PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Kayak

CanuckAngler11
04-10-2015, 01:05 PM
So I'm looking at buying a fishing kayak. I have my eye on the wilderness systems tarpon 120 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this kayak. I am dead set on a sit on top aswell. So if anyone knows of any that might be better pls let me know. Thanks.

Terrannator
04-11-2015, 10:19 AM
It all depends what type of waters you will be fishing. I have the wilderness systems ride 115 and love it since I can stand very easily when fishing. The tarpon is a bit narrower so it'll be a bit faster than the ride, but probably tougher to stand in. Only downside to sit on tops is how heavy they are when transporting, but a kayak cart solves that problem. If you post this on the Canadian Kayak Anglers forum you should get some good advice.

RavYak
04-11-2015, 12:53 PM
The Tarpon is a good but basic boat. It does everything decent but nothing spectacular(unless you get a Tarpon 160, in which case one of the quickest/easiest paddling fishing kayaks).

There are lots of options available. It all comes down to personal preference as to which is right for you.

Things to consider are standing ability, storage, weight capacity, speed, seat comfort, storage size, pedal powered, electric powered and of course price.

Some popular brands are Wilderness Systems, Jackson Kayak, Ocean Kayak, Hobie, Native Kayaks. I wouldn't waste your time with any of the cheaper lower quality brands/boats.

Kurt505
04-11-2015, 01:14 PM
I've got a Jackson Cuda 14, it's a pretty stable boat you can stand on, kind of good for both rivers and still waters, not the fastest or most manouverable boat but not the slowest or most cumbersome either. You can pack a lot of gear on it, and the seat is really comfortable and can be mounted hi or low.

Trooper23
04-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Wife and I just bought two Perception 12.5" caster angler kayaks from some great people here on AO and they are great stable, roomy platforms for fishing. Comes with all that is needed for fishing or having fun. Lots of room for your "extras".

CanuckAngler11
04-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks! The reason I was looking at the tarpon was the angler package but the ride 115 is sounding good too

ETOWNCANUCK
04-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Ok where are you fellers buying the wilderness systems
And where else in Alberta/ Edmonton can you find a selection

Northern Yaker
04-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Aquabatics in Calgary I believe sells Wilderness kayaks. Other places are Glenmore sailboats in Calgary and Edmonton. Valhalla pure outfitters in Red Deer. You can order any Ocean Kayak product from the fishing hole ( I am currently awaiting a new Prowler Big Game 2). Just because a store doesn't have it in stock doesn't mean they won't order it for you to get you into the boat you really want. Hope this helps some.

Best selection in western Canada would be through Western Canoe and Kayak in Abbotsford.

RavYak
04-11-2015, 08:20 PM
All these companies have a dealer list on their website but here is the skinny on Edmonton in particular.

Glenmore Sailboats has Wilderness Systems and Hobie Kayaks.
Fishinhole has Ocean Kayak models.
Totem Outfitters has Jackson Kayak models.
Cabelas had Ocean Kayak as well, not sure if they still do.
MEC has Feelfree Kayak models.
Canadian Tire has Pelican models.

One of the main brands we don't have here is Native in which case you have to go to Aquabatics in Calgary or Awesome Adventures in Lethbridge.

I might have missed something but I believe that covers majority of fishing kayak dealers here in Edmonton.

ETOWNCANUCK
04-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Good info here

CanuckAngler11
04-11-2015, 11:04 PM
So basically between the tarpon 120 and the ride 115 what should I do?

Terrannator
04-11-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure what the dealers where you are offer, but many places have a demo day for all their kayaks. I would look into that, I did a demo here in saskatoon when I was deciding between the tarpon and the ride.

CanuckAngler11
04-11-2015, 11:22 PM
OK I'll have to check it out I know of one edmonto dealer that deals wilderness kayaks

dynofish
04-12-2015, 07:10 AM
I bought an old town predator 13 from atmosphere in red deer for $820, 2 weeks ago they had one left in Edmonton at the west ed store, awsomwe deal for what you get, If not call aquabatics is calgary they have an ocean kayak trident hanging from the ceiling, I cant tell you the deal he offered me but its well under $1000.

dynofish
04-12-2015, 07:16 AM
I bought an old town predator 13 from atmosphere in red deer for $820, 2 weeks ago they had one left in Edmonton at the west ed store, awsome deal for what you get, If not call aquabatics is calgary they have an ocean kayak trident hanging from the ceiling, I cant tell you the deal he offered me but its well under $1000. Not trying to sway you wilderness is a great kayak thats what I was gonig to buy untill I came across my deal at atmosphere.

Bowman90
04-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Ocean kayaks are nice I am purchasing a trident 13 its must check out!

RavYak
04-12-2015, 09:51 AM
The Trident 13 is nice and was my first kayak and now my spare. The only downside to them is the crappy seat. After my seat ripped I upgraded to the Surf to Summit GTS Expedition and that helped a lot.

Imo the best kayaks to consider are

Pedal Kayaks:
Hobie Revolution, look nice and I wanted to try one, lack of storage might be an issue.
Hobie Outback, great all around. More room then Revo and smaller then Pro Angler.
Hobie Pro Angler, great but massive. Hard to really consider it a kayak.
Native Mariner Propel, neat propel system that has reverse which would be nice.
Native Slayer Propel, similar to mariner but looks like a better layout.

