to it. I don't live far so might be inclined to take the trip out there soon to see if any rainbows survived the winter.

recce43
04-16-2015, 11:07 AM
airdrie fish and game club stock dewitt pond twice a year they get the kids involved to help stock it .. not sure about browns ?

tracker
04-17-2015, 11:11 AM
I take my young kids there and throw everything back that doesn't get gill hooked somehow. Not sure why anyone'd keep them as they taste like the pasture runoff they swim in.

68firebird
04-21-2015, 03:57 PM
took my son and his little buddy there on Sunday evening with no luck at all, there was about 8 other people fishing and did not see anyone catch a fish.

spinN'flyfish
04-26-2015, 09:59 PM
how has the fishing been, thinking of hitting it for some brown trout action next weekend if I have time

Battery
05-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Now that I live in SW Airdrie, I'm about a 5 minute drive away. Will be heading out tonight to try out the new rod/reel. Has it been stocked yet?

Squidlips
05-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Now that I live in SW Airdrie, I'm about a 5 minute drive away. Will be heading out tonight to try out the new rod/reel. Has it been stocked yet?

Yes

the local angler
05-01-2015, 07:34 PM
i was there last week and checked it out but didn't fish. i was impressed with the revamp having actual real garbage units there, new signage's

Battery
05-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Didnt get out tonight as I got caught up watching hockey, think I will head out early AM tomorrow if the weathers nice enough.

spinN'flyfish
05-01-2015, 10:28 PM
I also wonder if the carp is a myth or not, hope it is, it'll ruin the trout fishery

bowness
05-03-2015, 04:37 PM
I was talking to a guy and he told me they started aerating it last winter. I saw a rainbow trout taken that was much bigger than the normally stocked trout. Unless they released larger fish this year it must be an over winter fish.

lds
05-04-2015, 07:13 AM
I also wonder if the carp is a myth or not, hope it is, it'll ruin the trout fishery

Not a myth. The guy beside me caught a couple yesterday and I caught a brown. Lots of people there were targeting the carp. You could see them surfacing everyone in a while. I don't think they are effecting things too much because people have been saying there are carp in there for a few years now and there are still lots of guys that say they haven't seen any so they haven't taken over that little pond and it's been years. Not like other carp species that take over in no time and spread in no time. I'm no expert but that's how I look at it. Either way not a bad pond as that was my first time there

Battery
05-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Got out yesterday for an hour or so, not even a bite. Went around 3 though, so it might have been a bad time as no one around me was catching either.

WhitefishLady
05-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Took my cousin out on Saturday from out of country. He manged one small rainbow on a little spinner. It was cold, windy and gross out so we didn't stay long!

marty1
05-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Not a myth. The guy beside me caught a couple yesterday and I caught a brown. Lots of people there were targeting the carp. You could see them surfacing everyone in a while. I don't think they are effecting things too much because people have been saying there are carp in there for a few years now and there are still lots of guys that say they haven't seen any so they haven't taken over that little pond and it's been years. Not like other carp species that take over in no time and spread in no time. I'm no expert but that's how I look at it. Either way not a bad pond as that was my. first time there
There's thousands of these guys in their, it wii just be a matter of time before the water quality is so bad it won't be able to sustain a trout population. Carp are a very dirty fish the eat a crap a lot, there really no different than a gold fish,if anyone has ever had them in a fish tank knows what I mean.a little pond like that with no water exchange is bound to be doomed.i go their every year for the last 10 and never seen them in their till last.

lds
05-04-2015, 10:02 AM
There's thousands of these guys in their, it wii just be a matter of time before the water quality is so bad it won't be able to sustain a trout population. Carp are a very dirty fish the eat a crap a lot, there really no different than a gold fish,if anyone has ever had them in a fish tank knows what I mean.a little pond like that with no water exchange is bound to be doomed.i go their every year for the last 10 and never seen them in their till last.

Well I guess we will see how they effect it shortly. I've never caught one before. What's the best way. Do you know how I would go about catching them on a fly rod? What do they eat?

marty1
05-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Well I guess we will see how they effect it shortly. I've never caught one before. What's the best way. Do you know how I would go about catching them on a fly rod? What do they eat?

I've caught them on small shrimp and scud imitations then turn around and punt them into the field.

bigbfidaddy
06-19-2015, 04:44 PM
My son and I have caught fish there in every month of the year. "Fished Out" that's an excuse to use when u don't catch is all. There are fish in there and just because they won't hit your power bait or cheese in the first two minutes hardly means that the pond is fished out the fish are just a little smarter and a little fuller but they are there.