Paddle Kayaks
Ocean Kayak Trident 13, good all around, crappy seat. Can stand with decent balance.
Ocean Kayak Big Game 2, good all around, improved seat. A little slower probably.
Old Town Predator,
Jackson Cuda 12 or 14, good all around. Good seat. Can stand.
Jackson Coosa, good for small bodies of water/rivers. Can stand.
Jackson Kraken, looks like an awesome long distance paddling boat. Might
Native Ultimate, cool canoe style hybrid. Can stand.
Wilderness Tarpon 120/140, decent but basic. Can't stand easily.
Wilderness Tarpon 160, good long distance paddling boat. Can't stand.
Wilderness Ride 115 or 135, good all around boat. Comfortable seat. Can stand.
Wilderness A.T.A.K, looks very good for a paddle kayak. Built for standing.

Electric Kayaks
Ocean Kayak Torque
Old Town Predator Minn Kota
Hobie with Torqueedo(if you are made of money)

All in all it comes down to what you want from a kayak and how much you are willing to spend.

Stryker2
04-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Was doing some research on kayaks myself, and thought the Feelfree Lure looked like a good kayak. Very stable to stand on and nice seat that sits high for fishing and then you can lower many position to very low for paddling. But you said you don't want a SOT...IMO the SOT is the only way to go for fishing...:thinking-006:

Northern Yaker
04-12-2015, 01:41 PM
If you want a sit inside look at the Jackson Kilroy. Only sit in on the market that's built to stand in. Saw one in person last week looks like an amazing boat.

greylynx
04-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Wow:

Look at the kayak selection we have today compared to a few years ago on AO.

That should interest our AO salesmen for some advertising dough. Mind you, the kayak fishing article in that one AO publication is maybe what brings all the interest to this site. Who knows.

I think fishing kayaks are here to stay. In Ontario guys use kayaks for Sunfish to Steelhead.

Great posts you guys.

RavYak
04-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Yup Kayak fishing has been becoming more and more popular not just here but all over the world. Once a couple of these companies started producing good quality fishing oriented kayaks and word got out the industry exploded.

JeffGoudreau
04-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Hey Canuck. I've owned the kayaks you are looking at. The questions should be asked. What kind of fishing do you want to do. All around kayaks would be the tarpon 12 and trident 13. Tarpon is faster. Trident you can stand. Jackson cudas are great if you don't have far to go. I'm selling one right now. They out fish most all kayaks if you place two in a small bay. I carry 6 rods or so and can lay them at my feet and fish hard. Stand easy. BUT if you are into trolling or anything forget the cuda. If you have a line on a tarpon 120 then buy it bro. Just get a drift sock to go with it. They drift fast. I've drifted next to a lot of fishing kayak varieties and it drifts real fast. So a 40$ sock goes along way. But very versotile for fishing. No need for length around here. 160s are for real big water conditions.
I've fished a ton if kayaks. You can't go wrong with the tarpon. The ride is a very nice kayak as well. Both great picks. The beauty of these is that you can resell them after a year for almost your purchase price. So don't stress.

old dog
04-12-2015, 04:35 PM
I have a wilderness 115x angler. I love the fish finder docking station, it keeps your all your fish finder components in one box. And I love it. If u are moving longer distance I would suggest a bit longer.

CanuckAngler11
04-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Hey Canuck. I've owned the kayaks you are looking at. The questions should be asked. What kind of fishing do you want to do. All around kayaks would be the tarpon 12 and trident 13. Tarpon is faster. Trident you can stand. Jackson cudas are great if you don't have far to go. I'm selling one right now. They out fish most all kayaks if you place two in a small bay. I carry 6 rods or so and can lay them at my feet and fish hard. Stand easy. BUT if you are into trolling or anything forget the cuda. If you have a line on a tarpon 120 then buy it bro. Just get a drift sock to go with it. They drift fast. I've drifted next to a lot of fishing kayak varieties and it drifts real fast. So a 40$ sock goes along way. But very versotile for fishing. No need for length around here. 160s are for real big water conditions.
I've fished a ton if kayaks. You can't go wrong with the tarpon. The ride is a very nice kayak as well. Both great picks. The beauty of these is that you can resell them after a year for almost your purchase price. So don't stress.
That is for the advice. I will mainly be just fishing lakes and ponds and standing is not something I'm too worried about.

CanuckAngler11
04-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks for*

JeffGoudreau
04-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Then a t120 is a fantastic pick. It's faster than others in its length. Stable in rough stuff. Comfortable. It's not all cheap hardware on the deck like OK products. If used one in 3 foot chop drifting the Detroit river in close to freezing conditions and felt comfortable and safe.

Just get a drift sock and a drag anchor set up if you want to be efficient working an area with any wind. Or you'll be setting up for a drift and be on the shore after a cast or two after the fish are spooked.

Good luck. There are tournaments and anglers around Alberta. You can find some on Canadian kayak anglers website. Get togethers and stuff. I started the site back in 2008. I don't spend much tome there anymore but there's a good bunch of guys around Alberta.

Have a good season!